Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls2/4l60e or L76/6l80e for a jeep swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 04:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls2/4l60e or L76/6l80e for a jeep swap

Need some advice. I'm gonna do an engine swap in my jeep and ive narrowed it down between these two engine/trans choices. Gotta make a decision soon but I keep going back and forth with all the research I've been doing. The jeep is a weekend warrior type but still needs to take me on wheeling trips hundreds of miles away every couple months without being trailered. I've got the choice between these two engines. I'm not looking to mod either of them any time soon but I'm sure I'll get interested in adding power as time goes on. The power would be enough for now because I'm coming from 150hp inline 6. Both engines/trans combos are about the same price (l76 is about $500 less) and have just under 70k on them.

I'm kind of torn because the ls2/4l60e (05 gto) option seems like the safer bet and has more HP but the L76/6l80e (09 G8 ) is intriguing because the technology is newer and the thought of having 6 speeds on the 7 hour ride to Moab through the mountains is nice. I have this thought that reliability would be better in the L76/6l80e (maybe I'm wrong). Plus not having to use premium gas and likely getting better mpg from DOD/AFM with the L76 has crossed my mind. Then again there seems to be a lot of negative thoughts on the the L76/6l80e when using for a swap because of the DOD/AFM and the 6l80e being way more expensive to rebuild. The LS2 obviously has about 40 HP more and seems like there is less to go wrong and the 4l60e might not be as strong but is a much easier swap and rebuild, if needed.

Again I'm not looking to mod, just need to add headers/exhaust and an intake to make the swap work. Not even sure if a tune is needed, just need to get rid of vats and compensate for tires and gearing.

Which setup would you go with if your not looking for peak power numbers but just overall reliability and long term outlook for what I'll be using it for?

Last edited by LS1 XJ; 06-16-2015 at 05:08 AM.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

Personally, if I had to choose between the two, I would go with the 4L60E. Here's why:

I had a 2011 Sierra with the 5.3 and 6L80E set up, and that thing always hunted for gears. Now, that can be fixed with a tune, but The final drive ratio is the same between the 6 speed and 4 speed, so once you are on the highway, your fuel economy is going to be relying on the aerodynamics of your Jeep.

The 4L60E is much cheaper to rebuild than the 6L80E. More people are able to rebuild the 4L60E than the 6L80E.

The LS2 is the better choice if you don't plan on taking the engine apart because it doesn't have those shitty AFM lifters in the engine. The L76, while having superior heads and is a cam swap away from mid-to-high 400s at wheels, does have those lifters and they are prone to crapping out as the mileage climbs.

The GTO LS2 is also a 24X reluctor engine, which means that you could run that engine off a LS1 PCM and use a cable-driven throttle, if you so desire.

I would say that the only two things the 6L80E has over the 4L60E is that it doesn't have that 35 MPH dead spot and is a stronger transmission out of the gate. However, if you aren't beating on the thing constantly, then it will hold up.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I pulled the trigger on the LS2/4l60e combo. Thanks for the insight.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The L76/6l80e combo has too much technology and it could cause problem. also you need to be DBW on that, more money to spend and more to go wrong.

Enjoy the LS2/4l60e and know that when and if it comes to repairs it is easier and cheaper, since there is more of it out there.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 XJ
So I pulled the trigger on the LS2/4l60e combo. Thanks for the insight.
No problem. Enjoy the swap and the combo.

Quick Reply: Ls2/4l60e or L76/6l80e for a jeep swap