Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lq4 Swap: what ELSE else can I scavenge?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 04:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lq4 Swap: what ELSE else can I scavenge?

So I've got potentially a very stupid series of questions on what I can use from my donor 2500 for use in my '73 vette. This is more out of desire to get it on the road quickly and cheaply. I found the answers to the common solutions, but let's play Marvel's "WHAT IF. . ."

I've seen where people are sourcing different fuel pumps, but what if I tried to use the one out of the truck? I imagine it's a deep unit, but I thought the old vette tanks were fairly deep as well. Just haven't found any dimensions to tell me definitively.

I've seen how others are getting around defeating the security system, but what if I tried to bring that over as well? Could I bring over the ignition and door cylinders, or even retrofit power locks so that I could use the fob?

I know in bringing over the tranny with the lq4 that i'll either have to source a way to mechanize the speedo or get aftermarket gauges, but what if I brought over the instrument cluster from the truck? It won't be pretty, it won't be permanent either. I might even try to figure out a way to class up the face if I try to use it. I'm going to have everything out anyways so why not just put it to the side, trim down the truck unit and fab up temp face to replace the original gauges and bezel.

And at that point, what if I brought it all over and had cruise control as well?

Alright, I'm losing my buzz, I look forward to waking up to ridicule.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're thinking the right way. Pulling everything possible from the donor vehicle makes things easier. In my case, I used the fuse boxes, engine harness, interior harness, fans, radiator, steering column, blinker and wiper controls, headlight controls....everything. The only thing that was not available to me was the body control module, which caused some issues with parts of the fuse box not lighting up.

A lot of guys just want the engine shoved in there, and that's fine. But if you want it to go easier, grab everything you think you might want. You can always remove stuff you decide you don't want later on.

Quick Reply: Lq4 Swap: what ELSE else can I scavenge?