Sponsored by:

New to LSx, Planning a 4.8 swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 06:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to LSx, Planning a 4.8 swap

Hey all,

I have an older truck that has a bad engine, and a non-overdrive transmission. I recently acquired a 99 4.8 (That'd be an LR4, right?) from my buddy's 99 Silverado that he rolled.

1. Does anyone still make an EGR delete plate for the truck intake? The GM Performance part appears to be discontinued.

2. The little metal lines running under the plastic intake manifold, What are they? Are they emissions/evap or are they like coolant passages.

3. Does this engine require the oil pressure sensor to run? I would like to replace it with one that will work with the new vehicle.

Thanks in advance!

-- Chris
Old 08-01-2015, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Well I got digging around online and figured out #2 is a coolant bypass system.

Anyone know how the coolant lines at the throttle body get hooked up? I don't have a truck to look at, this engine was already pulled when I got it.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:20 PM
Teching In

You can get an EGR delete plate from eBay just do a search on there. I did this for the 2 ports on the truck intake and they work great.

The lines under the intake are the steam ports, there should be one in each corner of the heads and you want to keep these. I bought a LS swap radiator for my 68 C10 truck that I put a 2001 4.8l in and just ran the steam line to the radiator. But you can also drill and tap into the highest point on your water pump and run the line there.

The harness does not need to have oil pressure so you can put in whatever sensor you want in that port. It does need to read the water temp though, that sensor is on the driver side head.

Good luck with your project, I love the little 4.8l I put a very mild cam in from Cam Motion and she runs awesome, lots of power and I have not even had it tuned yet.

Rich
Old 08-01-2015, 11:59 PM
Teching In

Sweet thanks! The vehicle I'm putting it in actually has a port right under the radiator cap so that'll work PERFECT!

Thank you for confirming about the oil pressure, that's GREAT to know.

I had one of the guys on the forced induction subforum here spewing the usual "don't waste your time on a 4.8" I figured since I'm not trying to make a racecar it'd be fine. Two of the guys I work with have the 4.8 and have no complaints about it. Plus... I only paid $100 for it with the wiring harness and accessories so can't complain there!
Old 08-02-2015, 01:34 AM
On The Tree

Make sure that port isn't for the overflow or you will blow the radiator. You can also get a "T" fitting that goes in your upper radiator hose and run the steam line to that. I've heard of people breaking the top off the OEM oil pressure sender and tapping it to use the older standard thread sending units, you can also buy an adapter that will do the job. Use lt1swap.com to rework your harness.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mike_hawk
Make sure that port isn't for the overflow or you will blow the radiator. You can also get a "T" fitting that goes in your upper radiator hose and run the steam line to that. I've heard of people breaking the top off the OEM oil pressure sender and tapping it to use the older standard thread sending units, you can also buy an adapter that will do the job. Use lt1swap.com to rework your harness.
Nope that port is under the overflow tube. I believe it was for exactly what I'll be hooking it to.

I had never thought of tapping the old oil sender, good idea.

I've already started looking at lt1swap.com for the harness rework diagrams. I've got to ask him a couple questions first though because some of the pins he's saying to delete I might want to leave in but I need to know how they would get wired for my application.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:20 PM
Teching In

Okay, so the radiator in the swap vehicle is new... but the fittings are on the wrong sides. Figures. Does anyone make parts like Fernco couplings that would work for a cooling system? I'd use the Fernco couplings, but they are only rated to 4.3psi and only 140 degrees sporadically per their site...

Quick Reply: New to LSx, Planning a 4.8 swap