Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lsa blower swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought I saw somewhere the comparison of the two compressors & the truck one was bigger. Body of compressor that fits on new Holley bracket is smaller in diameter than the pulley, 4.1" vs pulley 4.4".

This is the one for the new Holley bracket

Last edited by samckitt; 01-23-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by samckitt
I thought I saw somewhere the comparison of the two compressors & the truck one was bigger. Body of compressor that fits on new Holley bracket is smaller in diameter than the pulley, 4.1" vs pulley 4.4".

This is the one for the new Holley bracket
Well I went outside today to pull off my R4 Holley bracket off of my Malibu, and tried slapping in a truck AC bracket and compressor. With BRP mounts the compressor fits in there great. So great in fact, that I'm going to order the Holley accessory bracket spacers for truck, and figure out belt length, and water pump spacers for my fbody water pump and use the truck instead of an R4. It went in like it was made for it, pretty amazing. Thank you for bringing up comparison to an fbody it got my *** out in the cold to problem solve.

I can get some pics during the day if you'd like. I took some with a flashlight but they turned out like crap. Wish the GM low mount would work on my Impala.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 01cherryreds10
Well I went outside today to pull off my R4 Holley bracket off of my Malibu, and tried slapping in a truck AC bracket and compressor. With BRP mounts the compressor fits in there great. So great in fact, that I'm going to order the Holley accessory bracket spacers for truck, and figure out belt length, and water pump spacers for my fbody water pump and use the truck instead of an R4. It went in like it was made for it, pretty amazing. Thank you for bringing up comparison to an fbody it got my *** out in the cold to problem solve.

I can get some pics during the day if you'd like. I took some with a flashlight but they turned out like crap. Wish the GM low mount would work on my Impala.
You doing this all with a supercharger?
Old 01-26-2017, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by samckitt
You doing this all with a supercharger?
no sorry this will be getting a turbo after power tour. I was just letting you know truck ac will fit in this car with brp mounts. I would have to guess that setbacks should let it fit as well. Also would think ctsv/c6 should be pretty compact
Old 01-31-2017, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Default Alignment pin jig....

Any chance I could pay a rental fee to use someone's LSA alignment hole attachment? I'm throwing one on an Ly6.. I'd really appreciate not having to spend 180$ on it.

Scott
Old 01-31-2017, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need to figure out if this would be a better way to go then a single turbo setup. It will be going in my 66 chevelle. So many choices to make when building a car.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wyattroa
I need to figure out if this would be a better way to go then a single turbo setup. It will be going in my 66 chevelle. So many choices to make when building a car.
This is the delima I've been facing since I finished my turbo setup. If you can get one of the pulloff superchargers, the money will be about the same as using a Chinese turbo. If you run a high dollar turbo, and a new supercharger, it still might be cheaper to run a turbo. Fabrication and engine bay simplicity is sort of the deciding factor for me. I'd like a simpler engine bay but that's why I'm planning low mount twin turbos (hopefully).
The ceiling on power level is pretty established with the LSA, but a turbo could go as high as you want.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Are you able to use the stock lq4 valley cover, or would it need to be changed.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by wyattroa
There is no better or worse, only different. You are talking about two completely different animals. You need to decide what your goals are for the vehicle then factor in what your wallet and fabrication skills will allow. No one can answer these questions but you. Parts availability will also be a factor as the used LSA supercharger market is not what it once was. Once you have the goals and limits sorted, the choice will be clear.

Originally Posted by b00sted04
Are you able to use the stock lq4 valley cover, or would it need to be changed.
The stock Gen III valley cover works fine, but the crossover tubes need to be LSA style for best fitment.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Great thread. I've got an ly6 I'm putting into an 86 C10.

I'm trying to figure out the best sc drive/acc bracket setup that will:

1. let me overdrive the blower
2. Retain A/C

The LSXconcepts race drive plus high mount ac and ps/alt brackets look like it would work but is going to be $1000+ in just brackets. I do have all the 08 truck accessories if any can be used. I know I will need an ls3/lsa WP.

I saw Pocket found the stock lsa sc drive for ~$100 and used eBay corvette ps/alt bracket. Not sure how I would make ac work with that?

Any suggestions?
Old 05-06-2017, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SC_Titan
Great thread. I've got an ly6 I'm putting into an 86 C10.

I'm trying to figure out the best sc drive/acc bracket setup that will:

1. let me overdrive the blower
2. Retain A/C

The LSXconcepts race drive plus high mount ac and ps/alt brackets look like it would work but is going to be $1000+ in just brackets. I do have all the 08 truck accessories if any can be used. I know I will need an ls3/lsa WP.

I saw Pocket found the stock lsa sc drive for ~$100 and used eBay corvette ps/alt bracket. Not sure how I would make ac work with that?

Any suggestions?
Well if you want to run High Mount A/C and run the supercharger on a 8 rib belt, there are not a lot of choices. If you have any specific questions about the LSX Concepts parts Ill be glad to help you. and if your interested we also have a new Gilmer Drive that supports High mount A/C
Attached Thumbnails lsa blower swap?-capture.jpg  
Old 05-06-2017, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I am running Olson stuff...

http://www.okw-inc.com/Products.html
Old 05-06-2017, 06:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LSXConcepts
Well if you want to run High Mount A/C and run the supercharger on a 8 rib belt, there are not a lot of choices. If you have any specific questions about the LSX Concepts parts Ill be glad to help you. and if your interested we also have a new Gilmer Drive that supports High mount A/C
Your race drive is on the short list. Has anyone reported belt slip with it? Gilmer drive is cool, but seems overkill for my weekend cruiser.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ford_Assassin
I am running Olson stuff...

http://www.okw-inc.com/Products.html
Olsen looks quality. Appears to use 6 rib. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SC_Titan
Your race drive is on the short list. Has anyone reported belt slip with it? Gilmer drive is cool, but seems overkill for my weekend cruiser.
Haven't had any complaints on belt slipping, The only real complaint I have had a from a few guys telling me they broke their transmissions because they made to much power.
The following users liked this post:
2BFAST (11-25-2022)
Old 05-07-2017, 07:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running 6-rib without any noticeable belt slip. I am using a Goodyear Gatorback belt.

Pictures purely for attention. Last picture shows belt arrangement, but belt was way too long in this picture.

Name:  IMG_2036_zpslewozmjm.jpg
Views: 2770
Size:  1.87 MB

Name:  IMG_1964_zpsqyz1ujjo.jpg
Views: 2865
Size:  1.20 MB

Name:  IMG_1192_zpsrejqnqdl.jpg
Views: 3659
Size:  1.19 MB
Old 07-29-2017, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

I'm thinking about buying the Olsen kit and putting it on my c5. Any ideas on how much power the blower will make on a stock ls1?
Old 07-30-2017, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

So I have read this whole thread and I think I have a handle on what will work for me. I am thinking about getting one of these blowers for my Cougar with a LH8 5.3L...

I currently have a Corvette balancer, LS2 Corvette water pump, Holley alternator bracket on Corvette spacing, no PS, no A/C. From the reading here, I should be able to retain most of it, install a LSA balancer, get the various LSA blower drive tensioners and idlers, and good to go? Am I crazy?

Also, how badly do y'all think the ASA cam would be with a blower...:-)

Andrew
Old 08-02-2017, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ctsvcaddy
Received the new bracket today and test fit it. Everything looks good and lines up. As soon as my heads are done the blower is going on.
Are these still available? Street performance number says out of service when you call. Looking for a high mount ac relocation for an lsa blower.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bodybyvic407
Are these still available? Street performance number says out of service when you call. Looking for a high mount ac relocation for an lsa blower.
Street and Performance went out of business last year, the owner died.

Quick Reply: lsa blower swap?