Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeep swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The engine mount exhaust manifold/header and steering shaft support is definitely a critical area lucky for you not having to deal with CARB and retaining cats and using carb approved headers of stock manifolds. I had to get crafty getting everything to fit plus having a 2.5 coilover and tower to also deal with. Built my own steering shaft mount that houses a bearing just on the back side of shock tower
Attached Thumbnails Jeep swap-photo451.jpg  
Old 02-22-2016, 12:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ls1.63cad- Wow! Beautiful jeep! That looks like a lot of hard hours of work, but well worth it. I don't have carb here in Washington, but still need to pass emissions. If they can plug into your obdII port, not have any codes and show that the engine is the same year as the donor or newer...you are golden! If there are issues/codes, then they check under the hood.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:40 AM
On The Tree

Thanks the body mounts and engine where raised 1 in to gain some room to fit ls3 manifolds and cats. The pre 1975 vehicles don't have any emissions here and are a dream to do have done 71 commando and 71 fj40 5.3 4l60 swap so clean and simple as well as 2 other tj 5.3 4l60 swaps all Ca smog legal and running all stock gauges just finished yj 5.3 ax15 5speed swap using Novak and custom built parts the ls family of engines seem right at home in jeeps. Your build looks good also ðŸ‘
Old 02-22-2016, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No inspections here in MN. I'd be legal if I vented the gas tank fumes back to the intake.

Does the LS3 block have to be drilled for the oil dip stick tube?

I used all Fbody accessories including the oil pan. Plenty of clearance. If you use the fbody pan on the LS3 you may have to cut the windage pan to clear the shallower front sump on the fbody pan.

I like a little noise from the exhaust but no drone during highway driving.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

This crate motor is from Jegs. Not sure if all LS3's come with an un-drilled dip stick tube hole or not. However, I will just change it so there is plenty of room for the exhaust. The Camaro pan has those mounting bosses that stick out. I'll try to sell it.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:26 AM
On The Tree

Looking over the wiring harness from the PDC, It looks like a lot of circuits can be eliminated. On the starter wiring there is a funky half moon shaped bracket with wiring in it. What did you guys do with it? Obviously the large lug on the starter goes to the pos batt cable, there are two other wires with the lug size terminal too.
I am not sure if I need to retain the jeeps ecm or not. It looks like several circuits run through the ecm. The gauges are from speedhut and are an obdII plug in. The one gauge that will need direct wiring is the fuel level gauge. Thinking I will also need to wire in my turn signals and high beans as well.
There is no abs on mine luckily. On the PDC, did you guys remove the terminal from the plug or just cut the wiring off short?
Old 02-24-2016, 08:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You can eliminate the Jeep PCM,you can find a schematic online for the Jeep if you don't already have one,I'll see if I can find the link where I found one.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TJ/LS3
Looking over the wiring harness from the PDC, It looks like a lot of circuits can be eliminated. On the starter wiring there is a funky half moon shaped bracket with wiring in it. What did you guys do with it? Obviously the large lug on the starter goes to the pos batt cable, there are two other wires with the lug size terminal too.
I am not sure if I need to retain the jeeps ecm or not. It looks like several circuits run through the ecm. The gauges are from speedhut and are an obdII plug in. The one gauge that will need direct wiring is the fuel level gauge. Thinking I will also need to wire in my turn signals and high beans as well.
There is no abs on mine luckily. On the PDC, did you guys remove the terminal from the plug or just cut the wiring off short?
I am currently stripping down a 98 XJ Harness which is similar to yours. If you are not running the Jeep gauges you can eliminate a truckload of wires from the engine bay. I would suggest either getting an FSM for your year of TJ or trying to search for pinouts and colors so you know what to eliminate. You'll need to tie into the ignition switch circuit at the very least.

You can remove the wires completely from the PDC. It does come apart pretty easily.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

I will search for a wiring schematic. The one in my hanes manual is not very clear. Does anyone know where to get a dash panel to mount gauges in? I saw one on here where a guy is mounting a 5th gen engine in a tj and had his gauges in black plastic panel that mounts where the instrument cluster goes.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:42 PM
Launching!

I kept the stock computer but I'm running the stock gbauges. I suspect the wires on the large lug are for full time 12 volt to something. PCM maybe or dome lights and such? I don't recall the half moon shaped do hickey thing. Really all you should need is the start wire to the starter. I pulled the start and run 12 volt off the fuse box behind the glove box. It may be easier to find a start and run wire at the PCM as you remove it.

The PCM may be supplying a 5 volt signal or grounds to some relays. To which I couldn't tell you.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Thanks JIMB. Once I get a more comprehensive wiring diagram I'll try to ditch the jeep ecm. Did you keep your airbag wiring?
Also, I did find the panel. For any of you TJ or XJ folks, it is autometer #5381. It is pre-drilled for two 3 3/8 gauges and four 2 1/16 ones. It looks good and would be better that what I could create.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

The only reason for keeping the jeep ecm is to run stock gauges. What year is you tj I have a lot of all data print outs on the different year tjs wiring
Old 02-24-2016, 09:43 PM
Launching!

I did keep the air bag. I didn't think of that. I didn't do anything to disable them.

On my BMW E36 LS swap I did remove the stock PCM since it only controlled engine functions.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

I did find some schematics online. Started on mounting the gas pedal. Had to drill out the upper stud. The lower stud will be used for the lower mount and a new stud/bolt will be installed for the upper one. This one is drive by wire, nice and simple! Will get motor mounts welded on Friday. The engine install will depend on when the oil pan arrives.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TJ/LS3
I will search for a wiring schematic. The one in my hanes manual is not very clear. Does anyone know where to get a dash panel to mount gauges in? I saw one on here where a guy is mounting a 5th gen engine in a tj and had his gauges in black plastic panel that mounts where the instrument cluster goes.
This is what I ended up doing about my gauges:

Name:  sm-20150822_140550_zpsvmkx7h3l.png
Views: 1554
Size:  732.5 KB

I used Intellitronix gauges and made an aluminum plate to mount them to. A few other XJ guys are doing the same thing. FrankZ and JohnD on NAXJA are two other examples:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1027402
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost....&postcount=304
Old 02-25-2016, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I think the jeeps ac is also goes through the pcm, i imagine there is a way around that......
Old 02-25-2016, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Stomperxj- looks cool with the carbon fiber!
slocaddy- on the diagrams I have looked at so far, a lot of things feed through the pcm. I may leave it there until I get back from Moab. Main thing is to have this thing running well enough to wheel!
Old 04-01-2016, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

Gauges arrived and set up. I will need to order an oil pressure gauge, the obdII one does not have a sender to the ECM.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

After being away....I'm back at it! Painted the frame and motor mounts. Prepping the engine for install.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:05 AM
Staging Lane

Good to see you back. Where did you get the gauge cluster? Looks like a vacuum formed plastic piece?

Quick Reply: Jeep swap