Sponsored by:

6.0 swap into 2001 camaro??

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 06:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 6.0 swap into 2001 camaro??

Car originally had a ls1, 4l60

That was pulled along with the harness for a swap into a third gen. Now this car is getting rebuilt with a 6.0 and 4l80e pull out. Just a few questions. Will the truck accessories work under a 4th gen hood? I know they do on a third gen. Any other accessories besides f body that fit? Had I reuse the truck harness or do I need a f body harness? Will the stock a4 shifter bolt up the the 4l80? Is driveshaft different length with a 4l80 from a 4l60?

I'm a newb I know... This is my first swap into a 4th gen and am overwhelmed. I'm a third gen guy..
Old 06-22-2015, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

L99/LS3 5th Gen brackets/accessories will fit (They have Truck spacing & do not require a Balancer change), GTO/G8 brackets are very close also. (4th gen F-body spacing) Truck brackets will not work.

The Truck harness is completely backwards, I tried to modify my '04 5.3L harness....It will not work without ALOT of splicing/rerouting Or new wire & crimping. BP automotive built my harness, I am very happy with it!
Old 06-23-2015, 05:17 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by clinebarger
L99/LS3 5th Gen brackets/accessories will fit (They have Truck spacing & do not require a Balancer change), GTO/G8 brackets are very close also. (4th gen F-body spacing) Truck brackets will not work.

The Truck harness is completely backwards, I tried to modify my '04 5.3L harness....It will not work without ALOT of splicing/rerouting Or new wire & crimping. BP automotive built my harness, I am very happy with it!
Good to know, thanks. I've been looking at the gmpp kit too, I'm thinking that should fit also as it's based on 4 gen f body. 700 bucks though...
Old 06-23-2015, 05:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your accessories are good on the 6.0, there are a few companies that sell relocation brackets. I used a bracket from lsbrackets.com to use truck accessories on an LQ9 swap into my 1st gen. I think Holley makes some that look closer to stock.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 67rally
If your accessories are good on the 6.0, there are a few companies that sell relocation brackets. I used a bracket from lsbrackets.com to use truck accessories on an LQ9 swap into my 1st gen. I think Holley makes some that look closer to stock.
I googled that the other day and didn't come up with much..I'll keep looking and see what I can find. Yes the accessories are fine. It is a complete pull out from a wrecked truck.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by david068513
I googled that the other day and didn't come up with much..I'll keep looking and see what I can find. Yes the accessories are fine. It is a complete pull out from a wrecked truck.
I had good luck with the guy from lsbrackets.com, he was very responsive to all my questions. Dirty Dingo is another option for relocation brackets.

I just don't know what fits in your engine bay, as I'm 1st gen only. But there is someone out there that sells the brackets you need, I can guarantee that!
Old 06-23-2015, 06:25 AM
TECH Resident

I had good luck with the guy from lsbrackets.com, he was very responsive to all my questions. Dirty Dingo is another option for relocation brackets.

I just don't know what fits in your engine bay, as I'm 1st gen only. But there is someone out there that sells the brackets you need, I can guarantee that!
I just found them, interesting. I'm staying efi also so some type of relocation bracket is needed if keeping truck accessories so I can put the efi intake on it. This is good info. Thanks. I found that gm sells the gmpp kit for 700 ish also with all brackets and accessories but that is pricey.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by david068513
I just found them, interesting. I'm staying efi also so some type of relocation bracket is needed if keeping truck accessories so I can put the efi intake on it. This is good info. Thanks. I found that gm sells the gmpp kit for 700 ish also with all brackets and accessories but that is pricey.
Yeah, I have a friend that used the GMPP kit with an LQ9 and an LS3 top end. It's a great deal if you want/need new accessories. But if you can re-use your old stuff, there's other options. We both stayed EFI as well, mine just looks like a carbed setup to the casual onlooker (Vic Jr. & 4 barrel TB).
Old 06-23-2015, 06:41 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I have a friend that used the GMPP kit with an LQ9 and an LS3 top end. It's a great deal if you want/need new accessories. But if you can re-use your old stuff, there's other options. We both stayed EFI as well, mine just looks like a carbed setup to the casual onlooker (Vic Jr. & 4 barrel TB).
It looks like it's a very good deal if you didn't have any accessories or brackets. I do like your car, only f body I haven't own is a 1st gen unfortunately.. I need to own one at some point. I'm already planning to buy a 6th gen though so that's gonna take most my money up.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

Bump.

Quick Reply: 6.0 swap into 2001 camaro??