Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's improve an LY5 5.3L.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Let's improve an LY5 5.3L.

Not my project, but a friend is putting a 2007 Silverado LY5 5.3L into a 2002 GMC single cab step side with an outgoing 4.3L V6.

To start, we'll want to delete whatever systems won't transfer. I assume the AFM is one of those systems. Anything else? I should mention we're thinking about long tube headers and dual exhaust so we'de be deleting the CATs and imagine we'll need a reprogram to get around those issues.

Anyone recommend a computer that will work with the 2002 GMC truck and the 2007 LY5 engine?

Next on the list, performance wise, I'm needing suggestions for intake, cam, and throttle body. Looking for value. I don't need the biggest HP adders but suggestions that come with noticeable improvements and manageable costs are preferable.

I've read a common intake upgrade is the LS6 intake.

Likewise, I've also read the Comp Thumpr is a well liked cam.

Ideas?
Old 01-08-2016, 06:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Far as I know the LY5 is 2007 and later which means stock it has the best cathederal port intake(TBSS) and a bigger TB, the LS6 intake would be a meaningful DOWNGRADE.
Heck even if you had the older truck intake the LS6 intake is NOT a meaningful upgrade from it.

How will the truck be used?

http://www.hotrod.com/features/1507-...ifolds-tested/
Old 01-09-2016, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Far as I know the LY5 is 2007 and later which means stock it has the best cathederal port intake(TBSS) and a bigger TB, the LS6 intake would be a meaningful DOWNGRADE.
Heck even if you had the older truck intake the LS6 intake is NOT a meaningful upgrade from it.

How will the truck be used?

http://www.hotrod.com/features/1507-...ifolds-tested/

Great to know that, thank you. All my previous searches, which usually did not include WHICH 5.3L was being upgraded, indicated the LS6 intake was an improvement. I like knowing the LY5 intake is already improved. Saves time and money.

The truck is basically going to be a street cruiser. Functional as a truck when something needs to be hauled, but it'll have a nice wheel and tire package, aggressive stance but not too low, and used for 'spirited' driving with no planned racing. It's a unique body style and will look good with some minor customization and more fun to drive with a little more performance.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Look at that article and the old truck intake vs LS6, not really an upgrade but guys will post that it is because car parts are magic.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Look at that article and the old truck intake vs LS6, not really an upgrade but guys will post that it is because car parts are magic.
Especially Corvette parts!

If you have the complete intake, rail and injectors and it fits under the hood of your vehicle - don't change it unless you like to spend a bunch of money buying parts that look different.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Especially Corvette parts!

If you have the complete intake, rail and injectors and it fits under the hood of your vehicle - don't change it unless you like to spend a bunch of money buying parts that look different.

Don't worry, I'm not the type to replace parts unless it's for a good reason, and the guy who's project we're working on would appreciate the fact that we don't 'need' to replace his intake.

So, now that we've closed the case on the intake...

...what's a good cam for street and show fun?

Next, will we need to replace the computer in his 2002 Sierra or can it be reprogrammed for the 2007 LY5?

Finally, will the harness in his 2002 Sierra which had a 4.3L need to be replaced or can it be used as well? I don't know enough about switching the engines in those later year trucks.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango_Boy
...what's a good cam for street and show fun?

Next, will we need to replace the computer in his 2002 Sierra or can it be reprogrammed for the 2007 LY5?

Finally, will the harness in his 2002 Sierra which had a 4.3L need to be replaced or can it be used as well? I don't know enough about switching the engines in those later year trucks.
I'm not a cam guy nor do I want to get in that debate so I'll leave that for someone else. My suggestion is speak with a professional who knows cams and understands your goals.

The last 2007 Silverado 5.3 I did used an E38 PCM. This PCM is drive by wire and 58x only. You won't be able to use the 2002 Sierra PCM to control that engine because it won't know what to do with the 58x crank signal (it's expecting 24x).

The wiring harness for the 4.3 V6 that came from the truck will have to be heavily modified to work with a Gen IV engine (or even a Gen III). Best bet would be getting the proper harness, PCM and throttle pedal for the engine and adapting them to the truck. That way you can also sell the unneeded parts you have.

The "easier" conversion (if you were starting from ground zero) would be to use a Gen III engine. The Gen III engines are 24x which will be able to use the factory style PCM, drive by cable and keep all the gauges working.

Since you already have the Gen IV engine, you have some decisions to make on which direction you want to go. It can be done, but a Gen III may be cheaper in the end. You'll have to weigh the options on that.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Best bet would be getting the proper harness, PCM and throttle pedal for the engine and adapting them to the truck. That way you can also sell the unneeded parts you have.

I think we still have access to the 2007 the engine came out of. We should be able to get the pedal, PCM, and engine harness.

Who's a known quality reprogrammer for the E38 PCM?

Quick Reply: Let's improve an LY5 5.3L.