Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V-belts on ls ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 10:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V-belts on ls ?

OK guys I'm new to this site so before someone says why the heck would you even consider v-belts on a LS? I'm building a 36 Ford truck fenderless old school hot rod and I want to try something different.I'm using an LS but I want to give it the old school look.I found a reverse rotation water pump from edelbrock and Fluid Dampener has a dampener pulley to replace the stock serpentine pulley.Now I can use SBC pulleys.I want to mount the alt. down low on drivers side.(manual rack and pinion so no power steering pump to worry about) I now want AC even though it kills my old school look.Maybe even consider using a belt driven fuel pump.Could possibly even use the fuel pump as a belt tensioner.What do you think?I realize I will have to fab all the brackets unless you know someone who makes them?Feel free to give me some input I figured this was the best place to go for answers.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sotto71
OK guys I'm new to this site so before someone says why the heck would you even consider v-belts on a LS? I'm building a 36 Ford truck fenderless old school hot rod and I want to try something different.I'm using an LS but I want to give it the old school look.I found a reverse rotation water pump from edelbrock and Fluid Dampener has a dampener pulley to replace the stock serpentine pulley.Now I can use SBC pulleys.I want to mount the alt. down low on drivers side.(manual rack and pinion so no power steering pump to worry about) I now want AC even though it kills my old school look.Maybe even consider using a belt driven fuel pump.Could possibly even use the fuel pump as a belt tensioner.What do you think?I realize I will have to fab all the brackets unless you know someone who makes them?Feel free to give me some input I figured this was the best place to go for answers.
I would think as long as you can get a custom alternator pulley or bracket for a belt driven alt it shouldnt be a problem. Just remember though that the pcm controls the alternator so getting a custom pulley made for one is the easier route most likely.

The fuel pump on an ls is electric and in the tank as is the 99-up regulator. So with that said I dont see the need for a belt driven fuel pump especially because an ls needs 58psi of pressure at all times. An electric pump in the tank wont be seen and will save a lot of headaches.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you would probably bet better off posting this in the hybrid conversion section
Old 06-16-2015, 08:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Going for an old school look with a rack and pinion and fenderless, not sure how that will work.... But anyway, I assume youre going carbed so the fuel pump thing may work and the alternator shouldnt be a problem. As for the water pump, you say you found a reverse rotation pump? Do you mean reverse of the way the factory turns them? LS engines are not reverse flow, they are the same as an old small block, not like the gen2 LT1, but since you wont be wrapping the beltaround the back side of the water pump pulley, you will need one that spins the same direction as the crank. I dont know if such a pump exists? Also, when you get a chance, post some pics of your ride.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

I don't know if Jones Racing has anything, but you can check them out:

http://www.jonesracingproducts.com

Andrew
Old 06-17-2015, 12:16 AM
Teching In

Yes,I failed to mention I'm using carb not injected so no pcm needed,yes the water pump I bought turns same rotation as crank,not sure about fuel pump I have a belt driven pump already that I can use but then I would need pressure regulator and return line to tank,electric in tank is looking better!!
Old 06-17-2015, 12:32 AM
Teching In

Yes,I failed to mention I'm using carb not injected so no pcm needed,yes the water pump I bought turns same rotation as crank,not sure about fuel pump I have a belt driven pump already that I can use but then I would need pressure regulator and return line to tank,electric in tank is looking better!!
I think the edelbrock water pump was 8895 part number it uses sbc pulleys,use a sbc goose neck for top hose.its pretty nice,it should be it cost be about $420
Old 06-17-2015, 12:38 AM
Teching In

I think the edelbrock water pump was 8895 part number it uses sbc pulleys,use a sbc goose neck for top hose.its pretty nice,it should be it cost be about $420

Old 06-17-2015, 01:15 AM
TECH Resident

That's pretty cool. You should just start a build thread.

Quick Reply: V-belts on ls ?