Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which setup for LS to Dodge Dakoat swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which setup for LS to Dodge Dakoat swap

I've got a 99 Dakota 2wd 2.5 that is in desperate need of power. And like most have decided the package of an LS is hard to beat. I'm trying to decide on which years are best and if I should get a 5.3 or 6.0. I'm thinking starting with a complete dropout would be the easiest. Normally on engine swaps I would try to keep all the OEM electrical and PCM and just marry the engine harness to the existing body harness but with all the aftermarket LS PCM's out there maybe factory isn't the best choice.

Truck will be used mostly for towing the toys and not a muscle truck but running low 14's or better would be fine with me.
So decisions are:
5.3 or 6.0
Any years better or years to avoid
Which auto trans
Factory electronics or Aftermarket
Old 09-20-2015, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either engine will work fine, your gonna pay up for a 6.0 and a 4L80e probably won't fit without some trans tunnel modifications. A 5.3/4L60e combo can be had for an affordable price and the 4L60e fits with only minor hammering. I used factory truck manifolds and built the rest of my exhaust from scratch. Do yourself a favor and call one of the vendors and get a stand alone harness. I used the factory fuel system but control it with the gm ECM.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zTimbo
Either engine will work fine, your gonna pay up for a 6.0 and a 4L80e probably won't fit without some trans tunnel modifications. A 5.3/4L60e combo can be had for an affordable price and the 4L60e fits with only minor hammering. I used factory truck manifolds and built the rest of my exhaust from scratch. Do yourself a favor and call one of the vendors and get a stand alone harness. I used the factory fuel system but control it with the gm ECM.
I don't mind paying a little extra for the 6.0 as local shop usually has both for sale pretty cheap. I'm leaning toward the 6.0 as my Buddies dad has a around 99 Silverado 4x4 5.3 that struggles at highway speeds to tow his boat. I've seen newer 5.3's tow with no problems but they also had the newer trans. When I tow things I like to be able to drive 5-10 over the speed limit and not struggle up hills/mountains. Never considered the 4L80e not fitting so I'd have to find a 4L60/65 setup. Any recommendation on aftermarket Engine controllers?
Old 09-20-2015, 11:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the choice of the 6.0. I used an LY6 and managed to fit a 6l90 with only minor modification to the tunnel. You should be able to fit a 4l80 without too much trouble.

As for wiring, you can use a GM ECU and harness, and have it modifed to be stand-alone by any number of vendors on this site. Find a tuner who can tune with HP tuners, and you are all set.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

And its better to have more power than you need rather than
needing more power and not having it.
I vote for 6.0 and doing whatever it takes to make it work, you should only have to
do the hard part once. After you get it all in and running, pulling it out for a cam swap
will be a breeze. my .02 good luck

Quick Reply: Which setup for LS to Dodge Dakoat swap