Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls swap electrical help!!

Old 08-08-2015, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls swap electrical help!!

I recently finished up my lq9 swap into my 97 Camaro and I am having a major electrical problem. The car runs great sounds great the only problem is when I shift into reverse everything goes crazy. The car loses voltage and starts to drag and all of the gauges start to bounce all over the place along with the interior lights and radio. I shift into drive and everything is fine again. I removed all 12v ignition powered wires one by one and the same issue occurs even without power to the transmission. I've replaced the trans fuse with a 40amp and still no luck. traced wires and none are touching going to the trans. Bad pcm maybe? I'm all out of ideas.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:38 PM
Teching In

So the transmission isn't dropping into d1 or d2 either so I'm thinking either the whole transmission circuit is shorted out somewhere or the computer program for the transmission is bad. Guess I'll pull the harness back off and double check some things.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:43 AM
Teching In

what trans are you using? I had a problem with my 4l80e where it would just shift into 3rd and stay locked there and run like crap. It turned out to be the ECU programming. I had a guy reflash a totally stock silverado tune and it started/ran/drove perfect. I would give that a try just for fun.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:19 AM
Teching In

I have the 4l60e. Im going to pull the harness and check the wires if that doesn't work then yea its definitely has to be the tune.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Update. So I got the brilliant idea to put the car in reverse with the tps disconnected and walah it stayed in reverse for a while with no issue. I went and bought a new tps, installed it and the same issue came back. Tried it again with the tps disconnected and the old issue was back that way too. Must be a bad ground connection or something.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:52 PM
Teching In

alright. After jacking the car up and looking underneath I noticed that the alternator hot wire was completely melted. traced it and the wire was touching the upper power steering hose and shorting everything out. replaced the wire and she's running like a champ. now just need to find a good dyno tuner in the DFW area.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:33 PM
TECH Regular

I just read your thread, glad you found it. If you would, pm me when you find a tuner, I live north of DFW in Celina. I will need one to.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:39 PM

Did you have to delete the passkey system off the computer for it to run if so what tuner did you use?!
Old 08-10-2015, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

The tuner can delete VATS. You can do it yourself with HP Tuners or EFI live etc...
Old 08-10-2015, 09:49 PM

Thanks I'll have to by a tuner
Old 08-10-2015, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Yea i sent my pcm off to pcmforless and they tuned it up for me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ls swap electrical help!!