Diablo Grotesque, Pre-build, planning thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diablo Grotesque, Pre-build, planning thread

The basic idea... A c4 kart along the lines of

http://www.motortrend.com/news/c4-co...-new-roadkill/

Built for the 2017 Grass Roots Motorsports challenge.
Built with the help and cooperation of the local high school shop class.

Plan is to buy a 2wd truck with a 4.8 and 4l60e and use as much of it as possible while selling off the unused parts to "recoup" the budget.

Id like to swap in l33 heads (l33 block would be nice too) and an ls6 cam. keep the truck intake, gauges, ecm, harness ect.

Hopefully I can almost "zero out" the budget, leaving me $1500 or more for an ebay or junkyard rear mount turbo, tubing for the roll cage, a home built meth injection set and a cheap fuel cell.

Hopefully resulting in a 2500 lb (or less) 450-550 hp dune-buggy based on a 90 corvette frame and suspension.

My first question is how the l33 heads and ls6 cam (figure these can be had relatively cheap) will work with the high rev nature of the 4.8, and then how the whole beast would react when subjected to boost.

Second is how to score cheap or nearly free injectors that will fit the combo and support relatively high power levels.

Third is the difference in driveshaft lengths, and is there a cheap (er) work around, or will that suck up a lot of my budget.

I of course have an idea in my head of how I THINK things should work, but I know there is a LOT of information and experience on this forum, and Id like to pick your brains BEFORE I buy anything... Except the corvette, and it is already slated to die...

I plan to be as hands on with this as possible, but I am really excited to work with the school, and we plan to try for the "highest scoring car built predominately by students" award.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

I like where this is going, but it seems better to stick with NA instead of going turbo for an insurance road racing type application....

I think the L33 heads (you can also look for 799 heads off Gen IV 5.3L engines) and the LS6 cam should work fine. It may not be optimal, but for a budget build, who cares?

Andrew
Old 07-30-2016, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even at 7lbs of boost, it will add 100 to 200 hp all day long, with the occasional run up to 12 pounds adding 200 to 300.

Now, I WILL blow up this motor running 12 or more pounds... however, the short block runs $250, even if i use the l33 heads and one or more of them bites it... your talking a 5 or $600 fix, assuming I can fit boost in the budget, I am not sure of the downside?

But these sorts of comments, info and ideas are why I decided to start a Pre-build thread.

Last edited by Crazier; 07-31-2016 at 06:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Diablo Grotesque, Pre-build, planning thread