Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 B2000 5.3L LM7 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 B2000 5.3L LM7 Swap

Picking up a 5.3 soon to put into my 87 Mazda truck. But being new to "LS" motors I have plenty of noob questions.
Is the car accessory set/brackets shorter than the truck accessories?
Do I have to use a manual truck engine harness to be able to run a T56?
Can I use an OEM ECU and PCM or do will I need a standalone? I plan on forced induction later on but want to get it all installed and running first before I start trying to boost it. If its too expensive I can deal with a stout (~450-500hp) N/A engine as well.

Thanks for all the help in advance
Old 06-07-2015, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Car accessories are more compact yes, You can convert factory harness down to standalone, and will work for boost, don't think pcm's are trans specific, have it programed accordingly.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slocaddy
Car accessories are more compact yes, You can convert factory harness down to standalone, and will work for boost, don't think pcm's are trans specific, have it programed accordingly.
So I assume the car accessories swap right over right? Just need a car crank pulley and car accessory brackets? Can the stock ECM be re-flashed? I've been told the stock ECM is pretty much a standalone once you reflash it. So I plan on running a T56, can I just use any PCM?

I apologize for all the noob questions, just trying to get on the right path and get my facts straight.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by jspecteggy
So I assume the car accessories swap right over right? Just need a car crank pulley and car accessory brackets? Can the stock ECM be re-flashed? I've been told the stock ECM is pretty much a standalone once you reflash it. So I plan on running a T56, can I just use any PCM?

I apologize for all the noob questions, just trying to get on the right path and get my facts straight.
You have a lot of homework to do...LOL

First, you need to figure out what 5.3L you will be using. Will it be a Gen 3 or Gen 4?

Honestly, if you are going forced induction, and are concerned about tuning, and you don't already have a harness, your best option is the Holley HP system. You will get the ECU, harness, wideband O2 sensor, and you will have the ability to tune the engine without having to buy HPturers or EFI Live.

https://www.holley.com/products/ls_p...s_efi_systems/

Andrew
Old 06-11-2015, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
You have a lot of homework to do...LOL

First, you need to figure out what 5.3L you will be using. Will it be a Gen 3 or Gen 4?

Honestly, if you are going forced induction, and are concerned about tuning, and you don't already have a harness, your best option is the Holley HP system. You will get the ECU, harness, wideband O2 sensor, and you will have the ability to tune the engine without having to buy HPturers or EFI Live.

https://www.holley.com/products/ls_p...s_efi_systems/

Andrew
Thanks for your help. I am gonna run a Gen 3 5.3 out of an 06 Silverado, already have it sitting in the garage. On the hunt for a T56 now. I had thought about the Holley system just haven't decided on anything yet. I know I can get a harness for less than $100 and a new wideband sensor for ~$50-80 so all the Holley HP system would be bringing to the table would be the self tuning ECU.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for your help. I am gonna run a Gen 3 5.3 out of an 06 Silverado, already have it sitting in the garage. On the hunt for a T56 now. I had thought about the Holley system just haven't decided on anything yet. I know I can get a harness for less than $100 and a new wideband sensor for ~$50-80 so all the Holley HP system would be bringing to the table would be the self tuning ECU.
What wideband is out there for $50-80? You can't just plug it in to where a narrow band O2 used to live. It's not that simple. Also, that $100 harness will need to be reworked. Do you know how to do that? What about the ECU?

The HP brings more to the table then just the tuning. It has boost and water/meth control, so no separate controllers are necessary.

Andrew
Old 06-11-2015, 11:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
What wideband is out there for $50-80? You can't just plug it in to where a narrow band O2 used to live. It's not that simple. Also, that $100 harness will need to be reworked. Do you know how to do that? What about the ECU?

The HP brings more to the table then just the tuning. It has boost and water/meth control, so no separate controllers are necessary.

Andrew
The sensor itself is cheap, can find a Bosch or Denso in that price range. The gauge and little harness is where they get you. Yes I am aware that they don't just plug in to where a narrow band goes. This isn't my first build, just my first LS build. I have dealt with harnesses before as well, how much of it needs to be reworked and why? If the stock ECU is flashable shouldn't you just be able to reflash it and go? That's how my last ECU worked.

I am more of a fan of manual boost controllers, less to go wrong. I also don't plan on running water/meth, there's an E85 station less than 30 mins from where I live so if I want to cool down the combustion some for some more timing/boost I can just swap over to that instead of dealing with the water/meth injections systems which fail more often than makes it worth it for me.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

The sensor itself is cheap, can find a Bosch or Denso in that price range. The gauge and little harness is where they get you. Yes I am aware that they don't just plug in to where a narrow band goes. This isn't my first build, just my first LS build. I have dealt with harnesses before as well, how much of it needs to be reworked and why? If the stock ECU is flashable shouldn't you just be able to reflash it and go? That's how my last ECU worked.

I am more of a fan of manual boost controllers, less to go wrong. I also don't plan on running water/meth, there's an E85 station less than 30 mins from where I live so if I want to cool down the combustion some for some more timing/boost I can just swap over to that instead of dealing with the water/meth injections systems which fail more often than makes it worth it for me.
Sound like you have it all figured out. Post pictures.

Andrew
Old 06-11-2015, 01:34 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have dealt with harnesses before as well, how much of it needs to be reworked and why? If the stock ECU is flashable shouldn't you just be able to reflash it and go? That's how my last ECU worked.
You should spend alot of time reading the info here http://lt1swap.com/2000harness.htm

Quick Reply: 87 B2000 5.3L LM7 Swap