lsa blower swap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 08:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 08-31-2015, 09:00 AM
Staging Lane

I'll get some more pics of the Kwik bracket w/ the compressor installed as well.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:46 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RLJ676
I'll get some more pics of the Kwik bracket w/ the compressor installed as well.
Thanks a lot.

can you go into more detail on what you did to the motor mounts?
Old 09-01-2015, 06:57 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by OneWS6fan
Thanks a lot.

can you go into more detail on what you did to the motor mounts?
I'm not sure exactly how they did it, but they said they reworked them to move them back about 2" to create clearance for the mini-compressor.

I'll put up the pics w/ the compressor and you can see how tight everything is.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:59 AM
Staging Lane

Old 09-01-2015, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure exactly how they did it, but they said they reworked them to move them back about 2" to create clearance for the mini-compressor.

I'll put up the pics w/ the compressor and you can see how tight everything is.
Thanks for the pics it helps a lot.

Does anybody know how the first gen compares to the second gen in regards to frame clearance?

I'd really like to have a GM FEAD system and AC is a must. This might be the way to go. Using the Kwik AC brackets and modified holley mounts as above. I was planning on the full Holley swap setup anyways
Old 09-01-2015, 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by OneWS6fan
Thanks for the pics it helps a lot.

Does anybody know how the first gen compares to the second gen in regards to frame clearance?

I'd really like to have a GM FEAD system and AC is a must. This might be the way to go. Using the Kwik AC brackets and modified holley mounts as above. I was planning on the full Holley swap setup anyways
I'd think other mounts like the dirty dingos that slide etc might work w/ less mods. Next time I'm at the shop I'll ask the guys what they think, they've done a ton of first gens (this is actually their first second).
Old 10-07-2015, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not sure how far ahead all you guys are but im pretty close to completing mine I ended up buying the kit I wanted too with a 8rib belt setup. Now I just need the hx, and hx pump.
Attached Thumbnails lsa blower swap?-img_20151005_193956.jpg   lsa blower swap?-fb_img_1441325341461.jpg  
Old 10-07-2015, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

That's a clean looking set up.
I plan to use this one:
http://www.lsxconcepts.com/product/l.../#.VhX0hSPn_qA
It'll give me the high mount AC I need.
I've got my SC, but I still need the lid, rails, and HX set up.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by phalanx_vette
That's a clean looking set up.
I plan to use this one:
http://www.lsxconcepts.com/product/l.../#.VhX0hSPn_qA
It'll give me the high mount AC I need.
I've got my SC, but I still need the lid, rails, and HX set up.
Is that enough belt wrap on the supercharger? I'd be concerned about slip, especially if you pulley down. Has anyone ran this yet?
Old 10-08-2015, 11:09 AM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Is that enough belt wrap on the supercharger? I'd be concerned about slip, especially if you pulley down. Has anyone ran this yet?
I would think if that was all that's needed, GM wouldn't engineer all the extra brackets and pulleys that they use on the LSA drive.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

"Our index-able tensioner bracket allows for almost three inches of rotation allowing the use of multiple belt and pulley sizes to accommodate stock or overdrive pulleys combinations "

Straight from the website.
So you can clock the tensioner however you need to get as much wrap as you can.
Its also using the 8 rib belt. There's lots of guys bolting the SC on and running on the truck acc. 6 rib with less wrap.
I'm sure it's fine as long as you're not trying to make 1000hp by spinning a small SC past its limits.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:26 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Our index-able tensioner bracket allows for almost three inches of rotation allowing the use of multiple belt and pulley sizes to accommodate stock or overdrive pulleys combinations "

Straight from the website.
So you can clock the tensioner however you need to get as much wrap as you can.
Its also using the 8 rib belt. There's lots of guys bolting the SC on and running on the truck acc. 6 rib with less wrap.
I'm sure it's fine as long as you're not trying to make 1000hp by spinning a small SC past its limits.
The index-able tensioner is no longer used

Last edited by LSXConcepts; 03-14-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:47 PM
Staging Lane

LSX Concepts: So how much belt wrap do you get with that set up?
Also Would your SC bracket work with a stock Corvette Accy set-up (Obviously with an LSA balancer)? Or would one have to have your whole accy bracket to make it work?
I ask because I'm building an engine for my corvette that I'll use the whole set up for, because I need the high mount AC, but I've been kicking around the idea of tossing an LSA SC on my 1st gen CTS-V, which has Corvette spacing for the Accessories. So if I only needed your SC bracket and use my accessory drive that's already in place that would make things easier, and cheaper.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:52 AM
Teching In

LSX Concepts: So how much belt wrap do you get with that set up?
Also Would your SC bracket work with a stock Corvette Accy set-up (Obviously with an LSA balancer)? Or would one have to have your whole accy bracket to make it work?
I ask because I'm building an engine for my corvette that I'll use the whole set up for, because I need the high mount AC, but I've been kicking around the idea of tossing an LSA SC on my 1st gen CTS-V, which has Corvette spacing for the Accessories. So if I only needed your SC bracket and use my accessory drive that's already in place that would make things easier, and cheaper.
I would have to sit down and calculate the actual percentage difference on belt contact, but it is less than stock because we don't use the two additional idler pulleys so we can make room for the High Mount A/C.

And yes our Supercharger drive will work with the factory corvette spacing accessory drive on the driver side of the engine.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:03 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LSXConcepts
I would have to sit down and calculate the actual percentage difference on belt contact, but it is less than stock because we don't use the two additional idler pulleys so we can make room for the High Mount A/C.

And yes our Supercharger drive will work with the factory corvette spacing accessory drive on the driver side of the engine.
So I wouldn't be able to keep the stock low mount AC?
Old 10-13-2015, 11:25 AM
Teching In

So I wouldn't be able to keep the stock low mount AC?
You should be able to run the factory low mount A/C using the inner 4 rib belt. I haven't actually seen anyone use our kit in a first gen CTS-V yet, so I don't see it wouldn't work, unless of course there is something else in the way I'm not aware of.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

I might be worth a shot to try it out. It's much easier and cheaper than buying the factory set-up.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 12SEC SS
I would think if that was all that's needed, GM wouldn't engineer all the extra brackets and pulleys that they use on the LSA drive.
Remember this engine was designed to be in a Cadillac daily driven by hip old people. GM is looking for 100,000 mile reliability, solid power and as little NVH as possible. If that means complicating things a bit for additional belt wrap to ensure things stay together and quiet when someone drives 70,000+ miles on the factory belts... so be it.

The good news for us is our engines have a lot of proven flexibility and performance potential available. This is of course at the possible expense of some additional NVH or long term reliability which doesn't matter much in the performance world.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Remember this engine was designed to be in a Cadillac daily driven by hip old people. GM is looking for 100,000 mile reliability, solid power and as little NVH as possible. If that means complicating things a bit for additional belt wrap to ensure things stay together and quiet when someone drives 70,000+ miles on the factory belts... so be it.

The good news for us is our engines have a lot of proven flexibility and performance potential available. This is of course at the possible expense of some additional NVH or long term reliability which doesn't matter much in the performance world.
Pretty sure belt wrap is purely a function of slip avoidance... which actually would be at risk more in high rpm/higher boost applications such as the performance world.

Hopefully it's not an issue with that routing, but I like having the extremely validated and over-engineered stock setup for piece of mind.

Quick Reply: lsa blower swap?