Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1989 Thunderbird LS swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 Thunderbird LS swap

Found this T-bird recently and purchased it for a great price. I have a complete 2007 Denail XL that was considered totaled by the insurance company back in Nov 14 and I bought it back. (Stars aligned) Had plans of taking the motor and transmission out and putting it in my 86 Caprice but I think I want to build a strip/street sleeper.

T-Bird has no motor or trans (bought it as a roller); and I’m trying to do research for this project as far as motor mounts to stock t-bird k-member, oil pan clearance, truck accessory once engine goes in, and position of the engine. I don’t plan on using the 6L80; I’m searching for a 4L80 and would like to use the 6L80 once the Caprice swap is started.

Currently having the dilemma all with automotive hobbies have which is parts availability, time and of course $$$$$$$. Good thing for me is I’m very patient and enjoy a good challenge. With that being said I would like any tech help anyone can offer, experience or need to know info.

Enjoy the pics…..

After a little washing

purchase day, just finished loading

at home first day, purchased as is...

completed fuel system

will look beau. w a lil LS Power!!!
Old 05-02-2015, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Wow that is a really nice T-Bird! Someone has obviously done some nice work already.

I absolutely love that body style, it is going to be a great LS swap. Congrats!
Old 05-02-2015, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Thanks, I am ready to get it started.....
Old 05-02-2015, 11:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Was this a manual transmission car? It looks like there is a clutch master cylinder against the firewall.

Interesting strut tower brace...

Nice job on the cage. Looks like fun.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts

very cool! my first car was a 1996 model. subscribed!
Old 05-08-2015, 06:19 AM
Teching In

Yes the car had a manual but i'm going with a 4L80e.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Good luck getting a 4L80E to fit, that transmission is BIG. You will be fine length wise, but height may require a light tap with the Ford wrench (AKA BFH).
Old 05-11-2015, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Nice score. I bet the AJE tubular k-member will fit the T-bird and then just use SN95 a-arms for the correct track width.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JoshD
Nice score. I bet the AJE tubular k-member will fit the T-bird and then just use SN95 a-arms for the correct track width.
Totally different chassis. The fox cars shared a lot, but the MN12 Thunderbird / Couger chassis is more like a Mark VIII (FN10) than anything. Sadly SN95 stuff isn't even close enough to modify.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Hello All, I know its been a couple week/month since I last posted but I been in the dumps about this TBird build. Not only to add last week I backed into my truck in my car and broke the taillight out my car. This was pissing me off; but today I decide to go down to the local yard and pick up a replacement and light and what do I find in the yard.... A 2001 Chevy 2500 HD.... yeap with a 6.0 complete motor and 4L80 2wd transmission and everything was still intact not molested or parted out. It was just put out early this morning and no one had came by.... My heart raced as I looked it over and crawled all under it checking to see what was before me. Everything was good to go and I had asked a few workers about and everything was pretty good talk, I pulled the dipstick and trans stick and all fluids looked good so I just and bought the whole entire motor and trans complete from accessories all the way back. It was as the Good Lord himself brought a little ray of sunshine my way. ABTW I asked them to pull it; so tomorrow by lunch I should be going to pick up my little gift.

Now I gotta clean/inspect and start my tear down and rebuild as long as everything checks out good. I'm planning on cam, springs and possible head swap to some L92 heads if I can find some and a little refreshing on the motor and trans should get me right where I wanna be.

Still have to get mounts and figure out the wiring or just buy a harness but I'm gracious enough to have a engine/trans comb deal. Took a while to find but I hope it goes a little better to the finish line....
Old 06-08-2015, 08:37 PM
Teching In

Well I'm back again looking for advice.... Like I posted earlier, I picked up my motor and trans and just last week I took a trip down to EFI Alchemy with my friend to pick up some rims and tires and ended up leaving with a LS6 intake and another valve cover bc mine was crack on the passenger side. I am having a wiring harness built (will order tomorrow) from current performance wiring. I've contacted Cam Motions and Advance Inductions about a Cam and head mods just waiting to hear back with their advice.

A huge question I have is my headers issue... No one I've seen has run headers on the MN12 platform with an LS so I have no way of knowing what to do....I need major help and advice.

I live in Rincon Ga and I plan on dropping of my transmission to Richmond Hill Transmissions for the to inspect and maybe put in a shift kit for my 4L80e.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:30 AM
TECH Addict

I never found any generics that looked like they would clear the steering on the driver's side. There were a few generic options that cleared the passenger side. When I did mine I ended up making my own because every short or mid length header I saw was so expensive I just didn't have the cash.

To do it over again today, I would grab some ebay short, cheap generics and start cutting and welding.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Yes I agree the driver-side is my biggest problem. I honestly don't know what i'm going to do but it's not going to stop me. I will have this built very soon.

I am thinking about purchasing a set of 243 heads P/N 12564243. I want to use my L31 317 heads for a future turbo build.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Very cool,,,can't wait to see it complete!

Quick Reply: 1989 Thunderbird LS swap