Sponsored by:

Do I need a TCM?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 07:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do I need a TCM?

Hiya All,
I remember researching this a few years ago but then got sent overseas so the project went on hold. Done a number of searches and just can't say with any finality what the answer is. So here's the scoop: 2007 LY6 from a "New Style" Silverado being paired with an NV4500 manual trans. Do I need a TCM to be able to get the VSS signal into the E38 ECM? I was planning on going with a Dakota Digital pulse generator (http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...916/prd916.htm) but am not certain whether this still needs to go through a TCM before getting to the ECM. I believe the TCM for this model/year was actually located inside the auto transmissions so my gut is saying no, and my foggy memory seems to support this but thought I'd better ask.

Thanks much for the help!
Old 04-30-2015, 07:12 AM
Staging Lane

No tcm needed, it would be wired like a manual trans car
Old 04-30-2015, 07:57 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the quick reply. I've read of some folks having issues with manual transmissions and not having the TCM in place particularly with getting a VSS signal correctly read. I believe with the E38/Gen IV, this may have gone away. I also understand the Silverado's may have phased this "feature" in so I'm hoping I don't need one. If you have a link to any details so I can verify for my own sanity, I'd appreciate it.
Cheers.

Quick Reply: Do I need a TCM?