Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1970 Chevelle Greenbrier Wagon - L96 w/6L90E

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 11:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here are some pics of the radiator with the fans on. The mechanical fan is still on the L96 which will be coming off in the next couple of days. The factory upper rad support fits fine. I will probably get some foam or rubber to set in the top of the support. I either need to drill a hole in the bottom of the support or cut off a the mounting piece in the lower right corner of this stock photo as the fill is right on the hood with no room for the rad cap.

Spectra Premium CU1486 98-02 F-body radiator

You can see that the radiator fill is right on the hood. With the removal of that tab or the modification of the lower core support, this will drop about an inch.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:12 PM
TECH Regular

Here are some additional pics of the Hooker 8501-HKRs installed. I was hoping to use the van manifolds for the economic aspect, but no dice.

Lots of clearance for the brake distribution and lines.

You can see how it's hitting the heat shield for the starter. I think the factory van manifold would work fine here.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:19 PM
TECH Regular

Did a few other things, one of which was to check the bolting of the JGC box to the frame. I was checking the threads and noticed that the lower hole facing from was essentially stripped out. So that meant another 30 minutes at AutoZone. Both items I ordered from AutoZone.com had to be returned. Only ordered them for the discount, but it's nice that they will return in the store. I just wish they weren't so understaffed.

Also, I was looking at renting a sand blaster, but Harbor Freight is going to have a sale on their 100 lb blaster this weekend. So, the goal this week is to clean up and remove a bunch of stuff from the frame and then blast it and the under body of the wagon. Then I'm leaning towards using the Summit Racing epoxy paint or lizard skin sound and heat, or raptor liner. I guess I should make up my mind quick although I'm leaning towards doing the lizard skin on the inside of the car and the raptor liner on the outside, and the epoxy on the frame. So there you have it, complete confusion.

As far as the Raptor Liner, I'm also thinking of covering the utility area of the wagon in it as I'd like to actually use it and not worry about scuffing the paint.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

Oh yeah, got my Tanks Inc. stuff today. Looks like nice stuff. Still a little bent that it didn't get here yesterday, but such is life. I'll probably work on that a little tomorrow too.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sprech
Harbor Freight is going to have a sale...
Search this link using "Ctrl + F" (assuming you're using Windows).

Tipsy
Old 05-31-2015, 12:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like that 2014 AC compressor clears the frame with no issues. That would be a point worth noting.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:33 PM
TECH Regular

It does, and the Sanden that comes with the Vintage Air kit as well as their low mounting bracket should be a non-issue as well.

Tipsy: I just got my print mailer from HF today. In there, it's only $89. I haven't looked yet, but maybe that super coupon will work on the sale price this coming weekend and I can get if for closer to $80.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:24 PM
Launching!

Those hooker manifolds look like they fit pretty good! Too bad they're so spendy. Keep up the good work! I love Chevelle wagons!
Old 05-31-2015, 07:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RacnJsn95
Those hooker manifolds look like they fit pretty good! Too bad they're so spendy. Keep up the good work! I love Chevelle wagons!
Yeah, they are more than I wanted, but any alternative was going to cost me time, that I can't afford and some additional $. All things factored, this was the better way to go. Thanks for the compliment!
Old 06-03-2015, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really could use a picture of a 98-02 core support on the radiator side with no radiator in it.
Here ya go. If you want to buy the lower piece let me know, I'll cut it out and send it to you.

Name:  20150603_1716051.jpg
Views: 3464
Size:  2.81 MB
Old 06-03-2015, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

was there a rubber busing in that hole by chance?
Old 06-05-2015, 12:02 AM
TECH Regular

Bought a lightly used Spectre 901234BK CAI and had to purchase Spectre 9705 MAF tube to integrate the 5 wire non-LS7 MAFS.

Also ordered two PT2304 fan wiring harnesses for the F-body fans.

I could use a few feet of red and black PTFE wire if anyone has extra laying around. I need to add/modify the fuel pump harness for the tank which is vertical.

Last edited by sprech; 06-05-2015 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:08 AM
TECH Regular

As far as suspension is concerned, I'm going to shelve the lift idea for now due to time constraints.

Leaning towards a BMR stage 2 with adjustable upper rear arms to dial in pinion angle. Since this is not a corner carving g-machine, I'm not going to go with all of the bells and whistles. Looking to give it better handling without sacrificing too much of the ride.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:00 PM
TECH Regular

Got the fuel tank dropped off this morning. I knew there was a slim chance that the PA-REC would fit, so I'm going to go with the 6HPT and modify it to work with the EP381, which for the wagon fuel tank means extending it. They are also going to solder on the PTCK and add a baffle just behind where the fuel pump pickup will be. The return will come through the factory pickup which will help to keep fuel in the pump side of the baffle. The sooner I get the tank the sooner I can get this thing running.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

Made some progress today. Completely stripped the frame of everything, getting it ready to media blast it and then paint it with Summit chassis epoxy paint.

See something wrong here?
Old 06-11-2015, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

A small update. I bought a Harbor Freight media blaster, the 100b model. Took me an hour to almost strip one of the rear upper a arms. The line kept plugging. After watching a few videos, I saw a guy that had one and he had to keep shaking it. I figured what was happening was that the media was feeding good for about 10 seconds and then if I opened the valve up, it would avalanche in and then plug the hose, so the video kind of confirmed that for me.

I got a good deal on 2 Boyd JYD's with tires; 17x8 with 4.5" BS and tires as well as a non-op SS hood. They are actually coming from the prison that is doing the Firebird, so they stuck them on and took pics for me.

17x8 w/4.5 BS Boyd JYDs.

I also picked up the lower 98-02 F-body radiator insulators. p/n's 1027-8679 and 10188023.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

Got suspension and steering stuff ordered today. To go with the Jeep Grand Cherokee box.

Centerlink - Moog DS749
P-S-T Polygraphite Super Front End Kit: p/n FEKSPBUI664
Bilstein Rear Shocks: p/n F4BE5E250M0 (f.k.a. AK1044)
UMI rear control arm kit: p/n ABR813 (added adjustable upper control arms)
UMI 1.25" front sway bar: p/n 4035
QA1 GE401-450B front coil overs as well as thrust bearings and wrench
UMI rear springs at factory ride height: p/n 4049R

Up next is to have the rearend rebuilt and should have a roller by the end of next weekend.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

when you do body back on frame dont add the extra bushing to cowl if didnt have it. i helped restore a 70 chevelle to a bbc clone. owner added those and being the metal height difference it didnt have same amount of crush thru the years. we bolted fenders on, tightened core support down it bow out both fenders around wheel opening. we shimmed all old crushed area mounts and it came out ok but chevelle people still know from fenders. car is stiffer handleing over those extra 2 mounts.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 76larkman
when you do body back on frame dont add the extra bushing to cowl if didnt have it. i helped restore a 70 chevelle to a bbc clone. owner added those and being the metal height difference it didnt have same amount of crush thru the years. we bolted fenders on, tightened core support down it bow out both fenders around wheel opening. we shimmed all old crushed area mounts and it came out ok but chevelle people still know from fenders. car is stiffer handleing over those extra 2 mounts.
Gotcha. I don't believe there was an additional cowl to frame bushing and there isn't one in the kit.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

sprech nice build you have going. On post #42 the 4th picture that shows your a/c compressor I see where you are connected to what looks like the factory fuel line. If so can you show the remainder of the rubber tubing or how you have it connected. Im doing my fuel system for my 71 Monte now.

Thanks

Quick Reply: 1970 Chevelle Greenbrier Wagon - L96 w/6L90E