Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 S-10 turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed the transgo HD kit yesterday. I followed denmah's video as a safety guide since I've never messed with a valve body before. The install was pretty simple. The trans fuild was pretty dark for amount of miles on it.

Also got my circle D torque converter today. I'm really impressed with this company so far. The customer service was legit when I was trying to figure which converter to order and it came professional boxed with instructions which is always nice.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

I don't know why everyone went on about the valve job, when the factory didn't do a 3 or 5 angle valve job, just a single angle seat. Do the guys who posted that actually think you lapped those in soooo much, you removed a entire angle or 2?

I lap them in until they hold liquid. Once they hold liquid, they are good.

Good progress.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by D-WAKE
Wanted to post some comparison photos of truck manifolds vs TBSS manifolds since I couldn't find any when I was looking. The TBSS tucks a lot closer to the block than the truck ones.

TBSS no.1

TBSS no.2

Truck no. 1

Truck no. 2

Both TBSS hopefully I can run these if it clears everything

Better angle

Are you definitely going to do a frontside merge pipe? It looks like from the pic the tbss manifold will hit the hood. Trying to figure what I am going to do for my setup and would love to see some good ideas. Nice work, keep it up!
Old 03-20-2016, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by zachgregg
Are you definitely going to do a frontside merge pipe? It looks like from the pic the tbss manifold will hit the hood. Trying to figure what I am going to do for my setup and would love to see some good ideas. Nice work, keep it up!
Thanks, I'm pretty set on doing a frontside merge as of right now. Im going to squeeze the rad into the core support so I think I'll have room for it. Once I set the motor in and see how bad the clearance is between the shaft and box it could change my plans. Here is a piece of small tubing I had laying around to show what I plan on doing if I run them flipped up. I want to run them flipped down if I can. Sorry about the crappy cell pics

Got my turbo drain bung welded in. Ran into a little problem trying to weld the top side of the fitting because the oil pan lip sticks way out! The welds are pretty ugly.

So I just welded the inside instead of making a huge mess trying to get my torch in the small area.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:14 PM
Teching In

I used cpw mounts for my swap. Set all the way forward, and have room after recessing the stock 4.3 rad into the core support using truck accessories. Should still be enough room to sneak in a merge pipe.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Made some progress..
Seated the converter, mounted the trans to the motor, installed new oil pan, bolted timing cover on, now I just need to get the crankshaft pulley on!

Here is a comparison of a red and blue oil pan pickup o-ring. I got a blue one with the ported oil pump and red came with the GM muscle car pan.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Converted the radiator to dual pass today.
The welds look like hammered dog poopy but oh well.
I've never had such a problem welding aluminum as I did today.
I'm thinking it was because I used a 4.5 angle grinder to cut it open and I normally use it on steel.

WAY TOO THICK but it's what I had laying around!

Last edited by D-WAKE; 03-21-2016 at 07:05 PM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 03-22-2016, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Everything is looking good man!

But one thing I can tell you from experience don't start marking the turbo kit out of the truck it is EXTREMELY tight in these trucks and I played hell getting everything to fit perfect doing it in the truck.

Nice drain back location that's the same spot I used.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Can a MOD move this to the forced induction section.

I have to figure out which turbo oil feed setup I want to run.

Option 1 I like this the best just not sure if it will clear the firewall.

Option 2 might be able to run this if clearance is a issue.

Option 3 would have to drill and tap the oil cooler bypass plate.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tuckin15s
Everything is looking good man!

But one thing I can tell you from experience don't start marking the turbo kit out of the truck it is EXTREMELY tight in these trucks and I played hell getting everything to fit perfect doing it in the truck.

Nice drain back location that's the same spot I used.

Thanks for the advise. I'm definitely going to wait because I have a bad feeling these manifolds are going to hit the steering shaft. I want to set the motor in the next 2 weeks. I'm just waiting on funds so I don't have the truck apart for weeks and weeks.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

Looks like it's coming along nicely!
Old 03-23-2016, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Why don't you grab yourself a pre-taped oil block off plate. They're cheap and easy.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by zachgregg
Why don't you grab yourself a pre-taped oil block off plate. They're cheap and easy.
I might drill and tap mine if I can't run everything behind the intake. But I want to try and see if it will fit first.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D-WAKE

Thanks for the advise. I'm definitely going to wait because I have a bad feeling these manifolds are going to hit the steering shaft. I want to set the motor in the next 2 weeks. I'm just waiting on funds so I don't have the truck apart for weeks and weeks.
I'll lay money they will hit haha i notched my driver side manifold for my steering shaft and I even have an aftermarket 3/4 dd shaft steering shaft.

I would run the oil feed on the side of the filter housing cause then you know the turbo is getting good filtered oil right from the source. This is how I did mine.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:22 PM
Teching In

I'll lay money they will hit haha i notched my driver side manifold for my steering shaft and I even have an aftermarket 3/4 dd shaft steering shaft.

I would run the oil feed on the side of the filter housing cause then you know the turbo is getting good filtered oil right from the source. This is how I did mine.

Yeah I'm planning on notching the driver side and maybe running a jeep shaft because it's a little thinner. I mainly wanted to run it from the back of the block so I don't have a 6ft feed line. I have a 4ft braided line already but it's not going to reach the turbo from the bypass. Next weekend I'll probably set it in and have a better idea of what's going to work.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I think I have a line that's long enough left over from when I made my line if I do you pay shipping and you can have it?
Old 03-26-2016, 07:55 PM
Teching In

Well I think I have a line that's long enough left over from when I made my line if I do you pay shipping and you can have it?
I sent you a PM.

Does anyone know what this know what this grey stuff on the internals is? I'm guessing LSD clutch pack material. The oil looked clean coming out so I'm going to say it isn't bearing material.

Going to try and clean up the rotors/calipers with a wire wheel. Have to replace the parking brake pads though.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah that's probably more than likely clutch material.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Cleaned up the rear and caked on chassis savers I had laying around from another project I did. The parking brake pads weren't too bad to replace just needed needle nose pilers and a flat head screwdriver. I'm thinking about getting GT500 wheels since they are 7.125 backspacing and almost fit the stock width 8.8 in the s10 perfect.

Rattle canned the calipers after I hit them with the wire wheel.

Water pump installed and cut the alternator bracket since I'm not running P/S.

Cut up a skid plate I had from a old truck and made a plate to cover the 5 speed hole and it brings the shifter up a few inches to a more comfortable position.

Poop welds again.. but I polished it anyway.

Ordered injectors, exhaust tubing and small things I plan to make a lot of progress this week/weekend.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

Truck is coming along nicely! Cant wait to see the engine installed!! Keep us posted!

Quick Reply: 1995 S-10 turbo build