Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10S20F Compressor sans High Pressure Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 10S20F Compressor sans High Pressure Sensor

Piecing toghether an AC setup in my swap. I plan on using a Vintage Air trinary sensor to control low and high pressures. I believe it is 20-400psi which sounds similar to the 10S20F compressor pressure sensors.

My question is, my new 10S20F compressor came with an aluminum plug that is clipped into the back in place of a high pressure sensor. This same clip is also what holds in the high pressure sensor into the compressor. Even if I do not use the high pressure sensor on the compressor, do I still have to install one, or can I leave the plug in the back?

Also, does anyone have a diagram of how the +12V and ground wires running to the 10S20F compressor should be wired? I would rather not wire my new compressor backwards.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have that compressor, but don't have anything clipped in place. I do have a hexagonal AL threaded plug which I believe is a blow-off / pressure relief valve of sorts. I've had my AC up and running for a year or so with no sign of that valve being put to use.

I also have vintage air setup in cabin.

I also use a trinary switch as my high pressure cut-off and to energize the cooling fan relay when pressures raise.
I get very low outlet temps with this setup. I think you'll be happy. My Vintage air controls temp panel everything (vs. PCM). The engine just bumps up the idle a touch when the compressor kicks on due to extra load.

If you don't have a good way of building the lines, I recommend buying the crimping tool from mastercool, which is a threaded crimping tool. It works awesome and was about $150. It was cheaper to build my own lines and buy the bulk hose and ends that I needed with the tool than have a shop build the lines. Really easy to do.

I did need a vintage air adaptor for the compressor to use the standard -6 and -8 (or -10) lines, though. That was $50 or so. Can't remember exact price.

In terms of wiring... what are the colors of your harness wires to the compressor? And what year is the harness?

Doug
Old 05-28-2015, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DW SD
I have that compressor, but don't have anything clipped in place. I do have a hexagonal AL threaded plug which I believe is a blow-off / pressure relief valve of sorts. I've had my AC up and running for a year or so with no sign of that valve being put to use.

I also have vintage air setup in cabin.

I also use a trinary switch as my high pressure cut-off and to energize the cooling fan relay when pressures raise.
I get very low outlet temps with this setup. I think you'll be happy. My Vintage air controls temp panel everything (vs. PCM). The engine just bumps up the idle a touch when the compressor kicks on due to extra load.

If you don't have a good way of building the lines, I recommend buying the crimping tool from mastercool, which is a threaded crimping tool. It works awesome and was about $150. It was cheaper to build my own lines and buy the bulk hose and ends that I needed with the tool than have a shop build the lines. Really easy to do.

I did need a vintage air adaptor for the compressor to use the standard -6 and -8 (or -10) lines, though. That was $50 or so. Can't remember exact price.

In terms of wiring... what are the colors of your harness wires to the compressor? And what year is the harness?

Doug
Thanks for the info on the compressor and Vintage Air setup Doug. Great help.

I am using a harness from a 70' Chevelle and there is a green wire coming off of the thermal limiter switch that runs to the factory Chevelle A6 compressor. I was planning on running this wire through the Vintage Air trinary switch and to the Denso 10S20f compressor. Both of the wires on the Denso are black so no help there. I attached a picture of the connector on the 10S20f compressor to try and give some orientation to the wires. What is the top of the connector in the photo is where the snap on the male connector clips to. What I am trying to figure out is which of these wires is the +12v and which is the ground?
Attached Thumbnails 10S20F Compressor sans High Pressure Sensor-image.jpg  
Old 05-29-2015, 03:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Both wwires on the compressor go to the clutch, which is just an electromagnet so it doesnt matter which one gets power and which one gets ground, as long as they each get one.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

These are the adapters I bought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS-Swap-AC-Compressor-adapter-fittings-for-Denso-10S17F-10S20F/271678806972?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140602152332%26meid%3Db1b260b1a0f04dd8977415cc8f966f90%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D281339809867
Old 05-29-2015, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Both wwires on the compressor go to the clutch, which is just an electromagnet so it doesnt matter which one gets power and which one gets ground, as long as they each get one.
Couldn't get any easier, thanks.

Quick Reply: 10S20F Compressor sans High Pressure Sensor