Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some advice please:)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 06:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some advice please:)

Hello all. Been lurking for awhile, gaining and gathering as much info as possible. Great forum! I'm doing my first LS Swap. A LQ9/4L60e into a 71 Camaro w/ AC. I have the engine and tranny already. I'm trying to gather up all the stuff I'll need prior even starting this project, within reason. Also, I'm thrifty and really don't want to spend more than I have to getting this done. This is just going to be a street car, mild cam, headers and a tune.

I've ordered Dirty Dingo DD mounts upon the recommendation from a few people. Now, I'm discovering that headers, at least some lower priced ones, MAY not be compatible with that mount. Dirty Dingo recommends Kook's or American Racing, which are both very high end headers, near 1000 dollars. I don't want to spend 1000 dollars for headers just because I have already bought 79 dollar mounts lol. This is a 450 HP build that will be a street-only car. Does anyone have any 'known good' solutions to this? Since quite a few people are running those mounts, surely someone has installed some decent 350-500 dollar headers that worked with those mounts. I really try to research things myself without pestering people but as you add in the variables, it really narrows down the results. LS Swap, 2nd Gen F-body, AC, 4l60e, DD mounts, etc.

Again, great forum! Glad I found it! Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Old 11-18-2015, 10:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-45153

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-45150
Old 11-18-2015, 10:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dt...t/model/camaro

just some I have seen used. Its gonna be hard to tell if they work or not without trying
Old 11-18-2015, 11:42 AM
Teching In

Thanks so much for the reply. Yes, I've looked at Hedman's stuff. Particularly the 45136 and 45126 headers. From what I've seen so far, they have a great product for the money. After speaking to Hedman, they design their headers around the Muscle Rod's LS Swap kit (mounts). Oddly, they weren't sure if they would work with the Dirty Dingo mounts. Of course, I realize with all the manufacturers and all the different bodies that swaps are being done in it's pretty hard to get a straight answer. I get that. Still, it seems like these are common mounts going into a common F-body, seems like someone out there would have been down this road before. I hate to just order stuff taking a shot in the dark as to if they will work or not. Starting to think I should just find the headers then order mounts known to work with them. Might be easier....
Old 11-18-2015, 10:10 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to LS1tech!

Lets stick this conversion thread in the conversions sections.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my 72 I used the Hooker setup, very nicely built stainless headers and their mounts are heavy duty and cadium plated
Old 11-19-2015, 09:51 AM
Teching In

I went ahead and ordered the Hedman 45126 LS swap headers. I guess we'll see how they work with these DD mounts. I'll keep you posted! Thanks for the input! I'm sure I will have more questions as this build gets going.

Quick Reply: Some advice please:)