Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please read 64 El Camino ls swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 10:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please read 64 El Camino ls swap

First I would like to say please comment your thoughts about this swap here or any links you think will be helpful to the swap. I am looking to do a budget swap and so far I have gathered cars/parts on the cheap. I have read many threads on there about it so I have a good handle on it but would like an outside view on it, because I am open to suggestions.

The el is a mess lol floors are out needs some body work but it is a pretty solid car as far as I am concerned .

Donner is a 2000 Silverado 5.3l 2wd. plan is to use the harness, pcm and trans.

Any comments on this will be great as I have to modify the harness, get mounts, fuel system, tuning, cooling and more figured out. Thanks for reading
Old 06-04-2015, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wiring and pcm LT!Swap.com comes into play. you do the harness yourself using his site. If leaving motor stock he can delete the unwanted stuff mail order. Send him yours and you get same back. Fuel system lots of kits out there or swap in tank from something else that works well. Read up do all homework will be your best friend. Ask questions you"ll get it in there. Holley oil pan and slider mounts I believe is what most chevelle guys using.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Thanks I have not seen that site, looks it will get me through harness. The pcm option there looks good to. I have been considering hptuners and working on it myself if that is possible with there software. As for leaving it stock that is the plan, get it in, get it running and then modify. Serviceability is my #1 goal and what I mean is I want to make it as easy as possible to replace any part for repair or upgrade. I am stripping the Silverado now Then I will start to really address the el and the swap but by all means keep the help coming. Thanks again 76larkman
Old 06-04-2015, 02:05 PM
Teching In

Old 06-04-2015, 02:07 PM
Teching In

Old 06-04-2015, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Very cool, I love the LS swap in my 64ss. My buddy just did the 5.3 in his 66 Elky
Old 06-04-2015, 07:17 PM
Teching In

I just looked through you thread and it makes me wonder if I should set the engine in and then do the floor pans. nice car by the way
Old 06-04-2015, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you got to do any changing floor pans for fitment it would be wise to get motor tranny where you want them. Save all the doo-- dads off the truck. im auctually using part of the fuel lines that go from tranny tail up. Just tie into them. Keep truck drive shaft use or sell. Lots of metric bolts from truck is handy too. steering cooler, tranny cooler if has small external one, coolant bottle, hoses, gas pedal cable if equipped will work on elky too.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:47 PM
Teching In

floor plans are out of the car now, I have new ones to install. I have a big zip lock bag That I am saving every bolt from the part out. The fuel lines is a great idea I didn't think of that, I was leaning towards an line. Drive shaft is a ? right now but I will hold on to the truck one for sure along with all the other little stuff.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:35 PM
Staging Lane

I'm using the dirty dingo sliders and the holder 302-2 pan on mine. Diet dingo also sells a smaller PS pulley that will clear the steering box.

Allot of A body guys are updating the steering box to a jeep grand Cherokee box.

I hear the radiator from a 4th gen camaro fits, get it with the fans.
Just not sure about the donor trucks radiator.

Last, look at late 90's b body fuel tanks, something to look at, they have a good sump and the pump will be sufficient, if not changing over from the truck.

I noticed you said budget, so this is what I've found in my own searches, but I personally have went with new aftermarket parts for my '65 skylark

Good luck, I hope to see results as this goes further for you.

Ohh and I hear the truck intake will just fit, but you may have to shave the cover bosses, there's a you tube video out there showing you the process...
Old 06-04-2015, 11:46 PM
Teching In

I think the fuel system is the most spendy part. I'm doing a conversion myself. If you wanna do it on the cheap, mod your tank and put a pump/sump in it, and run new lines. With regards to harness, lt1swap.com is your friend. His tune is good and the instructions are awesome, following them myself.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:16 AM
On The Tree

Nice to see another Elk being built. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

I'm working on my second early a-body build. There are a couple obstacles to overcome, but they aren't difficult. Link to my current build in my sig. Blog and some YouTube vids.

Also you might find this pan info useful. Thread I started over on team Chevelle.
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717386

Plenty of smart folks around here with great suggestions. Keep asking questions!
Old 06-05-2015, 05:04 PM
Teching In

I appreciate all of the links and comments, they are very helpful. Keep an eye on this thread because I am going to start addressing things as they pop up as I don't want to get to far ahead of myself. This is the order of things in the near future
1 finish parting the truck and pulling the engine
2 Get the el on the lift and see what we are really working with
I am sure then we might be talking about lots of other things not just a swap but a restoration.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:43 PM
Teching In

How much of the dash harness if any do I need to remove from the parts truck?
Old 06-12-2015, 03:58 PM
Teching In

This is where the project is at now
Old 06-12-2015, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you dont need the dash harness to make this work. just uncut engine harness
Old 06-12-2015, 08:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also get the gas pedal, fuse boxes etc. You will never know what you might need. Get as much as you can.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:59 PM
Teching In

So just cut out the obd2 connector and leave a pigtail? The engine harness is wrapped around the engine. It is being taken apart clean as I am parted everything I can to recoup some cash for parts for the swap.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes you can cut pig tail off if dont want to get one from another car. i have yet to use dash harness so its not big deal. cut it off long as can. LT1Swap show how to wire it in. befriend me then any ? just ask, help if i can. im doing my 2nd swap
Old 06-13-2015, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

That Early El Camino is very cool. Can't wait to see it with a motor in it.

Quick Reply: Please read 64 El Camino ls swap