Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorty headers for '69 firebird/camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shorty headers for '69 firebird/camaro

Long story short, my cast truck manifolds don't fit and I don't really feel like chopping them up (surprise). And I wanted headers anyway...

Has anyone used, or knows of, a pair of short tube headers for an LS 5.3 that will clear the steering box AND the mechanical clutch (or at least come close enough that it wont be too much trouble to bang a few dents in them)?

Engine/bellhousing/trans in stock location with the 12611hkr motor mounts.

Thanks.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure how much help this will be, but I bought the BRP mid-length headers for my '69 Firebird. I used the BRP mounts and it has a 4L80. There was a little clearancing of the bell housing on the passengers side, but other than that, it is fine. I had clearance issues with the truck manifolds on my '70 Chevelle swap, so I went with the HKR8501s. Plenty of room.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

It's going to be tough for you to find a set of headers that will be compatible with your mechanical clutch linkage and the 1" set back of the 12611HKR plates is going to compound the problem since it moves the Z-bar and the header tubes and/or collector of the driver side header closer together.

Quick Reply: Shorty headers for '69 firebird/camaro