Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference in crank pulleys?

Old 04-17-2015, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference in crank pulleys?

Hey guys,

I've been trying to finish my Ls3 swap into my 73 Datsun and I've run into yet another problem. Hoping you guys can bail me out.

I've got an LS3 crate engine, I believe it's camaro spec. Using the engine mounts (JCI, very common for LS Datsuns) my alternator is hitting my engine mount bracket / steering rack.

I'm trying to mount it bottom drivers side, I ordered new OEM LS1 fbody brackets to install it. With the bracket in place on the block , the bracket itself is halfway into where my belt would run.

I've been told other people are using this LS1 Fbody bracket and alternator on an Ls3 with no issues.

Is there different spacings for the water pump and crank pulley on LS3's? Am I going to have to order a new water pump and crank for my brand new engine?

Sorry if I didn't explain very well I'm just flustered and upset right now, lol.

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2015, 07:30 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Read one of the Holley accessory bracket install documents; it outlines the 3 depths of accessories with mm measurements. And it explains the use of two optional spacers to match their product to OEM crank pulley depths.

Corvette is short. LS1 F-body is medium. LS3 Camaro is long like the trucks. So it sounds like you have a Vette balancer?
Old 04-17-2015, 08:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jmd
Read one of the Holley accessory bracket install documents; it outlines the 3 depths of accessories with mm measurements. And it explains the use of two optional spacers to match their product to OEM crank pulley depths.

Corvette is short. LS1 F-body is medium. LS3 Camaro is long like the trucks. So it sounds like you have a Vette balancer?

If I just google that document will I find it?

Thats something along the lines I was thinking of, but it blows my mind... I ordered my crate engine straight from the dealer... It's got a Camaro oil pan so I assumed I had a Camaro spec engine, but the accessories make me think vette because of how close to the block they are.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pretty sure a Camaro with an automatic (L99) had VVT so it required truck spacing, if it had a manual (LS3) then no VVT and much closer spacing, Do some reading, I used a 2010 Camaro waterpump on my LY6 Truck motor and had to space the C6 PS/ALT bracket of the head with an one and a half inch spacer and the original crank pulley.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The GM LS3 crate engine uses the Corvette spacing for the water pump & crank pulley. Use the GM Performance Corvette assy drive kit.

Russ Kemp
Old 04-21-2015, 06:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Russ K
The GM LS3 crate engine uses the Corvette spacing for the water pump & crank pulley. Use the GM Performance Corvette assy drive kit.

Russ Kemp
So all LS3 crate engines come with corvette accessories? Even if it doesn't come with a corvette oil pan?

Sorry just trying to get this all figured out.

I don't think I can use corvette accessories. My kit was designed for fbody stuff, corvettter accessories put my alternator to far back hitting my motor mount bracket.

What would be the cheapest pulley/ water pump / water pump spacer I can put on this to give me the same accessories that would come on an LS1 Fbody?

Thanks again!
Old 04-21-2015, 09:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just finished an LS3/4L60E swap into a 1968 Chevelle. I have a thread all about it. The LS3 crate is actually from a Chev SS car, and it has the Corvette style w/p & crank pulley. How would a Corvette alternator position hit your motor mount?

Russ Kemp
Old 04-22-2015, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try the ctsv alternator and bracket. It's in the fbody location but vette spacing.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Russ K
I just finished an LS3/4L60E swap into a 1968 Chevelle. I have a thread all about it. The LS3 crate is actually from a Chev SS car, and it has the Corvette style w/p & crank pulley. How would a Corvette alternator position hit your motor mount?

Russ Kemp
Well I bought an fbody alternator and fbody brackets, because that's what I was told works with my swap. However they are talking about with an LS1 engine.

It's not physically my motor mount that it's hitting. That wasn't a very good description. It's hitting my motor mount bracket, which part of it is attached to my steering rack/crossmember.

I think I read I could buy a spacer to make mine run where an LS1 fbody cars would run. That's what I'm looking for now I guess. And also a crank pulley that will put me at LS1 fbody location.

Hoping someone may have some part numbers of what I need. I'm tired of ordering the wrong stuff lol

Thanks again
Old 04-23-2015, 04:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pdsq98gt
Try the ctsv alternator and bracket. It's in the fbody location but vette spacing.
Is that alternator itself shorter? If not the Vette spacing won't work for me because it puts my alternator to far back hitting my steering rack / engine mount bracket.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you are back to the first post, you need to purchase a fbody crank pulley and either spacers for your waterpump or a new f-body waterpump. That or return all the F body front drive and start over with vet spacing components and adjust your motor mount bracket that is hitting.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:36 AM
Teching In

Yeah I think converting to ls1 fbody is what I need to do.

Now I'm just looking for advice on where to pick up a cheap ls1 crank pulley.

Also what the correct water pump spacer that I need.

I just want to get it right this time and not buy anymore parts I don't need, lol.

Thanks.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

autozone or oreilly both have cheap crank pulleys
Old 04-27-2015, 11:07 AM
Teching In

I've got my crank pulley ordered. Thanks guys.

Does anyone know what water pump spacer I'll need to make this fbody spacing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Difference in crank pulleys?