Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Microsquirt with a/c and traction control, is it possible?

Old 08-19-2016, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Microsquirt with a/c and traction control, is it possible?

My knowledge of Microsquirt capabilities is basically none. I know it's a cheap way to get an LS1 up running and people say it's very tune-able. Is there any problem running it with an a/c system and what fixes/work arounds are possible. My swap is into an old Jag w/M6 and would be using it's a/c controllers as much as possible with updated a/c compressor. Also, can traction control be had with Microsquirt? TIA.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:10 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ms3pro in my setup, piggybacked with factory ecm. A/C, cruise control, closed loop traction control.

Still have a few things to sort out but its getting there. Id start by reading the manual if you dont know what you are getting into. Megasquirt is very user involved, and you need to know what youre doing to make it work correctly.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know that I would call microsquirt cheap, especially when compared to a stock pull out that you can get practically free with a 5.3 motor. Microsquirt does allow you a lot of creativity. But what little I know about microsquirt the time I considered using it, it is very much hands on.

As for traction control that really should hook into the ABS system, which in my opinion is a completely different animal. IMO ABS is not a backyard project. Even once the hardware is there it takes a good bit of engineer level tuning to make sure it works right with the swap vehicle. I guess you could do a form of traction control that just limits throttle movement. I have a right foot for that. But ABS can help redirect torque from a single wheel to the other.

A bit of a thread hyjack but to dckmn52, I was wondering why someone would want to run a stock ECM and microsquirt?

As a do it yourself guy I fully understand wanting to build something, but what does microsquirt allow you to do that you can't do with a stock ECM and say hptuners?

I know microsquirt is a viable option to the Bosch jetronic systems used on old Z cars. But seems like if you already have incurred the expense of a modern stock ECM why not use it?
Old 08-21-2016, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 96 Likes on 67 Posts

Micro traction is a no. Limited in and outputs do not allow tooth wheel inputs. Ms3 works great with traction control capabilities. I drove and tested my buddies 427 twin turbo 68 fastback mustang with front wheel and driveshaft speed sensors set up for traction control. Works perfect and is infinitely tune able. Prevents spinning and or lifting front end on boosted launch quite well.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was afraid of that. I had come across some discussions on some other boards about T/C, but they weren't very clear which ECM (Mega vs Micro) they were using. Hoping that there might have been a third party software/hardware to make it happen.

Pop N Wood having T/C tied into ABS sounds more like stability control not T/C. You can have T/C by using front/rear wheel speed differential and control the engine by fuel restriction/retarded timing/skip a cylinder in firing order/reduce boost. In motorcycle racing it's been done like that for years and works well. Are you talking about piggy backing and using the ABS sensors? Not trying to start an argument, just not understanding the need for ABS in an aftermarket application?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Microsquirt with a/c and traction control, is it possible?