Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longtube Headers...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Longtube Headers...

I've searched but haven't been able to find a pair of longtubes that are reasonable priced and will definitely fit a 1969 firebird with stock steering box and a mechanical clutch with an LS 5.3. My 5.3 is set back (towards the firewall) about an inch so that the end of the 621 bellhousing is in the same position as stock to mount to my m20. The only thing that I've seen are the holley/hooker LS swap headers, but no reviews and they're $700. If anyone has any personal experience that would be great. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg.H
I've searched but haven't been able to find a pair of longtubes that are reasonable priced and will definitely fit a 1969 firebird with stock steering box and a mechanical clutch with an LS 5.3. My 5.3 is set back (towards the firewall) about an inch so that the end of the 621 bellhousing is in the same position as stock to mount to my m20. The only thing that I've seen are the holley/hooker LS swap headers, but no reviews and they're $700. If anyone has any personal experience that would be great. Thanks.
Your biggest constraint towards fitment will be your mechanical clutch linkage. In order to produce a header with optimized collector ground clearance you have to get rid of the mechanical clutch set-up as the back drive linkage occupies the same real estate where the collector needs to be placed. The are not too many reviews here on the Hooker headers by themselves, but there's plenty of users of the complete Hooker swap set-up here that can tell you about their fitment.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Tod, it seems like using the longtubes with the mechanical clutch is more or less uncharted territory.

I may stick with the short tubes since they are affordable and will most likely fit. Does anyone have a preferred brand that will fit with my setup? Also what tube size should I be looking at for a 5.3? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Longtube Headers...