Sponsored by:

Bare L96, no harness or ECU

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 08:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bare L96, no harness or ECU

Hello All,

I'm new here and know absolutely nothing about the Motor I purchased. I got an L96 from a 2014 UPS Truck with a bad oil pump for $700.00 but it came with no ECU or harness. This Motor is being dropped in a 1962 AMC Rambler Classic 400, which is already on Airbags. I need some direction if possible!

1) I believe this engine is a IV generation motor, is it considered an LS3? Where can i look on the engine for markings to help me identify the motor just in case it's not an L96?

2) What transmission will pair with this motor? I want the 6l90e but i hear is significantly bigger than the 4L60 and since the car is already bagged i'll need the clearance. The Oil pan MUST be shallow!

3) depending on the transmission (i believe ) what engine harness do i need or from what car should i pull the harness from?

4) Which ECM will i need?

5) Will i also need a TCM? I think the 6L90 has a TCM built in.

6) if i'm in the wrong section please point me in the right direction.

$ is a factor in all of this but i'll be paying lots more for fabrication, i want as close to the best i can get!
Attached Thumbnails Bare L96, no harness or ECU-rambler-1.jpg   Bare L96, no harness or ECU-rambler-2.jpg  
Old 04-27-2016, 12:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SupermanRules
Hello All,

I'm new here and know absolutely nothing about the Motor I purchased. I got an L96 from a 2014 UPS Truck with a bad oil pump for $700.00 but it came with no ECU or harness. This Motor is being dropped in a 1962 AMC Rambler Classic 400, which is already on Airbags. I need some direction if possible!

1) I believe this engine is a IV generation motor, is it considered an LS3? Where can i look on the engine for markings to help me identify the motor just in case it's not an L96?

An L96 is an iron block Gen IV engine with the same rectangular ports and valve sizing as LS3 heads but solid stem stainless intake valves and solid stem Inconel exhaust valves. These are commonly referred to as L92 heads. The engine will have VVT which means the front cover is larger than normal LS style engines to accommodate the cam phaser. The block should have a 6.0 and IV cast into it on the front driver side. Heads should have casting number 823 by spark plugs 1 and 8.

2) What transmission will pair with this motor? I want the 6l90e but i hear is significantly bigger than the 4L60 and since the car is already bagged i'll need the clearance. The Oil pan MUST be shallow!

Anything that will bolt to any other LS engine will bolt to an L96. The 6L90E would work fine as well as a 4L60E

3) depending on the transmission (i believe ) what engine harness do i need or from what car should i pull the harness from?

The simplest answer would be either a conversion harness that runs around 5-600 dollars from various vendors or once you decide on a transmission look for a factory pairing that is either exact or close. A factory harness can be used but you will be doing a lot of clean up as far as removing pins to get it down to a hot rod/custom style harness. With Gen IV stuff I think you're best off looking at what factory combinations are available. A 6L90e would likely be the easiest pairing as there are OS's readily available for that for either ECM you pick. Some of the harness vendors can help you out with an ECM as well that will be baselined for your requirements (may require tuning though depending on how modified you get)

4) Which ECM will i need?

An E38 is a common solution used. An E78 was used from the factory in later Silverado applications as well. This will be dependent on the harness as the pinouts and connectors are different.

5) Will i also need a TCM? I think the 6L90 has a TCM built in.

This is transmission dependent but you are correct that the 6L90E has the TCM inside the transmission, it is bolted to the valve body. This is necessary and needs to be wired in for correct functionality

6) if i'm in the wrong section please point me in the right direction.

$ is a factor in all of this but i'll be paying lots more for fabrication, i want as close to the best i can get!
Cool Rambler!

Couple answers in red to get you started. I personally think the L96 is a great engine having torn one down to look at what the factory hardware looks like these days I'm pretty impressed (I'm used to 60s/70s iron mostly). I am getting close to starting mine up to tune and I'm excited to see what can be done with the VVT for the increased flexibility in cam timing.

Last edited by MorePSI; 04-27-2016 at 10:14 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 04-27-2016, 06:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This probably has DOD also. Look at the valley cover, if its not smooth, it has DOD.

The L96 is a great motor but you are really starting from scratch. If space is an issue then yes, the 4L60 is the way to go and will require a TCM. The issues with factory stuff is I don't think an L96 ever came with a 4L60, only 6L80/90's so finding a factory harness might be impossible. You can either go custom built or aftermarket like the Holley EFI stuff.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

The L96 should not have DOD, it's essentially just a flex fuel capable LY6 with a stainless fuel rail and different injectors. Mine was untouched with under 10k miles from a 2013 Silverado 2500HD, smooth valley cover. A 4L80E would likely work fine since that was a combo used in Express vans with the LY6, not sure what differences there are between a 4L80E and 4L60E on the control/electronics side.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:54 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MorePSI
The L96 should not have DOD, it's essentially just a flex fuel capable LY6 with a stainless fuel rail and different injectors. Mine was untouched with under 10k miles from a 2013 Silverado 2500HD, smooth valley cover. A 4L80E would likely work fine since that was a combo used in Express vans with the LY6, not sure what differences there are between a 4L80E and 4L60E on the control/electronics side.
My bad, I mixed up the L96 with L92 about the DOD.

I'm not sure if a 4 speed auto was ever offered with the L96. That was the changeover year to the 6 speeds.

It would not be difficult though. You could pickup a LY6/4l80e harness E38 ecm T42 TCM and repin the harness and have the 4l60e segment loaded onto the TCM.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Superman rules,
That is a great engine. I would swap out the solid intake valves for some. LS3 INTAKE valves. Less than $200.00. Cheap insurance. PACE PERFORMANCE has great prices and they will price match.

MorePSI,
Do you have. A build thread for your. 70 Camaro?
Old 04-27-2016, 11:41 AM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Hello All,

!
How do you know the oil pump failed?....Interesting.

I have an L92 which is what the 6.2L LS3 is based on. Your L96 shares many of the same features but is a VVT 6.0L and has DOD (also called AFM) which I would remove with a delete kit.

I am using an E38 ECU with T47 external transmission controller running a late model 4L80E with a modified Escalade harness. The base tune will come from an Express van with VVT. I installed a Texas Speed VVT cam kit and will load the cam phaser tables they provided with the cam.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/l96/
Old 04-27-2016, 12:04 PM
Staging Lane

alocker,

All the similar RPOs definitely don't help when trying to remember specific details haha.

Yeah as far as I know the L96 is 6 speed auto only unless there's some export model I don't know about but just as you alluded the LY6/4L80E harness would work fine for the bulk of the wiring for a 4 speed auto.

Jimbo,

I haven't started one for it yet since it's sat around while I finish off my '97. Currently it's a roller with a 12 point cage, backhalf, through the floor SFCs, Jerico DR4, and Wilwoods up front. I had just finished the chassis right before I got the '97. It'll have an LS based engine of some sort so there will be a build thread here when I get back to it.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by L92 OLDS
How do you know the oil pump failed?....Interesting.

I have an L92 which is what the 6.2L LS3 is based on. Your L96 shares many of the same features but is a VVT 6.0L and has DOD (also called AFM) which I would remove with a delete kit.

I am using an E38 ECU with T47 external transmission controller running a late model 4L80E with a modified Escalade harness. The base tune will come from an Express van with VVT. I installed a Texas Speed VVT cam kit and will load the cam phaser tables they provided with the cam.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/l96/
l96 has niter 'active fuel management or displacement on demand' , but does have variable valve timing , as psi said it is basically a ly6 with flex fuel 'larger' injectors , hell of an engine stock , holley makes some nice oil pans that have good ground clearance , part number 303-2 being an example
Old 04-27-2016, 07:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MorePSI
Cool Rambler!

Couple answers in red to get you started. I personally think the L96 is a great engine having torn one down to look at what the factory hardware looks like these days I'm pretty impressed (I'm used to 60s/70s iron mostly). I am getting close to starting mine up to tune and I'm excited to see what can be done with the VVT for the increased flexibility in cam timing.
MorePSI,

Thanks for the info, appreciated! I am going to to go with the 6L80E. My fabricator is telling me that the 6L90E uses a specific output shaft which makes it difficult to swap. With that said I'm sure the 6L80E had many applications and it came in cars, not just trucks. Are these trannys coded differently for each of their application? What i mean is...should i get a 6L80E from a CTS-V or a Corvette... or can i just get one from a truck and swap oil pans...??? I'm also going with the LS3 intake so that should narrow my harness and ECU selections quite a bit!

Again, many thanks!
Old 04-27-2016, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Superman rules,
That is a great engine. I would swap out the solid intake valves for some. LS3 INTAKE valves. Less than $200.00. Cheap insurance. PACE PERFORMANCE has great prices and they will price match.

MorePSI,
Do you have. A build thread for your. 70 Camaro?
Jimbo1367,

The LS3 intake is what i'll be doing (thanks for confirming that it will work!). Is it a simple swap? I believe i'll also need gaskets, shorter bolts and fuel rails as well...

and... $200.00 form them... the thing is $800.00... http://paceperformance.com/i-8185604

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2016, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ijimmy
l96 has niter 'active fuel management or displacement on demand' , but does have variable valve timing , as psi said it is basically a ly6 with flex fuel 'larger' injectors , hell of an engine stock , holley makes some nice oil pans that have good ground clearance , part number 303-2 being an example
Ijimmy,

Thanks for confirming the L96 has no DoD or AFM! I can't find that part # (303-2) i did find PART# 302-2... maybe that is it?

Thank You!
Old 04-27-2016, 08:15 PM
Teching In

L92 OLDS,

the mechanic who sold it to me works at a truck repair shop, The motor came out of a 2014 UPS truck...(i went to his job and i saw the trucks and the motors) These UPS trucks come in and they scan the VIN to see if there were any recalls (so he says). Apparently if it showed up as a recall they and because of their warranty they swapped another engine with the new oil pump and dump the old engine (he has 2 more for sale).
Old 04-27-2016, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by alocker
My bad, I mixed up the L96 with L92 about the DOD.

I'm not sure if a 4 speed auto was ever offered with the L96. That was the changeover year to the 6 speeds.

It would not be difficult though. You could pickup a LY6/4l80e harness E38 ecm T42 TCM and repin the harness and have the 4l60e segment loaded onto the TCM.
alocker,

Now that i have decided to go with the 6L80E and the LS3 Intake will the LY6/4l80e harness, E38 ECM & T42 TCM still be good for my application?

Thank You!
Old 04-27-2016, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

A Corvette transmission is not advisable as it's more of a transaxle with a torque tube arrangement. I'd be looking at Camaro/CTS-V/Pontiac G8 for a good 6L80E.

The E38 would be fine as you could run a couple different operating systems to get that combo to work depending on everything else. The TCM would be within the transmission so you would use that. The harness would be specific to that application, a quick look shows they're around 719 or so for that compared to 665 for a 4L60E harness. I'm fairly certain there's more than a simple difference in connectors and pinouts between the 4L60E and 6L80E.

LS3 intakes are an easy swap. The bolts are different lengths and it's cheap insurance to replace the seals. The rails and injectors are different compared to the truck intake but the truck injectors can supposedly be used with different o-rings (haven't done it myself). I bought a used LS3 intake with rails/injectors/throttle body for 325 complete. They're somewhat common used since a lot of guys upgrade to FAST or similar intakes.

My harness is an aftermarket one but it's fairly common to use LS3 accessories, most of the connectors are fairly modular as far as truck or car accessories but it's always smart to cross check pinouts if you're adapting a GM harness.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

alocker,

Now that i have decided to go with the 6L80E and the LS3 Intake will the LY6/4l80e harness, E38 ECM & T42 TCM still be good for my application?

Thank You!
Nope, no need for the T42 TMC, your 6L80 has it internal, not sure what ecm works, Call PSI they will tell you what you need
Old 04-28-2016, 06:04 AM
10 Second Club

All excellent advice above. Keep in mind you want to match the ECM with the TB. The LS3 intake would work great with a 87mm truck TB. I don't know the details of the ecm's with the 6 speeds but you might want to get one set up for one already.

Are you planning to modify a stock harness or get an aftermarket harness?
Old 04-28-2016, 07:16 AM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ijimmy

Yea, my bad. I had a brain fart and confused L96 with L99's in newer Camaro's. Good thing for Superman though. He should have the good lifters already and no need to swap out DOD.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:38 PM
Teching In

MorePSI,

I found an 6L80e on craigslist today, this is off of a 2011 Camaro SS with 24000 miles. He's selling it without the oil pan, the torque converter and the tailshaft... Is that worth it for $500.00. I know i can probably get the TC and the oil pan from guys here in the forum but where can i get the tailshaft? Besides the missing parts he pulled components off of the engine that he said i can have... I'm hoping the Intake is there for the taking!!! Is the 2011 SS engine parts swappable with my l96? Thats a 5th gen motor...
Old 04-28-2016, 05:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by L92 OLDS
Yea, my bad. I had a brain fart and confused L96 with L99's in newer Camaro's. Good thing for Superman though. He should have the good lifters already and no need to swap out DOD.
L92 OLDS,

so the 2011 camaro SS is an L99.... right? if so will that intake manifold fit on my l96?

Quick Reply: Bare L96, no harness or ECU