Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Body Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Body Compatibility

I'm new to the community, and have been browsing to find some specific info. I am planning my first LS Swap on a '84 C10, and my "Donner" was a 2002 Cadillac Escalade, 6.0 HO. I want to keep it DBW because it is so clean, but the stock throttle body is a two plug, and the performance options are either not there, or unaffordable. What single plug stock throttle bodies are compatible with this by simply repining to a single plug? The wire colors and designations seem to be the same on all the schematics that I have seen at least on a 2005 truck (5.3). I have the peddle, TAC module, Throttle body and the harnesses from the Escalade.
Thanks!
Kevin
Old 05-27-2015, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

None

You have a GEN III system, so there are two options for 3 bolt TBs: Corvette 2 connector which you have and is the better one, common truck DBW single connector

The truck connector is not a simple repin and swap, neither are the larger 4 bolt TBs
Old 05-27-2015, 08:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

What other mods are you doing to that motor? I've got the same motor (LQ9) and the TB is probably not limiting HP at all in relatively stock form.
See this for good info:
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...s-small-block/
Old 05-27-2015, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pocket
None

You have a GEN III system, so there are two options for 3 bolt TBs: Corvette 2 connector which you have and is the better one, common truck DBW single connector

The truck connector is not a simple repin and swap, neither are the larger 4 bolt TBs
Assuming he's got a 411 ECM, couldn't he run a four bolt silver blade LS2 throttle body (with a three bolt to four bolt intake adapter), a 2002 Corvette TAC and pedal along with a 2002 Corvette OS flash?

Tipsy

Last edited by TipsyMcStagger; 05-27-2015 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

You'll need an adapter harness and a newer 4 bolt intake to match the TB but yeah it's possible. If you have the DBW setup from the 02 then you can use the cheaper adapter harness from Caspers or someone else (lot of people/vendors make them) and then use a silver bladed 90mm LS2 TB. If you want to use the '05 DBW setup you mentioned then you'll need the more expensive X-Link from Torque Rush but it'll let you use any of the newer truck or car TB's. I've also seen one guy over at performancetrucks.net say that he removed the wires from the older two plug setup and then reinstalled them into the newer single plug setup and had it working flawlessly after a retune. I tried to PM him for more details but never heard back... Here's a link to the thread I had going over at pt a little while ago that talks about the different adapter harnesses, TAC modules, TB, etc:
http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...rences-537063/
Old 05-28-2015, 12:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

What single plug stock throttle bodies are compatible with this by simply repining to a single plug? The wire colors and designations seem to be the same on all the schematics that I have seen at least on a 2005 truck (5.3).
To that question, the answer is none

There are alternatives, but he didnt ask alternatives. He specifically wanted a replacement that could fit by simply repinning the connectors. The TPS connector on the corvette style TB he has uses pull to seat terminals which cannot be repinned
Old 05-28-2015, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

There are alternatives, but he didnt ask alternatives. He specifically wanted a replacement that could fit by simply repinning the connectors. The TPS connector on the corvette style TB he has uses pull to seat terminals which cannot be repinned
I wouldn't say the answer is none since there are people out there that have spliced in the newer single plug connector using the existing wires from the two plug setup. This is one example (see post #9) that I found a while back when I was looking for alternatives http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...apters-492961/ Not saying it'll work for everyone but if you have the all plastic TAC module (like the OP should since his donor is an '02) there area a lot more budget friendly options out there.

Also, just because somebody doesn't specifically ask for alternatives doesn't mean you shouldn't offer something up that they may not have seen yet. The OP said he couldn't find any that don't cost an arm and a leg and to me a $60 adapter harness (or splicing in a plug for free) and a $150 used TBSS/NNBS intake is a relatively budget friendly option that would do what he's looking for and give a decent little performance bump as well.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MLCrisis
What single plug stock throttle bodies are compatible with this by simply repining to a single plug?

Originally Posted by NorCalAnthony
I wouldn't say the answer is none since there are people out there that have spliced in the newer single plug connector using the existing wires from the two plug setup. ...
I think Pocket's point is that splicing is not the same as repinning.

Options exist to use a single plug TB but apparently not "by simply repining to a single plug."

Tipsy
Old 05-30-2015, 03:46 PM

Thanks for all the input, I should have been more specific… I am looking for an option that is Electrically compatible, whether I splice in a junk yard plug, or snip the original harness and install a new plug to the old wires, I do have the all plastic TAC module, and the matching paddle. I don’t want to use adapter harnesses of any kind, although I am not opposed to a three bolt to four bolt adapter. It is so much cleaner with all the wires on one side, and later on, my options for better performance are more economical. For now I am going with a little better than stock cam, headers, and a tune. I figure as I learn more about modifying these LS engines, I will be wanting more air.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

With the LQ9, the greatest restriction will be the 350hp LS1 cam and/or the truck exhausts. Next restriction will probably be the intake manifold. It may not be the optimal choice for high rpm hp.
Unless you're going significantly over 400hp, the TB probably wont make much difference. Just look at some of LS1 build hp numbers using the stock TB.

Originally Posted by MLCrisis
Thanks for all the input, I should have been more specific… I am looking for an option that is Electrically compatible, whether I splice in a junk yard plug, or snip the original harness and install a new plug to the old wires, I do have the all plastic TAC module, and the matching paddle. I don’t want to use adapter harnesses of any kind, although I am not opposed to a three bolt to four bolt adapter. It is so much cleaner with all the wires on one side, and later on, my options for better performance are more economical. For now I am going with a little better than stock cam, headers, and a tune. I figure as I learn more about modifying these LS engines, I will be wanting more air.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Compatibility