Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tapping into block for mechanical temperature and oil pressure guages

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 05:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tapping into block for mechanical temperature and oil pressure guages

What is the best way to get a temperature guage and oil pressure guage with an LS1 conversion, eg. I wish to use my factory guages from my 1977 model car with LS1 engine.

Do I need to tap into the block to install a temp sender and oil pressure sender or is there a blank tap I can already use?
Old 06-20-2004, 09:11 AM
TECH Regular

oil pressure- just tap into the removable boss above the oil filter.

water temp- I tapped into one of the outlets for the heater hoses. Im not running a heater so it didnt matter to me. Ive been told it affects the way the thermostat opens though. I havent noticed anything, but who knows. Most people loop a hose from one port tothe other.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Best i have heard is to tap into removable cover above oil filter like said above and then use your original sender. And to pull plug from passenger head and tap it for your original temp sender, that is what i am going to do on mine to retain factory gauges. But the idea of using a heater hose wouldnt be too bad, dont have to drill head.

Clint
Old 06-20-2004, 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

You can drill and tap the head while its on the block correct? os should you take it off to flush it out?

Kyle
Old 06-21-2004, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I pulled the head to drill and tap the hole for the water temp sender but I don't think it was necessary. It only took 10 minutes to pull the head and another 10 to put everything back on. Head swaps are going to be easy on this car!!!

I stuck some paper towels down into the hold, held a shop vac up to the hole while a drilled, and put some grease on the drill bit to hold any shavings that didn't get loose. I think all of that did a pretty good job. Just remember to remove the paper towels. (I had the sender torqued down before I remembered that they were in there...)

Quick Reply: Tapping into block for mechanical temperature and oil pressure guages