Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

El Camino LS3 Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 04:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default El Camino LS3 Swap?

Hi I'm considering swapping a LS3 Crate engine into a El Camino with a TH400 and 12 Bolt.

This will be a street car solely. I see so much misinformation I have to ask a few questions.

I just want 500-550 FWHP. I'm thinking of buying a LS376/430 and doing a cam swap and running a Edelbrock performer intake (1500-6500 RPM)with a TBI (Holley Terminator) to keep the classic look.

With long tubes and small cam and Carb intake will I still be able to have awesome drivability and plenty of power in low RPM's.

I'm not looking for insane power. Just enough to be faster than most cars and still be able to hook up.

I'm thinking between engine, cam kit, oil pan I'm in it for 7500 which is a pretty good deal for a brand new aluminum block engine.

Are my goals realistic? Should I include head work on a stock cube simple LS3 or just use them stock? If so should I port the TB and Intake to go with it or would I be getting diminishing results for more money.

Keep in mind it's. A street car I want to drive in traffic and have great throttle response at 2500-3500 RPM's. Through a TH400 and 12 Bolt with either 3.54 or 3.73 gears
Old 04-28-2016, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Also what would be a good cam to run? I'm thinking small as I don't want to sacrifice low end torque at all. I want as much power in standard driving conditions as possible
Old 04-28-2016, 05:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Depending on what you mean by small cam you won't get to your HP goals with a small cam and dual plane intake.

If you want 500-550 HP you will need to step up the game a bit.

Hear you on the misinformation but there are plenty of actual build threads on here that should give you the info you need.

Keep in mind roller cam LS3 motors have fatter low ends than first gen stuff. You can push the HP up more and still have plenty of bottom end needed for good street manners. An overdrive transmission will add way more "streetability" than cam or intake. Make that a priority over engine mods.

I would start with a stock crate motor, get that running than if you still feel underpowered plan your upgrades from there.

It will not be slow with a stock LS3

You might even consider a carb. I run a carb'd, stock cam LS2 with single plane intake in my 2500# car. It is plenty of motor and has excellent street manners. Since you are considering an aftermarket TBI system the carb will be a very cost effective way to get it on the road. Who knows, you may like that as well.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Depending on what you mean by small cam you won't get to your HP goals with a small cam and dual plane intake.

If you want 500-550 HP you will need to step up the game a bit.

Hear you on the misinformation but there are plenty of actual build threads on here that should give you the info you need.

Keep in mind roller cam LS3 motors have fatter low ends than first gen stuff. You can push the HP up more and still have plenty of bottom end needed for good street manners. An overdrive transmission will add way more "streetability" than cam or intake. Make that a priority over engine mods.

I would start with a stock crate motor, get that running than if you still feel underpowered plan your upgrades from there.

It will not be slow with a stock LS3

You might even consider a carb. I run a carb'd, stock cam LS2 with single plane intake in my 2500# car. It is plenty of motor and has excellent street manners. Since you are considering an aftermarket TBI system the carb will be a very cost effective way to get it on the road. Who knows, you may like that as well.
That's what I was thinking. Everyone claims this 500 RWHP which seems impossible NA

Fwiw I used enough sound deadening and added a stereo with a comfy interior. So it's about 3900 LB's with me in it.

As far as transmission goes I'm thinking gear vendors down the road as I did a custom center console.

I appreciate the advice. How tough will 500 Flywheel be?
Old 04-28-2016, 06:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Why not just buy the LS3/525 H.P. Crate motor and swap intakes?

Last edited by lizeec; 04-28-2016 at 10:55 PM.

Quick Reply: El Camino LS3 Swap?