Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS Swap Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 09:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS Swap Help

I have a complete 6.0 motor, from intake to AC compressor. I'm not sure what year it came out of but it is the drive by cable. I do not have the wiring harness or computer. I was going to swap it into my 1980 c10 with the carb set up on it but the more i read I'm now debating on trying to go EFI. My question is, is it possible to still keep it fuel injected without the harness, or would it be more expensive than worth while? Is there an aftermarket Plug and play harness kit for what I'm trying to do?

This is my first attempt at a ls swap, and also my first post on here. Any help pointing me in the right direction is sure appreciated. thank you
Old 09-19-2015, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If this is going to be a daily driver/cruiser, I'd def keep the fuel inj. It will cost you almost as much to buy the carb setup- (carb, intake, MSD trigger box) as it would to keep efi. You'll need a 411 ECM which can be bought used for under $100 in classified section. I prefer to use Modern Vintage Systems for a harness. You can PM me for their info. I prefer an in-tank pump for the fuel system, as the external setups can have issues. I would think you could work with an 87 EFI tank and just swap the TBI pump to hi pressure style. Scott
Old 09-19-2015, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agee with SS69.. Try and make sure you know what you have to start with. Find out what year that engine is, and what heads are on it... etc.. Cause once you start asking question about something.. the 1st thing we are going to ask you is what you have or starting with.

There are many kit harness on the market as well as plug and play ones. There are a few Sponsors on the forum that you can contact and they will work with you.

If you go with a kit, it may be harder to get it going... but you well learn a lot about how EFI works.. that is a plus.

BC
Old 09-20-2015, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i do know it has the 317 heads, iron block and that all i know about it. as to my plans for it. i was going to put L92 heads with carb, and a hot cam. but if i go fuel injected I'm not sure if i can still do all these things or if i need to get a different type of wiring harness. or what would be the best way to making it all work right, all of these questions was the reason i was planning on sticking with a carb. lol thank both of y'all for the help! i appreciate any more you have for me, thanks.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

ya i would do the l92 heads and a carb.........u will end up with more hp, money and more hair on your head when your done.......i gained about 84 hp when i switched to a carb on my ls7 motor...
Old 09-21-2015, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you gained 84 hp by switching to a carb, something was wrong with the setup and/or tune. Anyway, Either way you chose (carb or efi), get a plan together & research your parts selection. LS3 heads will require rect port intake manifold, and your 317s have cathedral ports. No wiring harness changes needed, but I think there might be a better cam out there than the hot cam. Think about exactly how you will use the car, and match your parts selection. Scott

Quick Reply: LS Swap Help