Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pass Side Injectors losing Voltage through Main coil plug

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pass Side Injectors losing Voltage through Main coil plug

The car has been running great since the swap last year, but last week my CE light went off pointing to a P0200 and P0106 faults.

P0200 - Injector Circuit
P0106 - MAP Circult

I dived in and started troubleshooting the issue, and I was able to quickly determine I had less than 3V at all of the injector plugs. I then checked the fuses in the block and both were OK. I then took my multimeter and started checking other items on that same trunk, and I found I had less than the 5V reference needed for the MAP sensor.

Fast forward several hours, and i'll isolated the issue to the Coil Main Connector Plug. When the plug is out, I have 12V at the inj and 5V at the MAP. When I reinstall the main Coil plug, I lose voltage at both inj and MAP. I then swapped the driver and passenger side coils and no difference, but I was able to determine the original passenger side coils worked find on the drivers side with 12V everywhere whether plugged or unplugged. The drivers side made no difference.

I've checked the trunk line and don't see any wire issues, but I would expect that since I have 12V when unplugged. I must be grounding out something when I install the main plug, but I can't find anything wrong anywhere.

Any ideas?
Old 07-30-2016, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,389 Likes on 878 Posts

Loose ground on the the back of the heads?

Andrew
Old 07-30-2016, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Loose ground on the the back of the heads?

Andrew
Andrew,
I checked those when I found the voltage low initally. Both are tight and showing no damage to the wires.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by analyte
Andrew,
I checked those when I found the voltage low initally. Both are tight and showing no damage to the wires.
So it has to be in the wiring on the passenger side, before the coil harness, right?

Do you have any wires going through the firewall? Maybe something rubbed through the insulation?

Andrew
Old 07-30-2016, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

I do agree on the pass side wiring, but why wouldn't it ground out without plugging in the main coil connector. That's what has me confused.... If something has rubbed through, it should ground out regardless of whether that plug is in or out. Correct?

I do have the main line going through the firewall as the ECM is under the dash. I do have a grommet, but I'll have to crawl under there to check the insulation throughout.

Whats funny is everything was fine 6 weeks ago when I parked it for the front suspension upgrades. Nothing is near the wiring so it's weird that all of a sudden it's grounding out or something else..
Old 07-30-2016, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Have you checked the plug itself? It's just a MetriPack connector....maybe something inside is bad?

I can sympathies with you given my recent electrical problems with the Cougar.

Andrew
Old 07-30-2016, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

I looked over the hot wire real close, and even pulled it hot to take a closer look. I didn't see anything wrong with it, no burn marks or other abnormal signs as compared to the other side.

Is there another better way to tell if a MetriPack is bad? I do wonder if maybe the wire is being pushed back when connected, but I couldn't figure out a way to check voltage while plugged in.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:11 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Random thought that I had:

It might be worthwhile to enlist a 2nd pair of hands/eyes with this - one person to gently wiggle the harness at different locations, while the other keeps an eye on the voltage in question. That might help to locate the problem.

Good luck, I'll be watching this thread to see what the resolution is.

Originally Posted by analyte
I looked over the hot wire real close, and even pulled it hot to take a closer look. I didn't see anything wrong with it, no burn marks or other abnormal signs as compared to the other side.

Is there another better way to tell if a MetriPack is bad? I do wonder if maybe the wire is being pushed back when connected, but I couldn't figure out a way to check voltage while plugged in.
I don't have a lot of experience with this, but what I might do is to disconnect it from the voltage & measure resistance and/or continuity on the voltage wire in question, as well as on some of the other wires going that through that connector. I hope that's helpful.

Last edited by Cheese Weasel; 07-31-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Cheese Weasel
Random thought that I had:

It might be worthwhile to enlist a 2nd pair of hands/eyes with this - one person to gently wiggle the harness at different locations, while the other keeps an eye on the voltage in question. That might help to locate the problem.

Good luck, I'll be watching this thread to see what the resolution is.

I don't have a lot of experience with this, but what I might do is to disconnect it from the voltage & measure resistance and/or continuity on the voltage wire in question, as well as on some of the other wires going that through that connector. I hope that's helpful.
The wife just got back so I'm going to take your advice since I'm unable to find any wiring defects. Maybe just shaking things like you suggested will help localize something.

Thanks!!
Old 07-31-2016, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

Well, I'll close this out with what I found. After swapping everything to isolate the issue, I picked up a circuit light this morning since my old one bit the dust.

I checked every wire from the fuse box to the ECM and everywhere else for any defects. After seeing the post from Cheese Weasel, I got the wife outside with circuit light on the injector plug and I started wiggling wires to see if anything made the light brighter. Finally, I was able to isolate the problem to the the fuse box main wire plug that connects it to the ECM.

It was still connected, but it somehow had worked loose just enough to limit or short out the available voltage for the passenger side. Totally weird thing, but I just gave pressure to each side and while it didn't really move the voltage came back and the car is fine now.

I'll pull apart the connector and add some di-electric grease to help maintain the connection. Maybe it needs to be replaced as this was not fun to chase over the last 1.5 days. Nonetheless, I found my issue and will now plan for a performance solution to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Thanks for all the help!!

Kerry
Old 08-01-2016, 04:03 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Excellent - I'm glad you were able to track it down!
Old 08-01-2016, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Glad you found it Kerry. Post some pics of the offending connector.

Andrew
Old 08-03-2016, 10:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Glad you found it Kerry. Post some pics of the offending connector.

Andrew
I'll get a pic when i add the grease. in my wisdom of hiding wires it lives behind the fender.....figures

Quick Reply: Pass Side Injectors losing Voltage through Main coil plug