Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!!! C5 ls1 swap won't start....

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP!!!! C5 ls1 swap won't start....

Swapped in a stock 2003 corvette engine into my toyota truck. Using the stock engine harness and computer. I have efi live and have loaded a manual trans file to the pcm from tunefile.com. I am running a manual trans. Engine, harness, and pcm were originally from a automatic. Am I missing something? I converted the harness myself and used a bp automotive ls fuse/relay block. Any info and help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:22 AM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Does it have spark? Fuel?
Old 03-26-2015, 05:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vortectoy
Swapped in a stock 2003 corvette engine into my toyota truck. Using the stock engine harness and computer. I have efi live and have loaded a manual trans file to the pcm from tunefile.com. I am running a manual trans. Engine, harness, and pcm were originally from a automatic. Am I missing something? I converted the harness myself and used a bp automotive ls fuse/relay block. Any info and help is greatly appreciated.
Disable VATS, perform a crank re-learn, it also could be looking for a neutral safety switch input as a requirement to start. Make sure all 3 grounds are connected to back of PS head. Could be a number of other things, but, these are most likely.

If those areas are good & still no start, connect laptop to the PCM & pull up the virtual dashboard in the data logger. Look for any MAF, MAP, spark while cranking the engine, then check injector cycling & fuel pressure.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:08 AM
Teching In

I have disabled vats.i have never done a crank relearn. I'll look into the neutral switch. I have a gauge on the fuel rail and I've got 62 psi there. I'm new to the efi live stuff so it's hard for me to navigate currently. I'm learning though. I will try/check said things after work tonight.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

Have you checked for spark? Tried starting fluid? If the engine has sat for a while the injectors could be stuck.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:05 AM
Teching In

I have not checked for spark yet. Will be when I get home around 3 today. And if it's got spark I might try starting fluid. And I kind of doubt all eight injectors are stuck. But maybe. Engine has been sitting for 10 years.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If the engine has been sitting for 10 years with the fuel lines disconnected, it is somewhat likely injectors are stuck.

If starting fluid makes it fire, verify pulse to the injectors with noid light. If it has a pulse and fuel pressure, injectors are stuck. I had to boil mine to get it to run on more than 4, and it had only been sitting 1.5 yrs.

If starting fluid doesn't work, then it's spark related.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Well I checked for spark. It had it. So I shot some starting fluid in it and it fired up! So I pulled the injectors. Like a couple of you said, "injectors could be stuck', they all were. I boiled them in water for three minutes then shot them heavily with carb cleaner as well as using a battery to pulse power to them. Also using compressed air regulated to 45psi to clean them out. Put them back in and the engine roared to life! Thanks guys for your help! Soooooo very much appreciated!
Old 03-26-2015, 10:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

I've seen all eight injectors be stuck on engines that have sat considerably less time than 10 years, I think it has to do with the crap gas we have these days. Congrats on getting it to start, that's always a good feeling!
Old 03-27-2015, 03:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vortectoy
Engine has been sitting for 10 years.

10 yrs? Might want to mention this up front on the next one.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I had the stuck injectors problem the first time, I started flushing new fuel through fuel rails that I had and capped them off with russell connectors and plugs. So far, keeping fresh gas sealed in them keeps them from drying up and sticking.

I also think boiling was a fairly efiicient way to clean them, I used dawn dish soap and couldn't believe how much crap came out.

Glad this worked out for you, sometime's they're too far gone.

Quick Reply: HELP!!!! C5 ls1 swap won't start....