Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Playing a game of mix and match

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Playing a game of mix and match

Well I posted this in the Gen III section, but I figure I might be able to get a better set of responses here in the Hybrids section.

Hey everyone. Going through the process of building an LM7 which I plan on putting in a 240SX. I just had a few questions before jumping onto more parts while the block and heads are at the machine shop.

1 - LS7 Coils are different then LS1 coils from what I'm reading, though from some of the diagrams I've found for the harness wiring they don't look too different. As long as I get the coil pack harness for the LS7 (which I believe is GM part #12601824) I should be fine correct? They shouldn't have issues with a Gen III ECU? I know someone's going to recommend truck coils, but sadly I can't run them. In the process of collecting parts for this engine I ended up getting Holley Valve covers to reduce the engine clutter and the damn things sadly don't line up with valve cover mount points.

2 - Serpentine systems right now are throwing me for a loop. I've been lurking the F/S threads here and some other forums but cannot find a newer F-body set of brackets up for sale. I've been looking around on different sites and cannot find any vendors selling complete refurbs/new/used sets anywhere so I've had to branch out. Upon hunting around I found a kit on Jegs and Summit for the CTS-V that are complete (minus the water pump and harmonic balancer) but they claim they don't work with iron blocks. I'm not sure, nor can I get anyone to confirm if that comment is for the iron LSX crate engines or for any LS style iron block. I'm staying away from the Corvette style to keep everything tight to the engine, also have hopes to find a way to get a sidemount supercharger setup to work with it.

Any input would be great!
Old 03-25-2015, 11:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

1 Simply relocate the coils you've got.
2 Lots of places sell accessory drives:
http://paceperformance.com/i-6255429...6-engines.html

Search here for a writeup on putting the 98-02 F body accessories on an iron block. It involves drilling and tapping one hole.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:59 AM
Teching In

I have no coils currently. They did not come with the engine cause I bought it as a short block.

I'm trying to stick to OEM/GMPP for replacement parts.

Edit:

As for the accessory drives I'll look into that set as well. Trying to find the tightest setup I can to the engine.

Last edited by Signit; 03-25-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Same OEM GMPP package, just look up the part number. Probably the same as the Summit you looked up, but a few bucks cheaper.
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...umber=19155066

As for coils, I know others have swapped truck and car....not seen anything specific to LS7

Last edited by garys 68; 03-25-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:44 PM
Teching In

I found that on GMPP last night while shopping around. The only issue I'm running into is the lack of knowledge if it will bolt up. Not sure if it just needs the alternator hole mod, cause if that's the case I'll just have the machine shop do it.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:45 PM
Teching In

garys, I might have to start looking at the setup you originally sent. I contacted GM about the original serpentine system I was looking at from the CTS-V and the tech said it doesn't mesh with the LM7's or any production iron block. Not sure that's 100% true, but I took it as a sign to move onto other options.

Edit:

Also, while seeing what GMPartsDirect could do on that serpentine drive I noticed that the images don't match up... The GMPartsDirect look to have the Corvette style mount for the alternator, but show a CTS-V image where as the Pace Performance images show something that looks more F body:

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm

http://paceperformance.com/i-6255429...6-engines.html

Obviously generic images could be used. Can anyone confirm that this is the part number (#19155066) for the F body layout for the serpentine system and not the Corvette?
Old 03-26-2015, 12:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Contact them. Guessing they say no to iron block simply because of the missing bolt hole. Search LS1 accessories on the Pace site, lots olf options.
A few below.
BTW if you google the part number, you'll find lots of vendors selling the same GMPP package
C5 vette
http://paceperformance.com/i-6255430...7-engines.html
F body, no AC
http://paceperformance.com/i-6255430...7-engines.html
Old 03-26-2015, 06:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Signit
Hey everyone. Going through the process of building an LM7 which I plan on putting in a 240SX. I just had a few questions before jumping onto more parts while the block and heads are at the machine shop.

1 - LS7 Coils are different then LS1 coils from what I'm reading, though from some of the diagrams I've found for the harness wiring they don't look too different. As long as I get the coil pack harness for the LS7 (which I believe is GM part #12601824) I should be fine correct?
Are you confusing LM7 and LS7? Two different animals.

Tipsy
Old 03-26-2015, 09:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by garys 68
Contact them. Guessing they say no to iron block simply because of the missing bolt hole. Search LS1 accessories on the Pace site, lots of options.
I'll contact Pace again. I spoke to them about LS3 accessories, but they didn't mention if they were compatible, more so gave me links and moved on with their lives. I need to power search this and other forums to see what people are using for their LM7's (5.3L) serpentine drives besides Vette stuff.

The Corvette accessory drive setup is nice and high for the low car application, but it sucks at keeping everything tight to the engine for those with limited bay space/trying to add a side mount supercharger.

If I could find the GTO accessory drive I'd be set.

Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger
Are you confusing LM7 and LS7? Two different animals.
Um... No... LM7 is the iron block 5.3L which I have. LS7 is 7.0L aluminum block

As for my other question for the coils, the LS7 coil pack sub harness (which is the same as an LS2) from what I'm reading should mate up to an LS1 style harness correct? If so I just need to find the part number for the coils.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Signit
Um... No... LM7 is the iron block 5.3L which I have. LS7 is 7.0L aluminum block
Thanks for the snide reply. The reason I asked is because you stated you have an LM7 block and inquired about an LS7 coil harness with a part number that's listed as having Silverado & Sierra fitment (12601824). Being that the LM7 has been used in the Silverado & Sierra and the LS7 obviously has not, I thought you were perhaps confusing the two.

Tipsy

Last edited by TipsyMcStagger; 03-26-2015 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

As for my other question for the coils, the LS7 coil pack sub harness (which is the same as an LS2) from what I'm reading should mate up to an LS1 style harness correct? If so I just need to find the part number for the coils.
GM used two different connectors and three different coil pack harnesses over the entire span of the LSx family

First was the F/Y-body LS1/6 coils/harness. They use a unique connector and are center mount main harness connector

Second is what 90% of all LSx coils used. Similar to the first, but has the more common coil connector and a center connector for the main harness. These include all truck coils, square, triangle, round, heatsink etc, LS2/3/7 coils and everything thats not specifically a LS1 coil

Third is the LSA/LS9 harness which is the same as #2 except it has a rear connector to the main harness. These used LS3 "flat" coils

The sub harness to main harness connector for all 3 interchange directly. LS1 coils must use a LS1 sub harness, all other coils can use either of the other two
Old 03-26-2015, 01:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger
Thanks for the snide reply. The reason I asked is because you stated you have an LM7 block and inquired about an LS7 coil harness with a part number that's listed as having Silverado & Sierra fitment (12601824). Being that the LM7 has been used in the Silverado & Sierra and the LS7 obviously has not, I thought you were perhaps confusing the two.

Tipsy
No intention of being snide was intended. My poor attempt at explaining obviously came off that way. Figured mentioning I had an iron block in my OP made it clear I was using an iron block and trying to find out if parts from a non iron block would work, i.e. hybrid section question.

Originally Posted by Pocket
GM used two different connectors and three different coil pack harnesses over the entire span of the LSx family

First was the F/Y-body LS1/6 coils/harness. They use a unique connector and are center mount main harness connector

Second is what 90% of all LSx coils used. Similar to the first, but has the more common coil connector and a center connector for the main harness. These include all truck coils, square, triangle, round, heatsink etc, LS2/3/7 coils and everything thats not specifically a LS1 coil

Third is the LSA/LS9 harness which is the same as #2 except it has a rear connector to the main harness. These used LS3 "flat" coils

The sub harness to main harness connector for all 3 interchange directly. LS1 coils must use a LS1 sub harness, all other coils can use either of the other two
Exactly the detail of information I was looking for. I'm definitely copying this post to save somewhere for reference.

Now to find LS2/7 coil packs!

Quick Reply: Playing a game of mix and match