Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

62 Impala read end options

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 62 Impala read end options

I'm looking for options on a rear end swap . I'm not sure what I should just put some money into my stock rear or switch to one out of a later model Chevy or look into this Ford 9 inch a local guy is selling . Any advice would be appreciated .
Old 06-01-2015, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Why do you want to swap?Aren't those early Chevy pumpkin style rear ends some of the stronger units around?My preference is Ford 9",easy to work on, easy to find a local expert on, and parts are available almost everywhere.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You just asked a very open ended question. What are your goals, budget and driving style?

Show / street cruiser - keep the stock equipment. Race car - depending on output power, type of racing, class rules, fabrication skills and budget nearly anything goes. Honestly the stock piece is fairly stout - depending on your driving style.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

Plan on making it a daily driver . Nothing extreme was just looking for possible better gears/posi and maybe something that already had disk brakes .
Old 06-01-2015, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

There is nothing as an upgrade that directly drops in for these cars (I have a 61) which means big money. I'm told there is a kit for rear disk brakes, but I'm just now to a point of worrying about. I believe CPP and ABS Power Brake both make front and rear brake kits. I know they both do fronts because I've installed them.

A friend bought gears, a posi and hardened axles for his 63 and honestly that may be the direction I go from a cost and simplicity angle (I can do it myself). I simply don't care to dump $2500 in a fabricated 9" axle when there are so many other things in my world that need my attention.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
There is nothing as an upgrade that directly drops in for these cars (I have a 61) which means big money. I'm told there is a kit for rear disk brakes, but I'm just now to a point of worrying about. I believe CPP and ABS Power Brake both make front and rear brake kits. I know they both do fronts because I've installed them.

A friend bought gears, a posi and hardened axles for his 63 and honestly that may be the direction I go from a cost and simplicity angle (I can do it myself). I simply don't care to dump $2500 in a fabricated 9" axle when there are so many other things in my world that need my attention.
Thank you that was more or less the kind of information I was looking for . Would you happen to have an idea on where he bought or pulled those out of , and how much was your front disk kit ?
Old 06-02-2015, 01:54 AM
TECH Addict

The website is a bit difficult to navigate, but the brakes came from ABS Power Brake. They have a catalog, but to get prices you need to call them. I wanted big brakes because I like like stopping and I don't mind running 17 or 18" wheels. This company has front and rear setups listed, but I only bought the front.

I'll ask my friend tomorrow and reply about the posi, gear and axles.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
The website is a bit difficult to navigate, but the brakes came from ABS Power Brake. They have a catalog, but to get prices you need to call them. I wanted big brakes because I like like stopping and I don't mind running 17 or 18" wheels. This company has front and rear setups listed, but I only bought the front.

I'll ask my friend tomorrow and reply about the posi, gear and axles.

Thank you again
Old 06-04-2015, 11:17 PM
Launching!

I have a ls engine in my 62 Biscayne. I put in a aftermarket posi unit and axles. Also have disk brakes all around. I don't have a problem with it, just a driver, will never be the fastest car on the road, but sure gets a lot of looks.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:21 PM
Launching!

Forgot to say, I put a Eaton Posi unit and moser axles in my car. If you do not have a p(posi) unit third member you will have to grind out part of the reinforcement from inside the carrier so the posi unit will fit in there.

Quick Reply: 62 Impala read end options