Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 DBW will not idle

Old 06-14-2015, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 DBW will not idle

My 2003 5.3 in my 85 truck will idle for about 2 mins and then it will not idle at all until another cold start. Not showing any codes. I replaced the fuel pump the fuel regulator and it just will not idle and will tend to run like crap. The vacuum port behind the DBW throttle body I have plugged, this wouldnt be a problem would it? It will only run if i hold the peddle and let it idle at about 2,000 rpm. Please help me before i spend more cash.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

Just replaced another fuel pressure regulator and still no idle and running like crap. So i got good fuel pressure and new injectors as well as all new fuel system. I just do not know where to turn.Sent the puter back for another tuning and still nothing. Where does that vacuum line behind the throttle body supposed to go?????
Old 06-19-2015, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 96 Likes on 67 Posts

Where are you located? Near anyone with hp tuners that can data log it for you?
Old 06-19-2015, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by aknovaman
Where are you located? Near anyone with hp tuners that can data log it for you?
I live in goldsboro NC.. I sure wish I could find a person close by to help out because i been trying to get this swap running for a few weeks and nothing. It idles and runs so bad i doubt it is drive worthy yet until i get this thing running a little better.

I am running open headers right now with front O'2s. Not getting any codes to help either. Seems to rev ok but stumbling a little. Its a new motor i just rebuilt with new gas tank and external real walbro 255.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:46 AM
On The Tree

Are you running a MAF sensor?
Old 06-20-2015, 08:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fire67bird
Are you running a MAF sensor?
Yes..
Old 06-21-2015, 06:35 AM
Staging Lane

Maybe the open headers fouled the plugs. That could've killed the O2's.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try disconnecting the MAf and letting it run on the VE tables. Do this while it is running. You will notice a stutter, then it will start running again.

Edit-But you will not solve your problem until it is tuned. You may try a diablo tuner to see if this helps.

Last edited by casias; 06-21-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by casias
Try disconnecting the MAf and letting it run on the VE tables. Do this while it is running. You will notice a stutter, then it will start running again.

Edit-But you will not solve your problem until it is tuned. You may try a diablo tuner to see if this helps.
I will try that but i really need to find someone close by to tune it other than this mail order tune, I got to get exhaust bolted up but was hopeing to drive to exhaust shop.

Anyone know anybody close to Goldsboro NC for a tune???
Old 06-22-2015, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 85LSXTRUCK
I will try that but i really need to find someone close by to tune it other than this mail order tune, I got to get exhaust bolted up but was hopeing to drive to exhaust shop.

Anyone know anybody close to Goldsboro NC for a tune???
If you can't find a tuner that's closer to you, you might try a different mail order tuner that can do data logging like Black Bear. They can send you a roughed out custom tune along with a hand held to do the data logging so they can see what it's doing and then refine it for you. Hopefully you can figure something else out but that'd be another option for you...
Old 06-22-2015, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NorCalAnthony
If you can't find a tuner that's closer to you, you might try a different mail order tuner that can do data logging like Black Bear. They can send you a roughed out custom tune along with a hand held to do the data logging so they can see what it's doing and then refine it for you. Hopefully you can figure something else out but that'd be another option for you...
Yea, I thought of another mail order custom tune because my motor has flat top pistons and a small cam as well as a few other mods. I think its not a fuel problem at this point but possibly a MAF and i got one on order. I was hoping i might get lucky and find a local hanging around.If it aint the MAF then i need to look at grounds again and possibly vacuum which i doubt. LOL, as you can see i am stumped for now, makes you second guess your motor build because i built it myself.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

The port i'm assuming you are referring to on the rear of the engine is for brake booster. Make sure when you are running with the MAF that you have a filter on, otherwise gusts of wind or basically any wind causes issues during running.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:55 PM
TECH Regular

Since you said it runs ok for the first two minutes, try disconnecting both O2 sensors. This will force it to stay in open loop. If it stays running ok then the O2 sensors are messing things up. Most likely because they are reading lean (but not really) because it's open headers. This will cause the PCM to keep adding more and more fuel to try to get the O2 sensors to read rich. Which it won't because they are still reading the oxygen coming back from the open exhaust.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pdsq98gt
Since you said it runs ok for the first two minutes, try disconnecting both O2 sensors. This will force it to stay in open loop. If it stays running ok then the O2 sensors are messing things up. Most likely because they are reading lean (but not really) because it's open headers. This will cause the PCM to keep adding more and more fuel to try to get the O2 sensors to read rich. Which it won't because they are still reading the oxygen coming back from the open exhaust.
Thanks for that advise, I will try that in the next few days.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

I suggest that you get a speed density tune and ditch the MAF. You will probably need to get an intake air temp sensor since most are integrated into the MAF. I'm willing to bet if disable the MAF that it will start running right. You will need an expensive tune to get the MAF running right and it only improves gas mileage a little.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

OK, I think you have guided me in the right direction. Its been 100+ and humid all week and today it went to 92 so i got out there and disconnected the o2's and it idled much better in open loop although it stalled when put in gear and was hard starting.

I will try and run at least some pipes and possibly mufflers this weekend hopefully and i got new o2's on order so i got fingers crossed i am closer to driving it.

Please any more suggestions are welcome and needed at this point.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fire67bird
I suggest that you get a speed density tune and ditch the MAF. You will probably need to get an intake air temp sensor since most are integrated into the MAF. I'm willing to bet if disable the MAF that it will start running right. You will need an expensive tune to get the MAF running right and it only improves gas mileage a little.
I will look into your suggestion as well but i did try disconnecting the MAF and it stalled instantly.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:50 PM
TECH Regular

Do you have the vacuum port on the throttle body open to air? If so that would cause a big vacuum leak. Hook that port to the one on the front of the right valve cover. Also the port on the left rear valve cover is the pcv dirty side. Depending what intake you're running, it hooks to the top on a truck intake of the RF of a car intake.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

Do you have the vacuum port on the throttle body open to air? If so that would cause a big vacuum leak. Hook that port to the one on the front of the right valve cover. Also the port on the left rear valve cover is the pcv dirty side. Depending what intake you're running, it hooks to the top on a truck intake of the RF of a car intake.
Thanx again, I got the vacuum behind the throttle body hooked up. I been doing this project for so long and its my first LS build and i forgot where shiznitt goes.

I will say I really like working on these motors the more I learn from people like yourself.

Hopefully, I can do some exhaust work this weekend and add the new o'2s..Thanx again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.3 DBW will not idle