Sponsored by:

LS Controler

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 11:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS Controler

Hello,

I have a 6.0L out of a 2003 Truck. I have the Harness and Computer.
I also have the DBW pedal and controler.

The pedal is HUGE and I am having trouble mounting it in my street rod.

Looking for some advice on what I can do for a different pedal?

I have spoken with Holley and they said there controller "dominator" I believe only works with a certain GM pedal and two different throttle bodies. All of which are a lot newer then mine.

I believe the Atomic system wont work because of DBW and 4L80E.

So I am looking for advice on what to use to control the engine, DBW, and 4L80E. If someone has a setup that work let me know. I looked into the LOKAR pedal but not sure if this will work?

Also more info 6.0L has LS1 Corvette intake, Upper half of Engine has CAM, Springs, valves, some work on the heads so some tuning will definatly need to be done.
Trever

Last edited by bones5133; 07-11-2015 at 11:10 PM. Reason: More Information
Old 07-12-2015, 06:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have pictures? I am assuming you mean that the pedal is too long?

I cut mine up, and used a shorter pedal on the pedal position sensor. Then I made a custom bracket to mount it under the dash.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I removed that huge plastic piece, mounted it on the firewall, and hooked up a separate pedal with a rod to the original DBW unit.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:06 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by casias
Do you have pictures? I am assuming you mean that the pedal is too long?

I cut mine up, and used a shorter pedal on the pedal position sensor. Then I made a custom bracket to mount it under the dash.
Yes the pedal is too long and bulky I don't have much room.

Was there any issue with the ratio? How much you push the pedal vs. how much the sensor moves? I would think this would be an issue?

What pedal did you guys use?
Old 07-12-2015, 08:08 AM
Staging Lane

Any Pictures on either of your setups?

Also what is the best controller solution for this setup?

OEM equipment and HP tuner and figure it out or an aftermarket setup?
Old 07-12-2015, 08:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bones5133
Any Pictures on either of your setups?

Also what is the best controller solution for this setup?

OEM equipment and HP tuner and figure it out or an aftermarket setup?
I would go for the oem and hp tuners.

Let me see if I can get a good picture. I forgot to take pictures when I did mine 3 years ago. I guess I was so excited when it fit.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:09 AM
TECH Regular

Here is the pictures of the one I did. The first picture shows where I cut the Silverado pedal off, then I cut the Dodge pedal off of the pivot. I screwed them together, and the positioning was perfect.

Name:  IMG_0284_zpsbfiqogxd.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  3.59 MB

Name:  IMG_0282_zpsmqdzdccu.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  2.67 MB

Name:  IMG_0283_zpsdjy7ygzn.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  1.54 MB
Old 07-12-2015, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

I am guessing you want to use the DBW? On the year you have, I am 99% sure you can run a cable, and turn off the DBW, and just use a cable. Just throwing that out as a option.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:39 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rpturbo
I am guessing you want to use the DBW? On the year you have, I am 99% sure you can run a cable, and turn off the DBW, and just use a cable. Just throwing that out as a option.
This would mean getting a DBC throttle body and turning off the DBW in ECU using HP Tuners?

How would I find out for sure if I can turn off DBW?
Old 07-12-2015, 10:43 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by casias
I would go for the oem and hp tuners.

Let me see if I can get a good picture. I forgot to take pictures when I did mine 3 years ago. I guess I was so excited when it fit.
Casias. Wow that did fit perfect. You used the pivot rod off the dodge and put it in the Silverado pedal correct?

Also you have no problem with responsiveness? I would think if the ratio was off if you pushed the pedal and it pushed the sensor too much you would be laying hate on the ground all the time
Old 07-12-2015, 10:48 AM
TECH Regular

Casias. Wow that did fit perfect. You used the pivot rod off the dodge and put it in the Silverado pedal correct?

Also you have no problem with responsiveness? I would think if the ratio was off if you pushed the pedal and it pushed the sensor too much you would be laying hate on the ground all the time
Yes. I did have to make a custom bracket, but I couldn't get a good picture of it. Just some fab and welding.

No trouble at all with responsiveness or pedal feel.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Dbw

I really beat myself up when doing a DBW for my street rod. Bottom line was the '03 TAC and APP (throttle pedal) would not work with the tune that was put in. The tuners like to use an '05 tune so you must use later APP and TAC. Two pedals were compatible with the tune, one plastic and one steel. I used the steel one and bent it to suit my application. Look on the PSI site for the pedals. I think the steel one was out of an '05 GMC.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Hello,

The pedal is HUGE and I am having trouble mounting it in my street rod.
What pedal do you have? They made some trucks with adjustable pedals and they are really big, if that's what you have, maybe one out of a truck with non adjustable pedals would be easier to make work.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
What pedal do you have? They made some trucks with adjustable pedals and they are really big, if that's what you have, maybe one out of a truck with non adjustable pedals would be easier to make work.
My pedal is out of a 2003 Silverado HD it is all steel and I don't see that it is adjustable.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 33willys
I really beat myself up when doing a DBW for my street rod. Bottom line was the '03 TAC and APP (throttle pedal) would not work with the tune that was put in. The tuners like to use an '05 tune so you must use later APP and TAC. Two pedals were compatible with the tune, one plastic and one steel. I used the steel one and bent it to suit my application. Look on the PSI site for the pedals. I think the steel one was out of an '05 GMC.
so you upgraded your Pedal, TAC, and throttle body to the 2005? I calll Holley and they gave me part numbers of the pedal and TB that would work with their system.

If I used HP tuner I could use what I have if I customized my pedal correct
Old 07-13-2015, 02:54 AM

I used the steel one and bent it to suit my application. Look on the PSI site for the pedals.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rpturbo
Why not? DBC throttle body and truck cables are almost free,seems like the simplest solution if no room for the DBW pedal assy...
Old 07-13-2015, 09:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

My pedal is out of a 2003 Silverado HD it is all steel and I don't see that it is adjustable.
It probably isn't then. If you've ever seen the adjustable pedal, you would know it, it's about twice the size of a regular one. Since you have one from an '03, they are metal and are just about the easiest to modify, because you can cut and weld them, just be careful not to get it so hot that you melt out the bushing and/or the sensor. You can cut them pretty short, and it has no effect on ratio, if you move the pedal 50% of it's travel, then the sensor moves 50%, doesn't matter how long the pedal is. That said, if you make them really short, they tend to get harder to press due to lack of leverage, but you can remove the secondary spring (the small one you can see) and just use it that way since the pedal is internally spring loaded.

BTW, what is this going in? Usually a cut down DBW pedal isn't really all that much bigger than a standard pedal, so unless you are really cramped for space, I would think it would work fine.

Quick Reply: LS Controler