Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1989 Silverado "Ugly Bruce" Build Thread (RCSB OBS)

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 01:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 Silverado "Ugly Bruce" Build Thread (RCSB OBS)

Preface: This build won't be fast, but it will be good.......

This is the story of my 1989 Silverado “Ugly Bruce”

I acquired Ugly Bruce from Patrick, previously an editor of Truckin Magazine. A ton of work was already completed (documented below), but he was unable to finish the truck. Let's take a look at the work Patrick had already done before I made the purchase. (FYI: his photos and captions will be better than mine. lol)

You can read the Truckin story here..... http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/cha...#ixzz3euNa01nL

Follow me @lees_garage on Instagram for sneak peak updates

The following work was done by Truckin Magazine before I purchased the truck.
note: I will be using their photos and captions for this part of the post.
Name:  project-rehab-before_zpsejs6fuu1.jpg
Views: 17086
Size:  61.6 KB
This '89 Silverado has definitely seen better days, so it will be a long journey to reach the finish line, but we will persevere. This truck has spent its life wallowing around muddy farmland on the Central California coast for roughly 300,000 miles, so it's rusty and needs just about everything replaced.

Name:  djm-lowering-suspension-kit_zps58vpizbw.jpg
Views: 8878
Size:  72.4 KB
DJM 4/6 drop

Name:  ebergy-suspension-rubber-brushings_zps7wtvmizk.jpg
Views: 8605
Size:  64.6 KB
Energy Suspension bushing master kit.

Name:  rusted-bolts-and-nuts_zpsvyqrquph.jpg
Views: 8444
Size:  84.5 KB
Most every nut and bolt was frozen to some extent, thanks to the extensive coating of rust from the coastal salt air.

Name:  removing-front-suspension_zpskauasbsw.jpg
Views: 8561
Size:  78.5 KB
We began by tearing down the front suspension. The brakes were tossed aside so the ball joints could be busted loose, and the stock spindles and coil springs were added to the scrap pile.

Name:  removing-control-arms_zps7txnrm4r.jpg
Views: 8519
Size:  84.8 KB
Since we chose to replace every wear item, both upper and lower control arms were removed for better access.

Name:  installing-energy-suspension-brushings_zps3twzqw1s.jpg
Views: 8693
Size:  51.3 KB
Rusty metal wasn’t going back on this truck, so we stripped many of the front parts and had them powdercoated before installing the replacement Energy Suspension bushings.
Name:  reinstalling-control-arms_zpsrectxvqm.jpg
Views: 8583
Size:  69.8 KB
Along with the urethane bushings, new ball joints were pressed into the control arms, and the arms reinstalled onto the Silverado.

Name:  installing-djm-lowering-springs_zpsu21b8fpq.jpg
Views: 9034
Size:  88.0 KB
Then, the DJM 2-inch lowering springs were situated between the control arms

Name:  installing-djm-drop-spindles_zpsohidxoqq.jpg
Views: 8974
Size:  82.7 KB
Next, DJM’s 2-inch drop spindles were bolted onto the fresh ball joints.

Name:  installing-calmax-shocks_zpsljiaircx.jpg
Views: 8391
Size:  88.8 KB
The last DJM components to go on the front were a pair of gas-charged Calmax shocks developed specifically for lowered applications.

Name:  mounting-tie-rods_zpsd598b1le.jpg
Views: 8400
Size:  74.5 KB
As part of their Master Set bushing kit, Energy included grease boots for the replacement tie rods. The tie rods were mounted to the original centerlink after it was powdercoated

Name:  powdercoated-sway-bar_zpsufiwcsda.jpg
Views: 9018
Size:  86.9 KB
Our newly powdercoated stock sway bar was mounted using new Energy bushings and brackets.

Name:  installing-sway-bar-end-links_zps2atdrxqo.jpg
Views: 8429
Size:  75.8 KB
Energy’s kit also supplied us with entirely new sway bar endlinks and hardware to make the most out of our factory bar.

Last edited by Lees_Garage; 07-04-2015 at 03:28 AM.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:42 AM
Teching In

Name:  rear-suspension_zps3qgeimoo.jpg
Views: 7919
Size:  79.0 KB
Out back, the rear suspension parts were equally ugly and rust-coated, and even with a liberal dose of penetrating fluid, we fought to pull the stock U-bolts off.

Name:  removing-pivot-bolts_zpsyokqdfge.jpg
Views: 7872
Size:  78.2 KB
We then worked to get the leaf-spring pivot bolts freed so the springs could be removed from the topside of the axle.

Name:  pivot-bolt-comparassion_zpsu2iqptup.jpg
Views: 7837
Size:  49.9 KB
It was certainly nice to blast the rust off of everything, coat it with paint, add new bushings, and then compare it to what we began with. We want this truck to ride flawlessly for its next 300,000 miles.

Name:  matting-djm-drop-shackles_zpszxxg9utg.jpg
Views: 8043
Size:  56.0 KB
After grinding the rust off the leaf packs and adding a few coats of black paint, we mated the DJM drop shackles with Energy Suspension bushings.

Name:  remounting-leaf-springs_zps0nhhc2iz.jpg
Views: 8595
Size:  87.0 KB
Our Chevy’s 6-inch rear drop was accomplished by remounting the leaf springs under the axle with a flip kit.

Name:  installing-axle-cradles_zps6dewqmei.jpg
Views: 8179
Size:  79.8 KB
To facilitate the new mounting location, DJM created these axle cradles with adjustment allowance to set the correct pinion angle.

Name:  new-spring-plates_zps2i1w9csj.jpg
Views: 8057
Size:  88.2 KB
New U-bolts and spring plates completed the rear drop.

Name:  adding-shock-extenders_zpsi3hqi0pm.jpg
Views: 8521
Size:  67.1 KB
Shock extenders were part of the DJM kit, and they allow the rear shocks to be angled appropriately for proper function with the 6-inch drop.

Name:  cut-c-notch_zpsnma75qxk.jpg
Views: 9845
Size:  78.3 KB
Cutting the C-notch in the frame to allow axle clearance was made easier with a plasma cutter, but we have done plenty of these in the past with a cut-off wheel or Sawzall.

Name:  drilling-into-c-notch_zpsr3twez5o.jpg
Views: 10143
Size:  94.5 KB
A number of 1/2-inch holes had to be drilled through the frame for the C-notch hardware. We recommend you do one at a time to ensure they line up perfectly.

Name:  adding-bumpstops_zps51wb6aeo.jpg
Views: 7819
Size:  96.9 KB
The included bumpstops simply bolted in place, preventing metal-to-metal contact between the frame and axle.

Name:  project-rehab-after_zpsxxtc2zt9.jpg
Views: 17992
Size:  63.9 KB
After: Now sporting a new stance and safer, more precise handling, Ugly Bruce was topped off with a set of black 18-inch Streeter wheels from Showwheels, shod in updated BFGoodrich Radial T/A

Old 07-04-2015, 02:09 AM
Teching In

Now for some body roll control. Read the whole story here http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/cha...#ixzz3eu5kq7Io.

Name:  trup-140200-sway-002_zpsgx4w8lw3.jpg
Views: 7905
Size:  69.4 KB
Since we previously lowered our truck with a 4/6-inch DJM Suspension kit, Hellwig provided us with bars tailored to this lowered application. The 15⁄16-inch front bar (PN: 7801) and 1-inch adjustable rear bar (PN: 7802) included endlinks, bushings, hardware, and step-by-step instructions.

Name:  1401-lowering-djm-kit_zpsczzwtcfk.jpg
Views: 9240
Size:  99.9 KB
During the install of our DJM lowering kit, we had our factory front sway bar powdercoated black, and upgraded to Energy Suspension poly bushings and endlinks. However, the stock bar wasn’t stiff enough for our high-performance needs, so it had to go.

Name:  1401-endlinks-removed_zpsaj8h0kbr.jpg
Views: 8020
Size:  88.1 KB
First, the endlinks were unbolted and removed. The Hellwig kit will replace them with heavy-duty units to support the stiffer bar.

Name:  1401-sway-bar-bushing-brackets_zpsahu1wo9p.jpg
Views: 8930
Size:  77.6 KB
Next, the two sway bar bushing brackets were loosened, and the factory bar was freed from the truck.

Name:  1401-factory-front-bar_zpsyids4icw.jpg
Views: 7949
Size:  55.3 KB
Placing the factory front bar next to the new Hellwig model reveals that the Hellwig bar is thicker, has tougher endlink mounts, and features oversized polyurethane bushings and brackets

Name:  1401-bushings-and-brackets_zpsj0pgwqdv.jpg
Views: 7880
Size:  90.7 KB
Once the new bushings and brackets were thoroughly greased and slipped onto the bar, it was positioned in place under the truck.

Name:  1401-new-endlinks_zpspglcxbzp.jpg
Views: 7839
Size:  87.8 KB
Hellwig’s new endlinks were assembled and installed on the control arms, then the new bushings were secured to the truck’s frame using the included hardware. Once everything was torqued down, we moved on to the rear.

Name:  1401-bushings-brackts_zpsjirlzpm9.jpg
Views: 7742
Size:  85.1 KB
The rear bar’s bushings were greased and installed on the bar, then the new bushing brackets were fit onto the U-bolts and finger-tightened, holding the bar in place.

Name:  1401-rear-endlinks_zpsfn9obxya.jpg
Views: 7687
Size:  71.3 KB
Next, the rear endlinks were adjusted to equal lengths, and attached to these frame mount brackets per Hellwig’s instructions.

Name:  1401-c1500_zpshifxexpp.jpg
Views: 7909
Size:  77.6 KB
Since the C1500 didn’t originally come with a rear sway bar, we had to drill out two holes on each framerail to provide mounting points for the endlinks.

Name:  1401-bolting-the-endlink-brackets_zpsbmwlxwlg.jpg
Views: 8085
Size:  86.0 KB
After bolting the endlink brackets securely to the frame, the endlinks were attached and torqued down. Adjusting the bar’s stiffness in the future is as simple as unbolting each endlink and repositioning it in one of three holes on the bar.

Name:  trup-140200-sway-015_zpsnttlufgq.jpg
Views: 8280
Size:  108.2 KB
Once the bushing brackets were torqued down, the install was complete. We promptly took the truck on a test drive, and immediately noticed that it felt more stable in the corners, more precise on turn-in, and understeered less overall -- not bad for an afternoon’s work.

Name:  project-rehab_zpsevtbul4e.jpg
Views: 8841
Size:  66.1 KB
And a token slalom photo after swaybar install.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:23 AM
Teching In

Here is where I come into the picture.....

I had been looking for an 88-98 reg cab, short bed Silverado off and on for a while, and one night while surfing Craigslist, I stumbled on a truck I recognized from reading a Truckin Magazine build, Project Rehab.

I made a phone call, and was scheduled to look at the truck that weekend.

Name:  img_0600_zpsht41ksne.jpg
Views: 7961
Size:  120.8 KB
On the way to Patrick's house I had a little encounter with the CA HWY Patrol, and was let go when I definitely deserved the ticket. I took this as an omen that this purchase was meant to be.

Name:  img_0731_zps9yprzvhg.jpg
Views: 7962
Size:  183.4 KB
Name:  img_0732_zpsqstmr9io.jpg
Views: 11064
Size:  191.5 KB
I fell in love with Bruce, left a deposit, and came back the next weekend and picked him up.

Name:  img_0820_zpsqjflmrhq.jpg
Views: 7775
Size:  118.1 KB
I daily'd Bruce for a while, but.....

Name:  img_1021_zpsgqvcejoe.jpg
Views: 9180
Size:  93.9 KB
...... the SBC was tired, and decided it didn't like its head gasket..... let the fun begin.

Last edited by Lees_Garage; 07-04-2015 at 03:30 AM.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to laugh every time I read a California guy complaining about rust...

here in NY a 2011 with 60k is rusted worse than that.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Krom

X2 We don't even try and get the U bolts off, just cut them off.

Cool truck! I like the stance and wheels. I always like the 88-89 quad headlight look.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Nice truck, all that looks really familiar to what's under my 91. What are the plans for the truck?

Rock
Old 07-04-2015, 04:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Krom

Originally Posted by Tranz Zam
X2 We don't even try and get the U bolts off, just cut them off.

Cool truck! I like the stance and wheels. I always like the 88-89 quad headlight look.
Lol, Thanks

Originally Posted by rockusaf
Nice truck, all that looks really familiar to what's under my 91. What are the plans for the truck?

Rock
The truck will be getting an iron block LS, frame restored, a new c-notch, and a paint job.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Here is a little timelapse of the front end being torn down.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bump for progress?

Tipsy
Old 04-09-2017, 12:58 PM

Default Where is Bruce?

What ever happened to Bruce? I searched everywhere to find the follow up to the Truckin magazine article on this truck to find it is now named Bruce. Then, it dead ends here. Is this really it?
Old 04-09-2017, 04:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bad andy
What ever happened to Bruce? I searched everywhere to find the follow up to the Truckin magazine article on this truck to find it is now named Bruce. Then, it dead ends here. Is this really it?
I put him back together with the TBI motor about a year ago, and sold him. New owner currently drives the truck often, and has a 5.3 going in, but I don't believe he's created a thread on here.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:49 PM

Thanks. From your experience with the truck, how did the truck drive with the mods the magazine performed? Anything you would have done differently? Do you know the specs on the wheels and tire sizes?
It's tough to find budget GMT400 truck builds. I have a '95 and was looking to copy "Bruce".
Old 04-09-2017, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bad andy
Thanks. From your experience with the truck, how did the truck drive with the mods the magazine performed? Anything you would have done differently? Do you know the specs on the wheels and tire sizes?
It's tough to find budget GMT400 truck builds. I have a '95 and was looking to copy "Bruce".

For a daily, the truck was about perfect. The suspension was smooth, but still handled decently (no canyon carver, but definitely better than stock. If I remember correctly it was on 18x7/18x8 with (I believe) 245/55R18 front and rear.

As far as doing anything different, I would have purchased a newer, vortech truck, to start with. I would've ran a square wheel setup, and airshocks in the rear in case I wanted to haul/tow.

Quick Reply: 1989 Silverado "Ugly Bruce" Build Thread (RCSB OBS)