Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ideal carbon canister purge conditions

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 07:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideal carbon canister purge conditions

Hi Guys. I have done an LS swap but EVAP was not programmed into my ecu. I'd love to remove the system completely but this car reeks of fuel after 20 mins of driving. I plan to make a microcontoller to turn the purge valve on and off. I am aware that the original ecu used PWM but mine will be a hard on/off purge.

From my research I have found that the engine must be warm and be above idle. (driving).

What other conditions are ideal for the canister to purge?

Alternately are there conditions when It shouldn't purge, eg WOT?

Or am I completely overthinking this and be better off just bypassing the valve and have the system constantly purging?
Old 10-05-2015, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IIRC, was there a pressure sensor involved for input to the PCM ?..

But I'd like to know what can be done to utilize a purge valve and solenoid along with a ccharcoal canister. As i am not using anything to purge the fuel tank and just venting it.

BC
Old 10-06-2015, 08:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

If you google it, you'll find the conditions where it's opened. ie closed loop to compensate for the extra incoming air.
If you hook it up full time, you might want to try something similar to the LS PCV system. The air inlet to the canister would be after the MAF so the air flow through the canister would be metered. I'm just not sure if the air bleed through the canister would need to be restricted like an old carbed setup.

Quick Reply: Ideal carbon canister purge conditions