Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a 73-77 GM A-Body?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone done a 73-77 GM A-Body?

I am going to be mounting my 5.3 in my 73 Monte Carlo soon and am wondering if anyone here has done an A-Body swap of this era yet? I am very curious about headers for the swap and what would fit. BRP makes headers directly for this swap and body style but they are not cheap, would love to know if anyone else has done any trial and error fitments with cheaper options finding something else that works?
Old 05-02-2016, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That car can swallow a Ls no problem. You need to get a direction of what you want and go for it. I suggest a donor car or truck. Many little parts/ etc can be used. Sell off whats left over. I found the china made headers on ebay worked well for me. I used the shorty ones (stainless) around $200, exit by tranny bellhousing. Worked well on my C10 & skylark. I wouldn't use adaptor plates as I ran into the engine wouldn't set on frame mounts without raising them higher. Expands mount bolt holes further apart. Use the adjustable type like dirty dingo. I would also use the newer overdrive tranny. Lt1Swap.com on wiring info/ pcm flashing.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:10 PM
Teching In

I know it will all fit fine, already have the 5.3 with all accessories, I already have Dirty Dingo mounts and a 4L80E. I am just curious what long tube headers I can clear around mounts and firewall.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

The front suspension on those cars is the same as second gen f-bodies. I bet second gen f-body swap headers will work well.

Andrew
Old 03-03-2017, 10:00 AM
Teching In

I'm in the middle of doing a 73 Pontiac Grand Am LS1 swap. Were trying to do a stock but not so we kept all the original interior and gauges but running the LS-1.

Anyone looking to do a Grand Am though let me warn you THIS THING IS A UNICORN!!! Parts are nonexistent so you have to use other A-body parts but they don't always match up. We used the gas tank out of a 73 Chevelle and it was close but an inch smaller all around so we had to adapt that to work.

Hopefully gonna be done in a month or so.

Has anyone done a 73-77 GM A-Body?-img_9231.jpg

Has anyone done a 73-77 GM A-Body?-img_3710.jpg

Has anyone done a 73-77 GM A-Body?-img_3716.jpg
Old 03-03-2017, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Great looking car. I figured these things would've caught on in popularity in recent years more than they have so far. I ended up selling off my project in pieces so I didn't have to lug it all along in an 800 mile move. I don't think I would take another one on again in the future.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 446 Likes on 338 Posts

I just picked up a 73 wagon im planning to drop a 5.3 and nv3500 into.
has anyone tried the ebay long tube headers yet?
or any long tubes for that matter?

I know the front suspension and frame width is the same as a 2g camaro but since thats a subframe car i would bet the frame behind the front control arms is different. not sure though, ive never owned a 2g camaro.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a 73-77 GM A-Body?