Sponsored by:

New Hooker 3rd-gen F-Body LS swap System Preview

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 08:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaysz28
I love that trans cross member

I think its a shame that it won't work with anyone elses engine mounts.....
It very well may work with engine brackets other than the Hooker brackets I developed in conjunction with the crossmember, I just have no ability to tell you if it will or not.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:47 PM
Turd Gen Guy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those headers don't seem to hang down near as much as the stainless works lsx swap headers I have hhmmmm
Old 09-19-2015, 05:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1nasty86
Those headers don't seem to hang down near as much as the stainless works lsx swap headers I have hhmmmm
I made sure to stuff them up high to maximize ground clearance. what engine mounting brackets and trans crossmember are you using?
Old 09-19-2015, 05:10 PM
Turd Gen Guy

Originally Posted by Toddoky
I made sure to stuff them up high to maximize ground clearance. what engine mounting brackets and trans crossmember are you using?
Spohn swap k member with their frame mount with stock f body motor mounts with the hawks double hump transmission crossmember and a bmr trak pak torque arm... but as clean as that transmission mount is I might consider swapping back to the longer arm
Old 09-19-2015, 05:23 PM
TECH Junkie

The headers are designed for fitment around 4th gen engine mounts, but I have no idea if they will clear the Spohn K-member or not...I guess you'd be rolling the dice a bit to find out.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:26 PM
Turd Gen Guy

The headers are designed for fitment around 4th gen engine mounts, but I have no idea if they will clear the Spohn K-member or not...I guess you'd be rolling the dice a bit to find out.
If they will clear the stock k member I'm 99% sure they will clear the 30lb lighter aftermarket one
Old 09-19-2015, 05:28 PM
TECH Junkie

I would agree with that assumption, but I can't tell you it will for sure.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates on part numbers?
Old 09-23-2015, 06:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by supermaro
Any updates on part numbers?
Yes, the numbers for all the individual parts have been assigned, so all start posting them up tomorrow.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the numbers for all the individual parts have been assigned, so all start posting them up tomorrow.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Default Hooker 3rd-gen LS swap system part numbers

I'm posting these part numbers for you guys who have asked for them...none of these components are on the shelf yet and some of these part numbers haven't even been entered into our system yet, so don't go hitting up your favorite parts source to place an order at this time as there's no way for them to be able to process it for you. I will keep you posted as to when each part is actually released and capable of being ordered.

70101316-RHKR- 1-3/4” x 3” long-tube headers, 82-92 F-body LS swap, stainless steel
70101315-RHKR- 1-7/8” x 3” long-tube headers, 82-92 F-body LS swap, stainless steel
71221003HKR- 82-92 F-body LS swap engine mounting bracket kit
71222005HKR- 84-92 F-body LS swap transmission crossmember
71223003HKR- LS swap 4L80/4L85 transmission crossmember adapter bracket
71223004HKR- LS swap 4L60-4L70 transmission crossmember adapter bracket
70501326-RHKR- 82-92 F-body header-back exhaust system, 2.5" - 304SS - Auto Trans
70501426-RHKR- 82-92 F-body header-back exhaust system, 2.5" - 409SS - Auto Trans
70501339-RHKR- 82-92 F-body header-back exhaust system, 2.5" - 304SS - T56 Trans
70501439-RHKR- 82-92 F-body header-back exhaust system, 2.5" - 409SS - T56 Trans
71223006HKR- 82-92 F-body fuel/brake line heat shield
71223007HKR- LS engine starter heat shield

Last edited by Toddoky; 09-25-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:40 PM
Teching In

Are the faux dual-tips required? I'm a function-over-form guy, and I don't see them improving function. I understand that people think dual tips look better on 3rd gens. My current setup is a single 3" on the driver side; I'd be happy with a straight single on each side.

Also I see you list the years for your transmission crossmember as 84-92. I understand why, having an 82. But I've been using later crossmembers in it, both factory and swap, since 1999 - I just modified the mount bolt holes and nuts to accommodate them. Latest version is a 1/4" plate drilled to match the later bolt pattern, nuts welded to the plate, and slid into the frame member, one plate per side. Don't want to discourage 82-83 owners from thinking they can't do this swap - you just need to do a little extra fabrication.

One last question: Are your engine compartment pics of the 1-3/4" primary, or 1-7/8" primary? I have 1-3/4" now, and I'm putting together plans to give it a little more punch, and think the 1-7/8" would be preferred for what I have in mind.

By the way, outstanding work. It's great to see a quality company like Holley supporting our platform. I'm liking the looks of what you're doing here.

Now if we can figure out how to fit a Hi-Ram under a stock 3rd gen hood...

(And if you happen to see Matthew Lunsford, that crazy new hire with the turbo LS Foxbody, tell him More Door says hello...)
Old 09-29-2015, 07:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by five7kid
Are the faux dual-tips required? I'm a function-over-form guy, and I don't see them improving function. I understand that people think dual tips look better on 3rd gens. My current setup is a single 3" on the driver side; I'd be happy with a straight single on each side.

Also I see you list the years for your transmission crossmember as 84-92. I understand why, having an 82. But I've been using later crossmembers in it, both factory and swap, since 1999 - I just modified the mount bolt holes and nuts to accommodate them. Latest version is a 1/4" plate drilled to match the later bolt pattern, nuts welded to the plate, and slid into the frame member, one plate per side. Don't want to discourage 82-83 owners from thinking they can't do this swap - you just need to do a little extra fabrication.

One last question: Are your engine compartment pics of the 1-3/4" primary, or 1-7/8" primary? I have 1-3/4" now, and I'm putting together plans to give it a little more punch, and think the 1-7/8" would be preferred for what I have in mind.

By the way, outstanding work. It's great to see a quality company like Holley supporting our platform. I'm liking the looks of what you're doing here.

Now if we can figure out how to fit a Hi-Ram under a stock 3rd gen hood...

(And if you happen to see Matthew Lunsford, that crazy new hire with the turbo LS Foxbody, tell him More Door says hello...)
Thanks for posting five7kid. The tips are actually not faux as the dividing wall between the tip legs is fully windowed. Dual tips are used on this kit for the simple reason that it the only way to have the tips equidistant on the car with 6" diameter diameter mufflers mounted at the rear of the car, which is how the excellent sound/tone of this system is acheived. Individuals have mounted large mufflers in these cars by modifying the spare tire and or trunk wells, but that was out of the question for us. You could choose to install single tips on the system, but they will exit under the bumper with a left shifted bias off of center, which may not be noticeable to some people. We design and market all of our LS swap components to be bolt-on parts, which is the reason for the 82' and 83' model year exclusions for the crossmember...users will figure out through guys like yourself that it can be installed on those cars if they are willing/capable to do the work. The headers depicted in the photos are of the 1-7/8" variety, so they should tell you a lot about the clearances you can expect. I will tell Matt you said hello...as soon as he's done washing all our cars in the engineering department. 😎
Old 09-29-2015, 07:39 PM
Teching In

Thanks for posting five7kid. The tips are actually not faux as the dividing wall between the tip legs is fully windowed. Dual tips are used on this kit for the simple reason that it the only way to have the tips equidistant on the car with 6" diameter diameter mufflers mounted at the rear of the car, which is how the excellent sound/tone of this system is acheived. Individuals have mounted large mufflers in these cars by modifying the spare tire and or trunk wells, but that was out of the question for us. You could choose to install single tips on the system, but they will exit under the bumper with a left shifted bias off of center, which may not be noticeable to some people.
Okay, that probably came off as disparaging, which wasn't the intent. I should have asked instead of making assumptions. I also have a C4, and some of the things that were/are done with tips on those cars is just crazy.

I did try to mount mufflers there on my '82 LS1/T56 swap, so I know where you're coming from. I ended up removing that system and going with a more conventional 3" single, but my problem was we didn't route the exhaust pipes like you are. Your solution is much better.

We design and market all of our LS swap components to be bolt-on parts, which is the reason for the 82' and 83' model year exclusions for the crossmember...users will figure out through guys like yourself that it can be installed on those cars if they are willing/capable to do the work.
Fair enough. Perhaps a footnote that modifications are required for use on '82-'83? (But you know your standards better than I.)

The headers depicted in the photos are of the 1-7/8" variety, so they should tell you a lot about the clearances you can expect.
Awesome!

I will tell Matt you said hello...as soon as he's done washing all our cars in the engineering department. 😎

He's obviously in the right place...
Old 09-29-2015, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Okay, that probably came off as disparaging, which wasn't the intent. I should have asked instead of making assumptions. I also have a C4, and some of the things that were/are done with tips on those cars is just crazy.

I did try to mount mufflers there on my '82 LS1/T56 swap, so I know where you're coming from. I ended up removing that system and going with a more conventional 3" single, but my problem was we didn't route the exhaust pipes like you are. Your solution is much better.

Fair enough. Perhaps a footnote that modifications are required for use on '82-'83? (But you know your standards better than I.)

Awesome!

He's obviously in the right place...
I considered all your questions and comments to be straight up and so did not take them to be disparaging at all. I may take your suggestion and add a footnote to the application listing for the crossmember; some guys will appreciate it and some will hate us for not producing an 82-83 specific crossmember.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:50 PM
Teching In

I considered all your questions and comments to be straight up and so did not take them to be disparaging at all.
I'll try to play nice, anyway...

I may take your suggestion and add a footnote to the application listing for the crossmember; some guys will appreciate it and some will hate us for not producing an 82-83 specific crossmember.
Hah, ain't that the truth. As my old Army sergeant used to say, some people wouldn't be happy even if you hung them with a new rope...

Just a little more about what I was thinking about the dual tips: since the outlet of the muffler is the same size as each tip, having one tee'd off the other wouldn't improve flow. But, you're doing more than just working on flow, apparently.

(On another topic, have you considered Tri-five LS swap 1-7/8" primary headers? I have your 2292-1's, I think they might be holding my engine back a little.)
Old 09-29-2015, 11:08 PM
TECH Junkie

I'll try to play nice, anyway...

Hah, ain't that the truth. As my old Army sergeant used to say, some people wouldn't be happy even if you hung them with a new rope...

Just a little more about what I was thinking about the dual tips: since the outlet of the muffler is the same size as each tip, having one tee'd off the other wouldn't improve flow. But, you're doing more than just working on flow, apparently.

(On another topic, have you considered Tri-five LS swap 1-7/8" primary headers? I have your 2292-1's, I think they might be holding my engine back a little.)
You have it right on the tips now, they are there for the sake of a centered appearance on the car. Most LS swap applications would benefit from 1-7/8" primaries and the 2292's were unfortunately developed at a time when that wasn't considered too heavily at Holley. That was before my time here and I've not heard any talk of going back and revisiting that application.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Just a quick post for you 3rd-gen F-body swap guys...I'm attaching a PDF tech sheet here for this application that should answer a lot of questions you may have regarding what these new Hooker components can, or cannot, help you achieve your project goals.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 10-02-2015, 04:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Toddoky, I posted this thread on Thidgen.org because... thirgens...

Click here for Third Gens
Old 10-02-2015, 04:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
Toddoky, I posted this thread on Thidgen.org because... thirgens...

Click here for Third Gens
Thanks for posting over there as I don't have the bandwidth to join and post on another forum at the moment. Do me a favor and give a reply to the guy who complained about the price of Hooker LS products...tell him engineered parts that produce better results generally cost more money.

Quick Reply: New Hooker 3rd-gen F-Body LS swap System Preview