Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

280Z 5.3/T56 GT45 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 09:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 280Z 5.3/T56 GT45 Build Thread

Hear goes nothing! First time poster, long time lurker. This will serve to document my journey and hopefully (sooner than later) completion of putting a 5.3 "junkyard" motor with a "ebay" GT45 turbo and a 6 speed T56 into my 1977 Datsun 280Z.

There she is! Little neglected and rough around the edges but I plan on changing that.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:47 AM
Teching In

Parts List:
(Will be updated as parts are collected)

Motor:
- 5.3 junkyard pull out 140 km
- Complete ls1 intake
- F-body oil pan (complete pick-up tube, windage tray ect)
- Dirty Dingo conversion mounts

Transmission:
-T-56 transmission
- Spec clutch
-lightweight flywheel

Appearance:
-Brock Racing Enterprise spoiler

Last edited by JoshThePeople; 02-06-2016 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

Good luck, if you haven't already hit up Hybridz. There's a guy who builds 8.8 setups for the rear. The 280Z turbo rears are R200 and have a viscous lsd in them but aren't really all that strong IMO. They have CVs instead of Ujoints too, not sure what you've got. I can tell you I snapped Ujoints quickly on my car with a 383. Gearing is a bitch with r200 so an 8.8 is really a good step up, I'll get to mine one of these days. I have a 72 240 with intent to drop a 2jz in but a turbo V8 would rock!
Old 01-17-2016, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, Hybridz.org has more info than most people will ever need. Quite a few turbo LS setups over there, lots of info to be had from those guys. Good luck with the build! I am doing a mild 5.3 swap into my 71 240Z right now, no turbo.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Yeah I've been on hybrids.org a lot doing research and looking at what other people have done, it's defiantly helping with the process. I decided to post here tho because I'm a GM guy at heart! As for the rear end that's Goin to be last on my list of things to do, lots of options, I know someone who sells GTO rear ends out of parts cars, I have a 9" rear end laying around I could throw in there, quick and easily swap in the R200 or if I start running outta time just leave the stock one in and make it last the summer and build it up next winter because my goal is to have this on the road and running this summer! Also I did think about just Goin N/A with the 5.3 to get the car rolling and on the road faster but I ended up deciding I want to do the engine/engine bay/exhaust ect once and be done with it.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just keep skinny tires on it and the R200 will be all you will ever need.

LSD options are limited and expensive with the Nissan diffs. Not all turbo diffs are viscous. The 87 and on are clutch type. But they are hard to come by, cost a stupid amount and are usually in need of a rebuild when you do find them.

I got lucky and got in on the Hybridz group buy before the nismo factory got destroyed in an earth quake.

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 01-20-2016 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:19 PM
Teching In

Wood earthquake! Just in time I would say. Yeah tires will break loose hopefully before any damage can be done and if it does break just another reason to upgrade haha but for now more important things to worry about.

Keep trying to post more pictures of progress but it won't allow me? (Too new of member still?). Either way next on the list is the motor. Will be picking up a 5.3 early next week from a local scrap yard.

Will try to get a 2005 or newer because from what I have heard they are a bit stronger but if nessary i don't have a problem getting something a bit older. Before anyone says it Cheap, Fast or Reliable you can only have 2. Well Cheap and Fast for this one. I got access to a trailer for if it breaks and other cars I can drive so that's my choice.

I have spent many of hours (days,weeks) researching. Want to keep the 5.3 as close to stock as possible to keep it a true junkyard/budget build and only do absolutely nessary upgrades.

MAIN POINTS FOR THE LAZY PEOPLE: (just kidding/kinda )
Motor upgrades:
LS9 cam: budget friendly and good for boost and extra power, but finding conflicting claims that some just swap it in and done and some need all kinds of extra parts to change cam sensor position and few other things?
Valves: no idea which ones I need or anything to be honest
And then the basic parts new head gaskets, bolts ect..

Anyone see anything wrong with my logic? Have any constructive criticism? Thanks

Last edited by JoshThePeople; 01-22-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

Nice did old lt1 swap in 240 many years ,good luck guy.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:57 AM
Teching In

Wish the pictures would work!! But anyways still progressing on the car, got the motor also been still pulling apart the car. More updates soon!

Quick Reply: 280Z 5.3/T56 GT45 Build Thread