Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD2 Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default OBD2 Question

Has anyone used any of the apts available for Apple products (iPhone, iPad) as a diagnostic tool to help diagnose problems? I have no such tools for this, but
I do have an iPhone 6sPlus and an iPad Pro. Just wondering if any of the apts from the iTune Store are a way to go. Or should I just buy one of the advertised tools for the job.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Obd ii

Don't have a smart phone but did get a cheap RCA tablet ($45) from Wally World, Bluetooth adapter from the 'net $18 and Torque Pro ($5). Gauges galore, data capture, read and clear codes. MPH is GPS too. Can do more with it than I care to list. Discovered my long term fuel trims to be a problem.
Attached Thumbnails OBD2 Question-tablet-gauges-002.jpg  

Last edited by 33willys; 04-21-2016 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Last time this question came up the aps for apple products were pricey and didn't do as much as the $5 android aps (Torque). Most guys just stick with the cheaper android.

Used galaxy phones are pretty damn cheap. That or get a cheap tablet. Save the apple stuff for ordering overpriced espressos, LOL
Old 04-21-2016, 07:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still true POP N WOOD.

I am a big Apple user, but for anything Bluetooth, they suck.

I needed a second cell phone as the iPhone I have is for work. I made sure to get an android.

I just bought the OBDII scanner with BT and have the Torque APP on the phone. I can't wait to try it. I think it's going to to be a huge help as I'm getting ready to fire up the LS2 in my 55 88.

You can get an APP for IOS called Dash Command that is pretty cool, but it doesn't read half the stuff you really want like trans oil temps and fuel pressure. Pretty graphics though......

And costs three times for the reader.

Last edited by jozw30; 04-21-2016 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-21-2016, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I got a Motorola "Moto E" prepaid phone from Amazon to replace a prior phone I broke, for $39. Stuck my simm chip in from from the previous phone, and bam, cheap (albeit slow) replacement. That phone, plus an old Samsung note 2 that a friend gave me and a Samsung tablet all have Torque Pro on them. Total cost for the app was just 5 bucks, as all three devices are linked to my Google play account. The tablet looks best because it has more screen, but the cell phones both do the job.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My OBD2 plug only has three or four wires. How is it possible to get all that information from so few wires?
Old 04-21-2016, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by t-town
My OBD2 plug only has three or four wires. How is it possible to get all that information from so few wires?
Yep, it's just a matter of having the right plug and communication protocol. Look at a Ethernet network cable, for instance. Only 4 of the leads in those are actually used, and they pass WAY more information than a OBD2 port can.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by t-town
It's called a serial port. Think of it like a telegraph line with a stream of dots and dashes coming out.

Hell, your cable TV has a single wire.

Quick Reply: OBD2 Question