Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is this a good idea, jeep WJ

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 08:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default is this a good idea, jeep WJ

I need some input amigos.. I have a 2000 jeep wj with a blown motor. THE body of the WJ is in great condition . .I also just picked up a 2002 transam ws6 (complete car) that was t-boned on the right side.

The car has 90k miles and ran like a top before it was crashed
Everything from Fenders forward is good.
I'm looking to make a tow vehicle to pull my car trailer and my flats boat.

I currently have another WJ, but it has the 6 cylinder, and it struggles with the car trailer.

My question is, will the 2002 ws6 engine with the auto trans a4 be able to pull about 5500 pounds ??

It this worth the hassel?...how hard is it to get the ac working with the jeep , and also all the gauges, traction control ..etc......

I would like a newer truck, but just can't afford the one I want right now.
And since I have all this laying around , collecting dust , hey why not????
Old 06-30-2015, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the motor can handle it, no doubt. can't speak to the trans or getting everything else to work. Although I can't imagine the a/c would be very difficult to figure out. I wouldn't choose any jeep as a base for a tow rig tho.

Personally, I think the easiest/cheapest way to utilize that motor in a towing application would be to search for a used 1500 thats a "mechanics special" or needs a motor and swap into the pick up. Again, not sure if that trans is up to towing.

That being said, I also think it would be a really cool swap in the WJ. You're going to deal with the normal speed bumps.. gauges, oil pan clearance, accessory clearance and intake clearance, brake booster/steering shaft/exhaust clearance. If you're 4wd, mating the trans to the transfer case is probably going to be EXPENSIVE unless they already bolt up... custom input shafts and tail housings get expensive real fast.

If you decide to go ahead with it, good luck, i'll be tuning in!
Old 07-02-2015, 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

I really like the WJ. The swap would be totally badass, but I wouldn't want to tow with one.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Only worthwhile if you are looking to make a bush rig out of it.I seriously looked at doing one a couple of years ago,but nothing was going to physically fit,none of the Jeep's guages,ABS,TC,cruise,a/c,power options would likely work.These things are such pieces of crap,its next to impossible to get another Jeep/Dodge engine from another year to work-nevermind trying to integrate something from GM,there is a reason they can be bought so cheaply...

Quick Reply: is this a good idea, jeep WJ