'77 c10 swb lots of fab and pics (in progress) - Page 5 - LS1TECH

Conversions & Hybrids LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'77 c10 swb lots of fab and pics (in progress)

Old 12-04-2015, 10:26 AM   #81
TECH Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmrman View Post
LMFAO! technicalities.... Well Im not kidding... The number we spoke about..... I dont even care anymore.... I need it gone lololol
OK lemme scrape up some money and see if I can make an offer that won't embarrass me too bad.
truckdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:20 PM   #82
Launching!

Done. Let me know.
drmrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:52 PM   #83
TECH Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdoug View Post
350SS, I highly recommend a plasma, but go upmarket from what I bought. It eats consumables like crazy and the cutting amperage led read-out died with < 2 hours run time. A used thermal dynamics is what I'd do if I had my money back.
thanks for the info...I was actually considering going with what you have based on this thread so I appreciate the honest assessment. I've heard good things about the thermal dynamics units but you pay for what you get

keep up the good work
350SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:52 AM   #84
TECH Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCella View Post
Nice build. Your are a talented guy.
Hey thanks man. I really think anyone could do this level of fab, you just have to be motivated and not afraid to make mistakes. Mistakes are when you are learning the most.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:49 PM   #85
Launching!

And know how to weld. Aluminum. Properly cut thick and difficult material. Understand geometry and how to properly strengthen and brace components.

I don't "think anyone" can do this. You sir are talented. And have incredible patients. Keep it up. I love following your posts.
drmrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:22 PM   #86
TECH Addict

Thanks man! I really appreciate the kind words. It means a lot and is very motivating to continue. That transmission nearly had me whooped.

To anyone doubting they can do anything they see in this thread I recommend two books that have helped me greatly over the years.

the first is "machinery's handbook" this will give you everything you need to know about fasteners, material strengths, drilling speeds and a million other little bits of metalworking knowledge. it's kind of dry, but it's very easy to use as the index and ToC are fantastic.
Machinery's Handbook, 29th: Erik Oberg: 9780831129002: Amazon.com: Books Machinery's Handbook, 29th: Erik Oberg: 9780831129002: Amazon.com: Books

the next book is something I picked up recently at the recommendation of a coworker. I myself am not a welder by trade, but on occasion I get the chance to embarrass myself in front of some very fine pipefitters and boilermakers. it's Audel's Welding Handbook.
Audel Welding Pocket Reference: James E. Brumbaugh, Rex Miller: 9780764588099: Amazon.com: Books Audel Welding Pocket Reference: James E. Brumbaugh, Rex Miller: 9780764588099: Amazon.com: Books

it has lots of easy reference charts for amperages, travel speeds, materials and fillers, what size chamfers to put on for what kind of joint etc.. very handy.

I'm sorry I haven't PM'd you about the 9" stuff, things are kind of tenuous at work. They're putting us on 12 hour shifts M-F plus an 8 on Saturday, but there is no guarantee of a job when this boat is done (such is life at the shipyard, feast or famine) so I'm trying to save every penny for the possibility of an extended lay-off.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:26 AM   #87
9 Second Club

Nice build up. Damn sure are making the best from what you have laying around. It looks fabulous so far. I may be particularly partial though since the first vehicle I purchased was a 77'.

Subscribed
Kingsize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:16 AM   #88
TECH Enthusiast

I really like where this project is going! Great job.
lownfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:50 PM   #89
TECH Addict

haven't gotten to "play garage" lately. the school term finished up and I went on 12 hour shifts almost immediately after that. i'm pretty much a shipyard-zombie, but I sneak out to the garage for a few minutes here and there.

here's the start of the c-notch getting layed out.

plasma cutter decided to show cutting amps again, so that's nice.

tigged in some 3/16" HRS plate. a little tidbit I picked up is to use HRS sheet for structural stuff like this. grinding the slag off sucks but CRS sheet is annealed, making it softer than HRS sheet.

decided to go with a watts link, so i'm ordering rod ends for that and drawing it out.
finished my drawing out of the 4 link too. it took a while since i wanted to have the ability to dial in squat or anti squat depending on what I do for tires. I also wanted to be able to add 300lbs for a cage and be able to adjust for that.

still haven't found any deals on coilovers for the back. I think I need about 5.5 to 6" of travel which should open up a lot of options.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:48 PM   #90
TECH Regular

Could you post your drawings for your 4 link, and what are your plans? I can't decide what I want to do, rear leaves or triangulated 4 link. Viking coilovers seem to be the best for the money I have found.
operatorfailure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:47 PM   #91
TECH Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdoug View Post
haven't gotten to "play garage" lately. the school term finished up and I went on 12 hour shifts almost immediately after that. i'm pretty much a shipyard-zombie, but I sneak out to the garage for a few minutes here and there.

here's the start of the c-notch getting layed out.

plasma cutter decided to show cutting amps again, so that's nice.

tigged in some 3/16" HRS plate. a little tidbit I picked up is to use HRS sheet for structural stuff like this. grinding the slag off sucks but CRS sheet is annealed, making it softer than HRS sheet.

decided to go with a watts link, so i'm ordering rod ends for that and drawing it out.
finished my drawing out of the 4 link too. it took a while since i wanted to have the ability to dial in squat or anti squat depending on what I do for tires. I also wanted to be able to add 300lbs for a cage and be able to adjust for that.

still haven't found any deals on coilovers for the back. I think I need about 5.5 to 6" of travel which should open up a lot of options.
Can you please define some of the TLAs that you are using?

Andrew
Project GatTagO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 04:29 PM   #92
TECH Addict

haha yeah im bad at that. thats what you get for working with engineers. they friggin love their FLAs and TLAs lol

HRS is hot rolled steel, CRS is cold rolled steel. DOM is drawn over mandrel.

operatorfailure, i used this freeware to model my 4 link. I'm doing a parallel set up as it's mostly a straight line blaster.
http://www.therangerstation.com/Maga...inkV3-1_1c.zip
Old 12-12-2015, 05:35 PM   #93
TECH Regular

Quote:
operatorfailure, i used this freeware to model my 4 link. I'm doing a parallel set up as it's mostly a straight line blaster.
http://www.therangerstation.com/Maga...inkV3-1_1c.zip
Thanks!
Old 12-13-2015, 09:33 AM   #94
TECH Addict

one thing I have found helpful is keeping and honest and accurate accounting record of how much you spend on a project. Here's a screenshot to show you how even a "cheap" or "junkyard" project like mine can get out of hand really quick. Keep in mind this doesn't show all the stuff I had on hand, was given or just plain forgot to add in.

Probably the biggest cost is time. I'm downright afraid to track my time on things like this. Budgeting time and sticking to deadlines and completion dates is really difficult but very helpful in keeping a project moving.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:00 PM   #95
TECH Addict

my buddy blew the head gasket on his subie so he's borrowing my garage for a week.
i'm kinda burnt on wrenching, and everything really.

work schedule is nuts. 12 hour shifts are bad for your mental health. I cant wait until this boat is done and I can go back to 8's.

anyways I got some stuff knocked off the honey-do list (re-grout the shower, yay!)
and I got a little start on the harness.

I'm gonna run a 3 bar open-loop speed density (OLSD) via HP Tuners, so I'm yarding the emissions controls and narrowband O2's. no a/c needed in the pacific northwest so that stuff can go too.

it might be interesting to someone, so I'll make note of it. I'm leaving the fuel composition wiring in so that somewhere down the line I can try and play with e85 or e100. Currently only one station in my area sells e85 at the pump so it's not real popular around here.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:12 PM   #96
TECH Addict

oh hey does anyone know of a slick solution for a fuse & relay set up?

on my last swap I used the stuff that brandon from lt1swaps uses, it's okay but it's not OEM nice.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:19 PM   #97
TECH Regular

I'm using a speedway knock off painless wiring setup on my wagon but if most of your wiring is good this looks nice.

http://m.delcity.net/store/Sealed-Mini-Fuse-&-ISO-280-Mini-Relay-Combo-Panel-!-Partially-Bussed/p_804298

Sloppy mechanics wiki has tons of useful links.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:22 PM   #98
TECH Addict

damn that panel is slick. I think I'm gonna just stick with the lt1swap stuff, i found the box of junk leftover fron the last swap and there's 99% of the stuff I need. just need to figure out an IAT and a 3 bar map. probably use the stuff denmah uses.

ordered some of this stuff instead of convoluted tubing this time
http://www.cableorganizer.com/woven-wrap/
I was surprised at how cheap it is
Old 12-19-2015, 11:14 PM   #99
TECH Addict

finally got my garage back. still getting slaughtered at work.

i did manage to finish boxing in the c-notch.

other than that i've just been horse trading parts and buying little stuff.

i have decided to forego skinnies up front for something meatier. the saturn vue electric assisted power steering might be taking up residence in lil blue soon.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:14 AM   #100
Staging Lane

Loving the progress. I'm subscribing for sure!
86LSC10 is offline   Reply With Quote