Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions on fuel line routing. 6.0 in a 67 Chevelle

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Suggestions on fuel line routing. 6.0 in a 67 Chevelle

Putting a 6.0 LS in my 67 - Am getting to the point of running the fuel lines and wanted some suggestions. I am running a Walboro in-line pump, Vette filter/regulator and 3/8 nylon line with the correct push to lock style connectors so once this is done it will plug & play like OEM.

As many of you may well know, It's pretty tight by the tank pickup & rear end, suspension & exhaust. I have room at the front of the tank on the trunk floor but not sure how noisy the pump would be mounted to the floor instead of the frame. Thoughts? I know a in-tank pump would be better but I have all of this already and would like to make it work if possible.

I can mount the pump on the frame in front of the front control arm bolt but that means there is quite a length (36" or so) from the pump to the pickup and I know in this case the closer the better. but the pump would be lower than the tank at this point.

I want to use the 5/16 pickup on the original tank sender, people say it's too small but I look at the fittings that came with the pump and they are for 5/16 line so I am thinking it will be fine.

Anyone have a setup remotely close to this? Looking for opinions. another issue is I look for the correct line placement on the vette filter/reg and some show the offset 3/8 as the return and some show it as the inlet from the pump, not exactly sure what is correct or even if it matters.

I know a lot to take in here, just looking for a little guidance especially with the correct routing on the filter fittings.

Thanks
Old 06-22-2015, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a Walbro in-line pump until just recently when I switched to an EFI tank with internal pump.

Unfortunately in your case, you will have to mount it in a place BELOW the tank. The in-line pumps are pushers...in other words, gravity feeds fuel from the tank to the pump, and then the pump pushes the fuel forward into the line.

If you mount the pump anywhere other than on the frame below the tank, it will probably work well enough to get around town but it's going to give you trouble. You're going to starve the engine of fuel, and you're going to get vapor lock at some point.

My sump and pump were too low on my lowered car and I scraped a few times. I was not at all comfortable with metal possibly sparking as I scraped, so I switched to a better tank with an internal pump. I know that's an expensive option ($500 total) but it was the only option I was comfortable with.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

On the corvette regulator the offset 3/8 is the inlet, The centered 5/16 is the return line.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,388 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by 1964SS
On the corvette regulator the offset 3/8 is the inlet, The centered 5/16 is the return line.

You don't need to use Teflon tape on AN fittings. AN fittings seal on the cone and seat of the fittings, not on the threads. Teflon tape is only to be used with NPT (National Pipe Thread) fitting because the do seal on the threads.

Andrew
Old 06-23-2015, 12:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
You don't need to use Teflon tape on AN fittings. AN fittings seal on the cone and seat of the fittings, not on the threads. Teflon tape is only to be used with NPT (National Pipe Thread) fitting because the do seal on the threads.

Andrew
What he said!

Quick Reply: Suggestions on fuel line routing. 6.0 in a 67 Chevelle