Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bare L96, no harness or ECU

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alocker
All excellent advice above. Keep in mind you want to match the ECM with the TB. The LS3 intake would work great with a 87mm truck TB. I don't know the details of the ecm's with the 6 speeds but you might want to get one set up for one already.

Are you planning to modify a stock harness or get an aftermarket harness?
alocker,

The ecu has to match with the TB? I don't get it... why the TB and not the engine? How does the TB take the cake on that? Please excuse my stupidity!
Old 04-28-2016, 05:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by L92 OLDS
Yea, my bad. I had a brain fart and confused L96 with L99's in newer Camaro's. Good thing for Superman though. He should have the good lifters already and no need to swap out DOD.
L92 OLDS,

you mentioned DOD again... does my L96 have DOD or not? From the info all of you gave me i got that it does no have DOD.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SupermanRules
alocker,

The ecu has to match with the TB? I don't get it... why the TB and not the engine? How does the TB take the cake on that? Please excuse my stupidity!
Like said before, if it's an L96 it wont have DOD. Take a picture of the engine and post it if you have any questions.

If it is an L96, then any LS3, L76, L99 intake will fit.

Any Gen 4 intake will have the larger 4 bolt intake that accepts both car 90mm TB and truck 87mm TB. both fit fine but need to be compatible with the OS in the ECM. If you run a L99 Camaro TB with an ECM that has Van OS, it may not work correctly.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:18 PM
Teching In

All,

Thanks a bunch for all the info! Really handy, I wanted opinions on the transmission i should use for my build, The 6L80e is newer but no yet proven so i wanted to stick with whats been around... the 4Lxx transmissions! I was wondering if the 4L85e would work with my L96, let me know your thoughts on this please. i also have an option for a 2007 Chevy Tahoe (that was a cop cruiser) does that come with the 4L60e? If so would that be ok for my application?

Anyone of you guys know of anyone on the forums that probably selling the 4L85e? or any one of the 4Lxx models?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Old 05-11-2016, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

L96 info directly from GM:

https://archives.media.gm.com/us/pow..._PWT_L96_n.doc

Six liter engine with Flex Fuel and VVT, but no AFM (DoD). Apparently it also has stainless steel exhaust manifolds and Inconel exhaust valves!

Andrew
Old 05-11-2016, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

MorePSI,

I found an 6L80e on craigslist today, this is off of a 2011 Camaro SS with 24000 miles. He's selling it without the oil pan, the torque converter and the tailshaft... Is that worth it for $500.00. I know i can probably get the TC and the oil pan from guys here in the forum but where can i get the tailshaft? Besides the missing parts he pulled components off of the engine that he said i can have... I'm hoping the Intake is there for the taking!!! Is the 2011 SS engine parts swappable with my l96? Thats a 5th gen motor...
Sorry, I lost track of this thread after a hectic couple weeks. I'd avoid an incomplete 6L80E, parts can add up pretty quickly with those and I'd be somewhat suspicious on what caused it to reach that state in the first place. It's a 5th gen Camaro, you're correct in that regard, however the engine (L99) is Gen IV LS engine architecture.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:45 PM
Teching In

MorePSI,

The past few weeks have been crazy for me as well.... the question on my post last night still stands, I think i've moved past the 6Lxx transmissions.

I wanted opinions on the transmission i should use for my build, The 6L80e is newer but no yet proven so i wanted to stick with whats been around... the 4Lxx transmissions! I was wondering if the 4L85e would work with my L96, let me know your thoughts on this please. i also have an option for a 2007 Chevy Tahoe (that was a cop cruiser) does that come with the 4L60e? If so would that be ok for my application?

Anyone of you guys know of anyone on the forums that probably selling the 4L85e? or any one of the 4Lxx models?

I heard the 4L85e is a beast and super strong... i want to go with that...i can't seem to find 1 though. I really dont want to get stuck with the 2007 tahoe transmission...
Old 05-11-2016, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
L96 info directly from GM:

https://archives.media.gm.com/us/pow..._PWT_L96_n.doc

Six liter engine with Flex Fuel and VVT, but no AFM (DoD). Apparently it also has stainless steel exhaust manifolds and Inconel exhaust valves!

Andrew
Project GatTagO,

Thanks for the reply but the link seems to be broken. If you get a chance please resend.

Also, any info on my post last night would be appreciated.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:39 AM
10 Second Club

The 85e has the same dimensions as the 80e, just slightly stronger internals. So yes, it will work.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by alocker
The 85e has the same dimensions as the 80e, just slightly stronger internals. So yes, it will work.

Hi,

But will it shift like a "car" transmission... talked to a guy today that says stick with the 4l60... it'll drive better he says...

i found a 4l80 for $750... not as good as the 85 but better than the 60...right... but that might shift like a truck as well... let me know.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:06 PM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi,

But will it shift like a "car" transmission... talked to a guy today that says stick with the 4l60... it'll drive better he says...

i found a 4l80 for $750... not as good as the 85 but better than the 60...right... but that might shift like a truck as well... let me know.
I bought a low mileage 4L80e core from a wrecked Express van for $500 and spent another $500 going through it. In the process I added a transgo 4l80E HD II kit and recalibrated the valve body for firm shift. Between the trans go kit options and tuning parameters you can modify shift parameters to your liking. I wouldn't be too worried about the "shift like a truck" issue.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/trg-4l80e-hd2
Old 05-12-2016, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by L92 OLDS
I bought a low mileage 4L80e core from a wrecked Express van for $500 and spent another $500 going through it. In the process I added a transgo 4l80E HD II kit and recalibrated the valve body for firm shift. Between the trans go kit options and tuning parameters you can modify shift parameters to your liking. I wouldn't be too worried about the "shift like a truck" issue.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/trg-4l80e-hd2
the core meaning no torque converter? so all in you spent $1200 for a 4l80 that shifts like a car... I just don't want to feel like i'm driving a truck... it's going in a cruiser not a race car.

I am so confused.... i seriously feel like the 4l60 is not a good trans.... not sure why...
Old 05-12-2016, 08:41 PM
10 Second Club

Tell us the name and city the trans shop is in who told you a 4L60e will drive better just so we all know to never go there. They are either trying to rip you off or they don't know what they are doing.

You can barely feel my 80e shift at part throttle. It's a TH400 with OD which was a trans installed in literally millions of cars from the factory.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

4L80E and 4L85E will both shift nearly identical to a 4L60E, automatics are not like manuals where a truck 4 speed like an SM465 shifts completely different than a Muncie M22. What will affect shift firmness is line pressure which to a certain extent is a tuneable variable through both a shift kit and I believe through the TCM (tried grabbing a 4L80E tune to verify this but unfortunately tunefiledepot.com has shut down). I'd recommend going 4L80E over a 4L60E simply for peace of mind.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Project GatTagO,

Thanks for the reply but the link seems to be broken. If you get a chance please resend.

Also, any info on my post last night would be appreciated.
Link works for me. It's a Word document.

Andrew
Old 05-14-2016, 05:19 PM
Teching In

Great news fellas, i found myself a 4L85e for $700.00. I'll go pick this up tomorrow... it's a 4x4 but i'll get it converted to a 2wd, a family friend of ours rebuilds transmissions for a living and he'll do this for $275.00 parts and labor... while it's open he can check out the internals and IF necessary i can get the "superior" brand kit which he likes better than transgo kit... a pretty much rebuilt 4L85e for less than $1000.00. Thought's on this please... after this post and it's replies i'll decide if i'll pick up the 4L80e (2wd) for $700.00 or the 4L85e (4x4) for $700.00 which i need to convert to 2wd...

SORRY TO BE A PAIN!

The transmission came out of a 2004 Chevy Avalanche with the 8.1L motor..... PLEASE tell me that this will bolt on to the 6.0 Gen IV (L96) that i have. I know the 4L85e will bolt up not sure of the 4L85e off of a 8.1L motor.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes it will bolt up .I have an ly6 (basicly same as l96) with a 4l85 in my cutlass . If you want plug n play go with mast motorsports ecm/ harness. Or call psi conversions . They will have ecm, harness, tune , pedal, everything you need . Great motor basicly an iron ls3. I have the mast performance package on mine. Went 12.5@112 4l85 is a perfect choice.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Thanks jimmyg!

I'm picking up the trans later on today! I'm working with someone (on the forums) to get/purchase the harness, ecm and tcm. With some maneuvering and reconfiguration i can get this to work with my setup! Very knowledgeable gentleman!

Does the pedal come with it's own computer??? and what is the "tune" that you mentioned? I have to source a pedal (and it's computer)...FAST!

Thanks again for all of your help everyone... cant wait to send some pics of parts i purchased!
Old 05-15-2016, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

there's several options for pedals to use with the e38 ecm, just need to get them wired correctly to the ecm since the pinouts vary
some examples:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...l-options.html
Old 05-16-2016, 01:21 PM
Teching In

Smile

Update, i picked up the 4l85 yesterday! All i need are a few more items and i should be good to go! I'm in need of the gen 4 harness (58x) along with ecu and tcm... The pedal and it's TAC wont be a problem unless one of u have a used 1 laying around! I'll also need to replace the neutral safety switch on the trans...

Again, i cant thank you guys enough!

Thanks jimmyg!

I'm picking up the trans later on today! I'm working with someone (on the forums) to get/purchase the harness, ecm and tcm. With some maneuvering and reconfiguration i can get this to work with my setup! Very knowledgeable gentleman!

Does the pedal come with it's own computer??? and what is the "tune" that you mentioned? I have to source a pedal (and it's computer)...FAST!

Thanks again for all of your help everyone... cant wait to send some pics of parts i purchased!

Quick Reply: Bare L96, no harness or ECU