Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 1st Gen Swap 68 Camaro - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another 1st Gen Swap 68 Camaro - HELP

Apologies in advance for what are likely repeats of old questions, but I have spent many hours searching this site as well of Google searches.

I have found a lot of good information, but as every swap is different I didn't find answers to what I imagined would be a fairly basic swap. This is my first 1st gen so I am new completely new to them.

1968 Camaro RS rolling chassis which most recently housed a 555" & PG.
Stock V8 frame mounts which I am pretty sure are SBC stands.
Stock Transmission Crossmember for TH350 - Powerglide - Muncie 4 Speed.
Chromoly Driveshaft for short tail TH350 - Powerglide - Muncie 4 speed.
Manual Steering. Manual Disc Brakes. Clutch Pedals are still there.
NO Heat / Air Conditioning - Firewall opening has flat plate welded over.

I would like to install a carbed LSx using the existing frame stands and transmission crossmember with a TH350 or M20 4 speed and the original clutch linkage.

I "think" that I would need 1" set-back or "slider" swap plates to retain the original transmission position and crossmember. ???
Also, I "think" that the Holley #302-2 Pan is about my only choice - hope there are more options. I do not mind the sump hanging a little low it won't be lowered.
I do not plan to add heat/AC/Power brakes/Power steering.

Any advice as to what motor mount swap plates, oil pan, and headers that I should use will be greatly appreciated. Links to any similar builds would also be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
Apologies in advance for what are likely repeats of old questions, but I have spent many hours searching this site as well of Google searches.

I have found a lot of good information, but as every swap is different I didn't find answers to what I imagined would be a fairly basic swap. This is my first 1st gen so I am new completely new to them.

1968 Camaro RS rolling chassis which most recently housed a 555" & PG.
Stock V8 frame mounts which I am pretty sure are SBC stands.
Stock Transmission Crossmember for TH350 - Powerglide - Muncie 4 Speed.
Chromoly Driveshaft for short tail TH350 - Powerglide - Muncie 4 speed.
Manual Steering. Manual Disc Brakes. Clutch Pedals are still there.
NO Heat / Air Conditioning - Firewall opening has flat plate welded over.

I would like to install a carbed LSx using the existing frame stands and transmission crossmember with a TH350 or M20 4 speed and the original clutch linkage.

I "think" that I would need 1" set-back or "slider" swap plates to retain the original transmission position and crossmember. ???
Also, I "think" that the Holley #302-2 Pan is about my only choice - hope there are more options. I do not mind the sump hanging a little low it won't be lowered.
I do not plan to add heat/AC/Power brakes/Power steering.

Any advice as to what motor mount swap plates, oil pan, and headers that I should use will be greatly appreciated. Links to any similar builds would also be greatly appreciated.
How do you intend to use the car after the swap? Is this purely a street car?
Yes, you will need 1" set-back plates if you intend to keep the eng./trans mating plane in the stock location.

Retaining the stock clutch linkage will be the largest constraint you'll have to deal with in regards to headers as most every set available is designed for compatibility with a hydraulic clutch set-up only; the TH350 would be a much easier install to accomplish.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Toddoky
How do you intend to use the car after the swap? Is this purely a street car?
Yes, you will need 1" set-back plates if you intend to keep the eng./trans mating plane in the stock location.

Retaining the stock clutch linkage will be the largest constraint you'll have to deal with in regards to headers as most every set available is designed for compatibility with a hydraulic clutch set-up only; the TH350 would be a much easier install to accomplish.

It will be a street car mostly. It might see an occasional pass or two, but I have another car for that stuff.

What about stock exhaust manifolds working around the clutch linkage? Is there an application that fits?
Old 07-20-2015, 03:11 PM
TECH Junkie

It will be a street car mostly. It might see an occasional pass or two, but I have another car for that stuff.

What about stock exhaust manifolds working around the clutch linkage? Is there an application that fits?
Manifolds would be your best option, but most have interference issues with the steering box.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Will the CTS-V oil pan fit when using 1" set back plates?
Old 07-20-2015, 09:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Will the CTS-V oil pan fit when using 1" set back plates?
I don't have any personal experience with that pan, so I can't comment on it's fitment in this application.

Quick Reply: Another 1st Gen Swap 68 Camaro - HELP