Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

74 Nova LQ4/4L80e Pro Touring

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 03:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 74 Nova LQ4/4L80e Pro Touring

Well this is a completely new world for me so I'm going to apologize before hand for dumb questions, being off track, and just sheer ignorance.

I guess a little back story. After blowing the relatively freshly built fully forged motor I had in my mazdaspeed6 I wrestled with the decision to keep the car or not. I even didn't have a car for a few months and rode my motorcycle everywhere.

Then Colorado decided to change to winter over night and I desperately needed something with 4 wheels to get around in the snow. I found a decently clean 74 Nova on craigslist for a price I couldn't pass up and jumped at the opportunity to own a classic muscle car.

Over the next year I basically replaced the worn out parts that started failing and breaking just to keep the thing running. Then that bug bit me, that damn mod bug came out of no where too! So some shorty headers, a new carb, and a Weiand Team G intake were on the car. This is where my problems started, I had no clue what so ever in tuning a carb'd motor and it seem to fight with me every other day. Finally I broke down and made a call to my cousin who's been building and racing for years and helped me get things dialed in.

Some time passed, as I was just happy everything was running fine. I knew I wanted to ultimately do something with the car, just didn't know what direction to go. Finally decided a Pro Touring setup was what I wanted, as I don't really see that many in my neck of the woods. I found some staggared 18x8 front and 18x9 rear rims on craigslit which where damn near exactly what I wanted. Had some spacers made, got some longer wheels studs, and boom something nice and shiny was on the car for once! I also cut one coil off the front springs just to get the front end out of the clouds and alleviate some the goofy look.

Now comes the fun part, which is where I'm at today. I picked up an entire 2006 2500HD with an LQ4 and 4L80e for $500!!! Yes the truck runs and drives, I actually drove it away from where I got it to my buddies where we're planning to do all the work (he has a garage that his gf has graciously let us use).

So like I said, that's where I'm at now. I signed up to mainly gain as much information as I possibly could before I dug into this and part of me wanted to share the excitement I have.

Oh, I somehow got hooked up with a photographer that wanted to use my car for a photoshoot...so why the hell not?!?!

Old 04-19-2015, 07:25 AM
Staging Lane

Hot Chick and Hot Car can't wait to see where this goes.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

For some reason, I think the car looks better in the last few pics, but I can't quite put my finger on what you changed on it...

Good score on the 6.0! I'll be watching, keep us posted on progress.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:02 PM

Thanks guys!

If I could keep whatever changed in the last few pics all the time, yeah I'd probably make that happen however I don't think I could afford that permanently haha.

So here's what I'm thinking of using for parts, and one thing I forgot to mention, I'm on a pretty tight budget and time frame since this is my daily until it stops snowing and raining here.

For the mounts I was gonna go with BRP Hotrods since its an entire kit and hopefully won't be many problems with fitment.

Headers, still haven't decided yet, still looking.

Wiring harness, there's a reputable local that is real big in putting LSx's in buggies and "toys" that can redo the stock truck harness and remove all unnecessary circuits (I'd do it myself, but time is not on my side, nor patience for that matter).

Fuel system...(how many dots do I need before its obvious I have no clue on this one)....

As much as I want to swap to an LS3 top end, its just not in my budget right now. I was concerned with the stock truck intake fitting under the hood, but thanks to you guys, that concern is no more, so for now I'll be sticking pretty much with the setup I have

I would like to put a decent cam in while I have everything torn down and inspected, still reading/researching that one.

Suspension, was looking at the Hotchkiss TVS and SS396 tubular A arms, but want to get the new powerplant in first.

And finally, for fixing all the cancer spots in the typical Nova places, I have some great connections with Lincoln Tech through my work (mainly my employees) so I'm going to try and see about getting those guys to replace all the panels and possibly paint it. This is all WAY down the road, as in next year probably. Plus part of me wants that sleeper status haha.

I'd greatly appreciate input if my plans are on track. I'm hoping to get all the necessary parts in my hands and then do everything kind of all at once over a week or two...ambitious, most likely, possible, I think so.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:53 PM

Default Injectors

So I know I'm going to need to replace the injectors, and after some reading, it appears the stock injectors are pretty much tapped out on a stock setup. I was looking into 42-44lb injectors, but everything I've found, save for the 8.1L marine injectors, are for ls intakes.

Can anyone point me in a direction for tracking some down?

On a positive note, should be getting the motor and transmission pulled out of the donor vehicle on Friday!!!
Old 04-24-2015, 11:50 PM

Well, started getting the motor pulled today. Unfortunately my buddy was TOO drunk to be of much help but we did manage to get a but of progress done. Basically everything is all unbolted and ready to pull, but the last hour or so I was working in the dark by myself, so I finally gave up haha.

Yeah, its dusty!!!

Fighting with the injector plugs...

I would have taken more pics, but I was doing most of the work...
Old 04-29-2015, 02:37 AM

Default It's Pulled!

Well after many hours of cursing and fighting and knucle busting, we finally got the motor pulled!

Didn't really get into it much due to time constraints, but was able to get the intake pulled off and SOME of the grime that's built up over its lifetime.

We made a mess!!

Finally on the engine stand

Have three of these bastards to take care of

My buddies son wanted to help...why the hell not, let him clean! He actually did end up taking entire FEAD off by himself

Intake off

Definitely need the heads cleaned!!!

Yep, pretty nasty down there

Surprisingly, taking the valve cover off showed a very clean valve assembly!

Close up. Was expecting it to be worse!

All in all was a good day! Now to get the top end torn down to get cleaned and have the heads milled to bump up the compression some.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Boostedhatch
Hot Chick and Hot Car can't wait to see where this goes.
Not sure which one is.hotter

Quick Reply: 74 Nova LQ4/4L80e Pro Touring