Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette alternator wiring question/g body

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Corvette alternator wiring question/g body

I have a 08 L92 with corvette front drive assembly .This is going in my 87 Monte Carlo SS.My question is do I need to install a resistor inline of existing alternator wiring?I have 1 wire existing from my original alternator harness.I have factory voltmeter gauge and dummy charging light.Was going to hook existing wire up to L terminal on harness coming out of Vette alternator.Any info would be appreciated .

Last edited by mikes87ss; 03-29-2015 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Add pics
Old 03-29-2015, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Old 03-29-2015, 05:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Might work. See if the wire from the "dummy" light has 12vdc on it when the ignition is on.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:51 PM
Teching In

Should work the original brown wire has power with key on and your gauge should work ok
Old 03-30-2015, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just have 1 single red wire from my 99' connector to the brown wire, no extra schtuff. Aftermarket voltmeter works fine.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes87ss
I have a 08 L92 with corvette front drive assembly .This is going in my 87 Monte Carlo SS.My question is do I need to install a resistor inline of existing alternator wiring?I have 1 wire existing from my original alternator harness.I have factory voltmeter gauge and dummy charging light.Was going to hook existing wire up to L terminal on harness coming out of Vette alternator.Any info would be appreciated .
Looking at my ALLDATA, your car has either a charge indicator light or a voltmeter. Not both. So if the car has a voltmeter, the brown/white wire is a resistance wire. That will go to the L terminal of the alternator. If the car has a charge light, hook it up to the L terminal. You will also need to hook up the S terminal of the alternator to the battery terminal of the alternator for the charge light to go out when the alternator is charging.

Russ Kemp
Old 03-31-2015, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Default Corvette alternator wiring

Originally Posted by Russ K
Looking at my ALLDATA, your car has either a charge indicator light or a voltmeter. Not both. So if the car has a voltmeter, the brown/white wire is a resistance wire. That will go to the L terminal of the alternator. If the car has a charge light, hook it up to the L terminal. You will also need to hook up the S terminal of the alternator to the battery terminal of the alternator for the charge light to go out when the alternator is charging.

Russ Kemp
I thought I also had a light on the right side of my dash along with the other info lights that are there.I'm hoping to try to start this up this weekend and didn't want to cook alternator.Thanks for all the info.

Quick Reply: Corvette alternator wiring question/g body