Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a quieter muffler

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 03:53 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Hooker maxflow was the best flowing quietest performance muffler in the last big magazine test I saw.

Why not set it up with an electric (or boost activated) cutout and factory type muffler? I use a 4" downpipe and 4" cutout, Then have a dinky 2" pipe "T"'d into it. That alone quiets my 6.0 liter down a TON. can easily talk in the car and thats with no muffler.

This is my whole exhaust system. Flows enough to run 8 sec 1/4 miles and is quiet enough to talk on the phone with the dump closed.

Ok now you got me thinking. Is that really your whole exhaust? No muffler or anything? I know the turbo helps with the noise but cutting the pipe diameter in half like that makes that big of a difference? If so, maybe you are on to a good option for me. 2" main pipe with a boost activated cutout. I might even have room to do that. How is the power difference when you have the cutout closed?
Old 06-23-2016, 04:00 PM
Launching!

Another thought I just came up with since we are on the smaller piping diameter deal. What if I went with a 3" in muffler with dual 2" out?
Old 06-23-2016, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Doesn't look like there's much space to grow there, but you need to figure out what the absolute biggest muffler you can fit is. The larger the can, the quieter it'll be.

There's some good info, including a variety of practical examples, in this thread over on corner-carvers.com. The Dynomax VT, which a couple of folks have mentioned here, seems to get good reviews there, too.

Last edited by AAIIIC; 07-03-2016 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's drone 1/4wave helmholtz pipes are AWESOME but if it's truly just exhaust loudness it's not quite as effective. 3.6liter twin turbo car (flat 6) quiet enough to talk in but loud as hell outside. No mufflers, just Helmholtz pipes and the turbos...
Old 06-24-2016, 03:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say for a 2.2L, compound boost(giggidy) or 2.5" exhaust. I've done 3" exhaust on a turbo 4 cylinder. It's just too loud. I'm really picky though.

On my v8 I'm going to dual 2.5" with a vacuum actuated valve on one side. Dual mode ftw.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by 70 Bug Mid Engine
I could probably fit an oval if i did it offset to the same sides. But do you really thing just switching to an oval would quiet it down? I cant see it making a night and day difference like i need.

yes, oval muffs have more packing inside thus quieter. i think the offset helps quite a bit as well.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:44 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

I wouldn't randomly buy an oval muffler and hope it was quieter....

This was pulled from the article I was talking about with all the DB specs for various mufflers. with FLOW VS DB.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...al-street.html

Originally Posted by 70 Bug Mid Engine
Ok now you got me thinking. Is that really your whole exhaust? No muffler or anything? I know the turbo helps with the noise but cutting the pipe diameter in half like that makes that big of a difference? If so, maybe you are on to a good option for me. 2" main pipe with a boost activated cutout. I might even have room to do that. How is the power difference when you have the cutout closed?
Yes, that's the entire system. Here's a sound clip. I later added a small 2" cherrybomb muffler to it. It didn't make as much difference as I hoped. I'm planning to cut it back off to save the weight. This is an 8 second drag car... 1000ish hp. Sounds like my v6 minivan with a little hole in the muffler at idle and cruise with the dump closed. I don't go WOT with the dump closed. That much back pressure would be bad for the engine.

IMO you don't want to restrict the flow at all when racing/playing with the car. Being able to have "wide open flow" and then restricting the hell out of the system with a cutout closed is the best option by far. I've dont this setup on tons of cars. My daily driver turbo lexus has a 3" DP to a 4" dump. Then I run the factory 1 7/8 4 muffler exhaust system. With the turbo and 4 mufflers you get OEM like sound levels with the dump closed. With the dump open and some drag radials, my 3750lb family car makes enough power to run 11's and is super obnoxious.

Little video of the cutout on it...

http://vid17.photobucket.com/albums/...o/MVI_2860.mp4

Last edited by Forcefed86; 06-26-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Thanks for that link. looks like all the quietest mufflers are of the oval type, or am I reading it wrong?
Old 06-27-2016, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

maybe try some silencers, you can buy silencers that slide into the muffler, I'm sure it'll hurt flow but it should quiet it down, maybe try youtube to find a slip on silencer that works, theres is quiet a few different designs to choose from, fairly cheap too
Old 06-27-2016, 11:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nissan LS240
maybe try some silencers, you can buy silencers that slide into the muffler, I'm sure it'll hurt flow but it should quiet it down, maybe try youtube to find a slip on silencer that works, theres is quiet a few different designs to choose from, fairly cheap too
I did think about that. Never heard one in person. I will have to do a search and see if i can find a comparison. This would be the easiest option.

I had a friend take the bug around the block tonight and from the outside, it really isnt that loud. After it was 500ft away, you could barely hear it. Maybe i just need to put the rest of the interior in....
Old 06-29-2016, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Which way do your exhaust tips point?

Wrapping the exhaust will help some, especially in the interior.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:41 PM
Launching!

The exhaust points slightly down maybe at a 15° angle. It is a pretty good leaf blower.

I have heard that wrapping stainless exhaust is bad. Causes it to crack. I could be wrong though. My header is mild steel and coated in ceramic so that could work up there.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not just install the interior panels and some dynomat and see how it is then?
I think you made the panels, right?
You might not have an issue at all.

I bought some 1" wide x 1/8" closed cell foam with adhesive backing from mcmaster.com to seal panels against flanges. It might help you get a good seal.

Doug
Old 06-29-2016, 10:42 PM
Launching!

Doug - you may be very well correct. It could just be the interior not being in. But.....

I have real results. Busted the decibel meter out.

Idle @ 5 ft 107 db
Idle @ 15 ft 96 db
3000 rpms @ 15 ft 100 db
Rev @ 15 ft 113 db

And the video. Btw it revs faster then my tach can handle. Havent run in to that problem before....

Old 06-30-2016, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

That is definitely enough dB to cause hearing damage.

If you want to try wrap to reduce heat and noise I suggest the rattle can ceramic coat for the rest of the exhaust then wrapping it after its cured. Rust won't be an issue unless you plan on mudding or driving through rain frequently.... doubt that car is built for either.

To reduce interior insanity try extending or moving the exhaust tip to point out from under the car. Maybe even put a bend to run another muffler or splt the waves like you mentioned earlier with 3" inlet - dual 2" outlet muffler. Basically sound waves will echo between the car and street, sending pressure waves back up and through the car, sort of like dumped exhaust or open headers.

Dynamat and mass backing will help a little. I shove carpet jute into body panel dead space. Carpet jute works for Merc, BMW, Jags, Aston, Lexus, etc so its certainly good enough for my junk.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:57 PM
Launching!

Here are some pictures of how the tip is.

Name:  20160629_185036_zpszocuvd1f.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  124.7 KB

Name:  20160629_184936_zpsjuulxsjh.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  122.3 KB

All the panels inside have some sort of dynamat on them. The only one that doesn't is the carbon hatch that goes over the engine. But yes, 113 db is quite loud.

Last edited by 70 Bug Mid Engine; 06-30-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A few more ideas: ear plugs get them on amazon in bulk. or bose noise canceling head phones for the premium solution.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ah tips and echo don't look like an issue from that pic.

Thinking an offset muffler will be your best bet. Not sure how well the single 3 inlet / dual 2.5 outlet will cut down on the dB, only one I know for sure I heard was a flowmaster and that truck ran and sounded like ***.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:30 PM
Teching In

I couldn't even begin to guess how it would sound on your application, but since you mentioned not considering Flowmaster...

I wanted a quiet muffler for a LS swap with long tubes, and tried a Flowmaster Hushpro because of its size/ local availability thinking it would give me space enough to run additional oval mufflers if needed. Sounded really quiet with just the hushpros, and no issue on the highway (DD 150 mile a day commuter).

Quick Reply: Need a quieter muffler