Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 jimmy diamond edition 4x4

Old 03-29-2015, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 jimmy diamond edition 4x4

Looking for advice, my Jimmy's motor is going out and I'm currently debating going back with another 4.3 vortec or going ahead and swapping to cam and headers 4.8.... Anyone done it? Advice?
Old 03-30-2015, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to LS1Tech. I say that because you must be new and missed our fantastic search feature. It's like Google and I believe even powered by Google and pretty badass. I'm willing to bet there are several S-10 / S15 / Jimmy builds in various stages of completion on this vast site covering most of what you need to know from parts acquisition to completion and track times.

People here (myself included) are VERY helpful answering questions when you hit a snag, but you have to at least try first.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Yes, it has been done countless times, maybe not on a Diamond Edition, but on countless other S10 platforms for sure.

2. How much money do you have to spend? Can you fabricate, weld, or turn a wrench? Will you be doing it yourself or is a shop doing the swap? Are you buying a swap kit, or are you piecing some parts together?

3. Advice, search... if you use google, or even the search button on here, and type in s10 LS1, 4.3 to LS, LS1 jimmy, they all bring you results, just read up and figure out what you truck takes to get a LS in there. Your fuel supply should be fine, you'll just need a corvette regulator. Unless you find one dirt cheap, I'd probably look for an aluminum 5.3 or an iron 6.0 and an LS 4L60e to put behind it. You'll need a set of mounts to put the LS in, might need a different oil pan depending on donor engine. Your computer will run the LS, you'll likely need it flashed and you'll need an LS wire harness. Headers are mandatory, so consider that part of the budget. You may also need a bigger radiator to cool the LS.

Good luck.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Envy
1. Yes, it has been done countless times, maybe not on a Diamond Edition, but on countless other S10 platforms for sure.

2. How much money do you have to spend? Can you fabricate, weld, or turn a wrench? Will you be doing it yourself or is a shop doing the swap? Are you buying a swap kit, or are you piecing some parts together?

3. Advice, search... if you use google, or even the search button on here, and type in s10 LS1, 4.3 to LS, LS1 jimmy, they all bring you results, just read up and figure out what you truck takes to get a LS in there. Your fuel supply should be fine, you'll just need a corvette regulator. Unless you find one dirt cheap, I'd probably look for an aluminum 5.3 or an iron 6.0 and an LS 4L60e to put behind it. You'll need a set of mounts to put the LS in, might need a different oil pan depending on donor engine. Your computer will run the LS, you'll likely need it flashed and you'll need an LS wire harness. Headers are mandatory, so consider that part of the budget. You may also need a bigger radiator to cool the LS.

Good luck.
Yes I fabricate and weld, and yes I will be doing the work. I'm not new here and was just curious what common snags I may run into, I have swapped a lm7 into a 71 camaro with custom fabbed(by me) turbo kit with 76mm, also a 91 blazer kit done for cookmaster on here, also done a few fbody 4th gen kits including a twin 62mm kit, was just looking for advice
Old 03-30-2015, 05:54 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I haven't done it, but we have a 4x4 new body style S truck with blown 4.3 sitting so I have researched a good bit.

I've seen a few mentions of the LS truck oil pan being fine except for the diff. A complete front lift kit for the IFS will lower the front diff so the CV axles are in decent alignment. I don't care about doing a lift (and would rather focus $ on the powertrain honestly,) so I plan on doing my own lowering brackets for a tiny amt of lowering of the diff. The Rough Country 2.5" lift looks like it will do the trick too.

The passenger side low AC mount (f-body) requires a chunk out of the frame not unlike a G-body; I think the rest of the S-series / LS accessories compatibility information you'll see for the 2WD guys will tell you what you need to know otherwise.

Exhaust clearance is a different ballgame on 4WD, so plan on trying manifolds and making things work. I don't recall having seen headers for the swap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 jimmy diamond edition 4x4